MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Higher Level Econ Courses? Fa11enAnge1 Academics 6 05-17-2010 09:50 AM
Anyone in 2nd or higher years of Social Work? Ansa Academics 3 02-11-2010 12:48 PM
A Question For Second Year Engineers and Higher blahzay First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 01-14-2010 09:49 PM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM

IS there ANY incentive to get HIGHER THAN 90?

Old 10-14-2010 at 12:39 AM   #16
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Lol...take my econ quizzes for example, I would rather see all 100s than 90s... a three number grade is hot. /end Asianness
You mentioned this a couple of times, so either you're being humorous or you fail to recognize the triviality of those quizzes. Each is worth 1%, the TA's give you about 35 minutes for 10 easy multiple choice questions, you can discuss with the person beside you, and about 25% of the people in the course have the answer key when they start bubbling (ever wonder why people start getting up to return their scantron 2 minutes into the quiz?). Oh, and don't forget the 2% assignments, where virtually every question is taken from another source that includes an answer key. Try googling the exact question on the next assignment you have to complete- see what happens.

Last edited by Toast : 10-14-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2010 at 01:06 AM   #17
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
You mentioned this a couple of times, so either you're being humorous or you fail to recognize the triviality of those quizzes. Each is worth 1%, the TA's give you about 35 minutes for 10 easy multiple choice questions, you can discuss with the person beside you, and about 25% of the people in the course have the answer key when they start bubbling (ever wonder why people start getting up to return their scantron 2 minutes into the quiz?). Oh, and don't forget the 2% assignments, where virtually every question is taken from another source that includes an answer key. Try googling the exact question on the next assignment you have to complete- see what happens.
I'm currently in macro. The trivial quizzes are done online. And I still like 3 digit grades.
Old 10-14-2010 at 01:13 AM   #18
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Nobody 'aims' for a mark. They do their best. Stupid thread.
I feel like this needed to be said again.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 10-14-2010 at 10:03 AM   #19
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
No you wouldn't. You would put higher value on the time spent studying for other exams, but you wouldn't skip the exam itself.

Working hard to get a mark over 90 means you put in the extra effort to study the material and learn and incorporate the course material into your brain. If you didn't have the incentive to say, get a mark over 70, because you're fine with a B, then you're a B kind of person. Getting the full grasp of the material gives you considerable advantages other than the grade point...
I said I wouldn't study, not skip the exam. Big difference. In this hypothetical world, if I already had a mark high enough enough in a class to allow me to get a zero on the exam and STILL get a 90 in the class(as had been propositioned) then chances are I already know my shit well enough that I'll do fine on the exam. And knowing that + the fact that I don't require a particular mark on the exam to get a final grade I'm happy with, I straight up would not study.
If marks weren't involved I would never study...I don't actually LEARN anything when I study..I think it's a pain in the ass. My effort and learning in a class are rarely reflective of my mark. I've gotten amazing marks without learning a thing, and gotten not as great marks, but learned and retained and used what I learned long afterwards...and enjoyed it far more.

Old 10-14-2010 at 06:57 PM   #20
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
I feel like this needed to be said again.
no one "tries their best"...that would imply having no social life. everyone has a standard they aim for, and if you truly did "try your best" there would be no reason for you not to be getting a 12 in every course, which i assume you arent getting.
Old 10-14-2010 at 07:16 PM   #21
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
no one "tries their best"...that would imply having no social life. everyone has a standard they aim for, and if you truly did "try your best" there would be no reason for you not to be getting a 12 in every course, which i assume you arent getting.
Haha. I know Kevin, he's pretty smart. Though if I do remember correctly, he did call me dumb once.
Old 10-14-2010 at 07:51 PM   #22
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
Haha. I know Kevin, he's pretty smart. Though if I do remember correctly, he did call me dumb once.
LOL.

And yeah, I'm going to have to say doing your best =/= getting 12s in every course. Assuming you have extra-curriculars (e.g., rowing, marching band....) ;] then splitting up your time with those extra-curriculars, and relaxing (because working 24/7 isn't even conducive to doing well) means you'll likely not have enough time to work enough to get 12s in every course.

The smarter you are, the less you have to work, so it is possible, but sometimes things just don't go as planned, the test(s) or examinations are totally stupid, and you don't get a 12. Doesn't mean you didn't do all you could.

EDIT: And I agree that Kevin is pretty smart >_>
Old 10-14-2010 at 09:43 PM   #23
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
bro or sis, trying your best never guarantees a 12. The outcome never is in your hands, only the amount of effort you can put is.

Don't do things because you desire the end result.. do things to show your ability and excellence. This way, success will follow inevitably.

amyshi likes this.