MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
A "list of things to do before you graduate" noghi General Discussion 4 03-06-2010 07:44 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Is there a "do not bring" list?

Old 03-29-2013 at 02:27 PM   #1
jrol

Liked: 3 Times

Is there a "do not bring" list?
I'm getting things that I'll need ready for res and I'm wondering what NOT to bring. I know no fridge, microwave, coffee pot, etc. (I'll most likely be in traditional). No pets obviously (except fish apparently).

The big question I have is incandescent or florescent light bulbs. I want to get a desk/bed side lamp, but don't know what kind to get.
Old 03-29-2013 at 02:29 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

why are u getting ready so early. and the desk they give u comes with a good light. no need for ur own light. it would just take up space.
Old 03-29-2013 at 02:37 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

For a bedside lamp or desk lamp, the type of lamp you get will dictate the type of lightbulbs that you will need...
You don't need to buy lightbulbs for the lights that come with your room, if they burn out it's Mac that is responsible for replacing them.
Old 03-29-2013 at 03:19 PM   #4
jrol

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
why are u getting ready so early. and the desk they give u comes with a good light. no need for ur own light. it would just take up space.
Because I don't like to leave everything until the last minute. I'd rather slowly get stuff over the next 5 months than go buy everything at once. Are you sure the desks come with a light? It doesn't mention that in the "room includes" section.

I know that the type of lamp I get will dictate the light bulb. But most universities have a ban against a certain kind of light bulbs. It's either florescent or incandescent but I don't remember which.

kaitotst likes this.
Old 03-29-2013 at 03:43 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrol View Post
Because I don't like to leave everything until the last minute. I'd rather slowly get stuff over the next 5 months than go buy everything at once. Are you sure the desks come with a light? It doesn't mention that in the "room includes" section.

I know that the type of lamp I get will dictate the light bulb. But most universities have a ban against a certain kind of light bulbs. It's either florescent or incandescent but I don't remember which.
Yes, the lamp is mentioned in the "room inventory" section.

The university has no policy regarding light bulbs.

In August there will be a "Welcome Day" where you can go into the specific residence you'll be living in and see what a sample room looks like/includes and measure the size of the room if you wish. I understand not wanting to leave everything until the last minute, but there is such a thing as "too early" lol, especially since the specifics will be sent to you later on. It's better to hold off so that you don't buy stuff that you don't need.

Last edited by starfish : 03-29-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2013 at 03:55 PM   #6
jingletunes

Liked: 28 Times

your mom!

12char/

Old 03-29-2013 at 04:31 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

It depends. The lamp I got I didn't like so I brought my own.

Don't bring mini fridges, that is only allowed if you rent from them (dumb rule)
Old 03-29-2013 at 10:47 PM   #8
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

You can always "sneak in" small items, some of the CAs don't have a problem with it, but just make sure they're not lying around. Especially during the winter where they come to inspect your room, don't have it out in the open.

Old 03-29-2013 at 10:53 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrol View Post

this is early as fuck. and the shit you should bring should only take like 5-10 minutes to think of. and i am sure desks come with a light. y would i lie to u. ur already over stressed n shit