MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teach Me How to Balance Fair Mali MacInsiders Announcements 6 03-08-2012 06:11 PM
Can someone teach me to troll? AdelaisAer General Discussion 32 09-19-2011 11:15 PM
How do you find out which TAs teach which tutorials? Anna21 Academics 3 09-15-2011 01:33 PM
want to know why professors don't teach? AnguishedEnd General Discussion 11 09-23-2009 08:07 PM
Teach English Abroad dacrown4life General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 12:30 PM

Is this what they teach you how to do at Degroote?

Old 04-08-2013 at 07:42 AM   #16
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

This isnt too uncommon. My dad works for CGI and recently he was working on a project for another company and when they were finished putting up the infrastructure and the programming the company brought in people from India who stayed here for a few months while my dad had to teach them how to maintain the system and perform upgrades and tune ups and all that programming stuff. Once they had been taught they were shipped back to India and now do the job from there.

There are also companies, many mining ones, and even franchise owners that bring in temporary foreigner workers to work in Canada. CBC also did a story on this a few months back where they found that several Tim Hortons franchise owners were brining in temps from south america to work at their locations. They would house 10-15 of them in a small house (which the temps had to pay rent for that was ~$500/month), and somehow get away with paying them less than min wage. It was totally legal to do that apparently and they were getting away with it scot free.
There are also Asian mining companies that bring in people from china, Taiwan, and other east Asian countries and do the same as the Tims people above.

Also, To Simon; This is not good for our economy. In the case of the bank and with my dads job, the temps are only here for a few weeks to months. they contribute nothing to us. They go back to India, or where ever they are from, soon after they are finished learning the job. In the long run its just hurting us.

So what I'm getting at first is that, although in this case the temps are replacing Canadians.... their jobs were about to be outsourced anyways; they mentioned in the report that the bank was going to transfer that section to India in a few months. The more pressing issue is that companies, and even individuals, are somehow allowed by our flawed system to bring in foreign workers, to work on our land, take our jobs, and get away with paying them less than min wage.
I think our unemployment rate is currently 7.2%. Instead of training our people to work in such industries the government is allowing foreign/national companies to bring in foreign workers on the basis that there aren't any skilled ones in Canada.
What a load of BULLSHIT.
Also, I would like to point out that India is not the only country to which our jobs are outsourced, as explained above. A lot of people have this misconception (stereotypic view) and often, when ever there is a case of outsourcing like this, always blame the Indians. -_- (even though in this case it is the Indian workers coming in, but that's mainly do to the sector) diff sectors have diff people from various countries that they out source to, India isn't the only one. (sry just a pet peeve of mine that a lot of people are really ignorant on the subject and just jump on the band wagon when something like this shows up)

Last edited by Chevalier : 04-08-2013 at 07:49 AM.

andrew22, Eric_G all say thanks to Chevalier for this post.

Eric_G likes this.
Old 04-08-2013 at 09:11 AM   #17
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Why shouldnt they do this. They are a private business. They have the right to get the best "bang for their buck" which is hardly Canadians. Replacing local workers with cheap, foreign workers is a sound and profitable business strategy.

Anyone in a business or management program is going to dismiss this comment, but "why shouldn't they do this" is easily answered by "PEOPLE, Planet, Profit". I should point out that your only justification for why they SHOULD do this is "profit" (" Replacing local workers with cheap, foreign workers is a sound and profitable business strategy.")

Where is the effort to consider the society that is being impacted, and the planet (however that one may be thought of.... I think the bigger concern here is "people")?

And no: These imported employees aren't often coming here for a life-change, and to begin a new life in Canada. They are often temp workers who have moved for some amount of time, and who are saving every penny to send back home, because you can't just bring your whole family to Canada because one member has a small-time job.

Regardless, I have no doubts that my reference to "People, Planet, Profit" will be laughed off by the management and business folks...

Eric_G says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

chappy89, Eric_G like this.
Old 04-08-2013 at 11:09 AM   #18
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

If you think I give 2 shits about what you think, you are sadly mistaken. Clearly my response has rustled your jimmies at 4 am. Just like how rbc rustled cbcs.

shreebee likes this.
Old 04-08-2013 at 11:38 AM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

This is nothing!

I am not sure if they still do this bu the Popeyes near Mohawk Stoney Creek, attempted outsourcing its front end ordering system They were testing it last time I was there, the employees them selves found it funny.

The mounted a tablet to the front cash and had a microphone, the person on the other end was taking your order and sending it back to the POS. You could hear a baby crying at the back.

Best experience ever!
Old 04-08-2013 at 11:58 AM   #20
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
If you think I give 2 shits about what you think, you are sadly mistaken. Clearly my response has rustled your jimmies at 4 am. Just like how rbc rustled cbcs.

[IMG][/IMG]
whoa whoa slow down. I don't understand the hostility. i sincerely thought you were being sarcastic and doing satire. are you telling me....it wasn't?

Also why are my posts hidden?
Old 04-08-2013 at 06:14 PM   #21
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Anyone in a business or management program is going to dismiss this comment, but "why shouldn't they do this" is easily answered by "PEOPLE, Planet, Profit". I should point out that your only justification for why they SHOULD do this is "profit" (" Replacing local workers with cheap, foreign workers is a sound and profitable business strategy.")

Where is the effort to consider the society that is being impacted, and the planet (however that one may be thought of.... I think the bigger concern here is "people")?

And no: These imported employees aren't often coming here for a life-change, and to begin a new life in Canada. They are often temp workers who have moved for some amount of time, and who are saving every penny to send back home, because you can't just bring your whole family to Canada because one member has a small-time job.

Regardless, I have no doubts that my reference to "People, Planet, Profit" will be laughed off by the management and business folks...
I wasnt saying I like the fact that RBC is hiring useless temp workers. Nor was I considering any type of contributions to communities, canadians, or canada as a whole by hiring its own workforce. I personally disagree with RBC here and would like to see the temp workers gone. But ultimately RBC doesnt care what I think. Nor do they care about surrounding communities, people or Canada as a whole (except in the context where if the communities get too bad they will no longer be able to support RBC and its profit/revenue). They care about the final figure at the end of the quarter that plays the largest impact in determining their stock price. In management it is VERY common for the most cut throat and selfish people to make the highest levels of management within large companies. This is mitigated in tech companies quite a bit but in finance....
Old 04-09-2013 at 07:32 AM   #22
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

OH I'LL TELL YOU WHAT THEY TEACH AT DEGROOTE!
you can take a class with nick bontis. he'll explain to you how to set up a twitter and facebook account and then merge the two. or you can read his column in the spectator and he'll explain how its hard to keep up with so many tweets. YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS!
Old 04-09-2013 at 12:04 PM   #23
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

Solid troll, I am impressed.