MacInsiders Logo

Think you have a hardcore mom?!

Old 01-09-2011 at 07:32 PM   #16
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart15 View Post
Who says Asians become the top neurosurgeons in the country...quite a generalization. Getting into any professional school is about personal work ethic, not a matter of parental 'torture' to coerce you into completing tasks. By 20 a person be they white or asian should be capable of making decisions on their own (To study or to not study) so what difference does it make to positively encourage children at a young age vs. bombarding them with totalitarian methods...

What is for sure though is that in a comparison between Asians and North Americans I am positive that more North Americans can agree that they have better relationships with their parents than Asians do (Heard it from an Asian myself and it's not hard to believe).
Wow.

A) You seemed to "like" what Kendoon was saying, ignoring the fact that the negative portrayal of asians was stereotypical. However, when a positive portrayal of asians is stereotypical you're the first to reject it. Nice.

B) It's very rare for people to drastically alter their habits and consequently their grades after a certain age. I've seen so many people say "oh no I screwed up first year can I still get into med school" - these same people never come back and say they got in, because guess what, it's not as easy to go from 60s to 95s in one semester just because "he/she felt like trying now".

Sure, people have a decision to study or not, but someone who has been studying hard their entire lives will find it 50x easier to get their work done compared to someone who hasn't. Also, as with anything, practicing studying so much makes you more efficient at it meaning they'll have an upper hand in that regard also.

Difference between "positively encourage children at a young age vs. bombarding them with totalitarian methods..." - few children can be encouraged, and to be honest it's just not as effective as forcing them to do something.

And ****ing LOL @ how you think "white" people have better relationships with their parents than asians do. That's the biggest joke of the year. Is that why I bet you've NEVER heard of an asian kid running away from home? Getting a tattoo or piercing against the wishes of their parents? Swearing at their parents? Breaking into their liquor cabinet to participate in under-age drinking?

And when they're older - people in Asia usually end up incorporating their parents into their home, i.e., they're not shipped off to some old age home and visited once every few months, they live with their children.

Old 01-09-2011 at 07:36 PM   #17
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Wow.

A) You seemed to "like" what Kendoon was saying, ignoring the fact that the negative portrayal of asians was stereotypical. However, when a positive portrayal of asians is stereotypical you're the first to reject it. Nice.

B) It's very rare for people to drastically alter their habits and consequently their grades after a certain age. I've seen so many people say "oh no I screwed up first year can I still get into med school" - these same people never come back and say they got in, because guess what, it's not as easy to go from 60s to 95s in one semester just because "he/she felt like trying now".

Sure, people have a decision to study or not, but someone who has been studying hard their entire lives will find it 50x easier to get their work done compared to someone who hasn't. Also, as with anything, practicing studying so much makes you more efficient at it meaning they'll have an upper hand in that regard also.

Difference between "positively encourage children at a young age vs. bombarding them with totalitarian methods..." - few children can be encouraged, and to be honest it's just not as effective as forcing them to do something.

And ****ing LOL @ how you think "white" people have better relationships with their parents than asians do. That's the biggest joke of the year. Is that why I bet you've NEVER heard of an asian kid running away from home? Getting a tattoo or piercing against the wishes of their parents? Swearing at their parents? Breaking into their liquor cabinet to participate in under-age drinking?

And when they're older - people in Asia usually end up incorporating their parents into their home, i.e., they're not shipped off to some old age home and visited once every few months, they live with their children.
But wait, he spoke to 1 asian person, he HAS to be right.

Alchemist11, crazyfree like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:36 PM   #18
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Wow.

tl;dr

please hit ctrl+A after you read this message because I felt kinda bad

i was baiting and feel bad that idiots that actually do think that way latched on to that stupid way of thinking so my bad

Alchemist11, BlakeM like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:37 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I did B)

In fact, it's the only way I got into university. I mean for ****s sake, I failed grade 9 french LOL.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Rakim likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:49 PM   #20
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Asian parents that think life revolves around school is plain stupid. This goes for every other races too.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:55 PM   #21
esaad91

Liked: 1 Time

Huh what??

Old 01-09-2011 at 07:57 PM   #22
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaad91 View Post
Huh what??

Are you referring to my comment?
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:58 PM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The first sentence of the article kind of says it all for me:

"A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids"

To this author, "successful" means having a really good (ultimately, high paying) job from hard school work. I would rather have a decent job, be happy, have a fun childhood, experience different things to find my likes and dislikes, etc. I feel bad for the daughters of the author. Their lives sound so boring to me.

Old 01-09-2011 at 07:59 PM   #24
esaad91

Liked: 1 Time

Nahh

Old 01-09-2011 at 08:02 PM   #25
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:

This is completely wrong.

I'd love to show you my grade report.
Old 01-09-2011 at 08:05 PM   #26
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
This is completely wrong.

I'd love to show you my grade report.
I'd show him mine but it would prove the rule so LOL AFK

Old 01-09-2011 at 08:05 PM   #27
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Ummm I think there should be a middle between the way wester people treat their kids and the way eastern parents treat their kids. For example, most of the western parents treat their kids like they are retarded and let them do w/e the fuk they want pretty much to not let their self-esteem come down. On the other hand, eastern parents have brought their kids into these better countries and try to pretty much act like they own their life now. I was not allowed to play any sports and shit because my rents thought it was dangerous and waste of time cause if your not gonna become Mats sundin or kobe bryant, there is no point. Even though, I know my parents meant well for me but I always have that regret that maybe I could've excelled in sports. I am pretty much mediocre in everything because I rebelled against my parents all the time by not getting good marks.

I think eastern parents should still force good manners and all of the rules on their kids but also let their kids enjoy every aspect of the life. Otherwise, I know many like me who have grown with regrets. Also, eastern parents will sacrifice more for their kids over western parents. However, western parenting seems better overall in a way that they let their kids choose what they want to be. So it might take a kid a bit to figure out what he likes, but once he figures that out, he works hard for it and excels @ it. On the other hand, I know many brown kids who are in medicine but wanted to be painter or photographer but their rentz didn't let them.

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 01-09-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Tailsnake likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 08:05 PM   #28
fred

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
damn kamran have you never met an asian person before going to university? LOL

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 08:06 PM   #29
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I think anytime someone comes to a country with opportunties for their kids they will want their kids to make the most out of it. Thats why so many immigrant parents are so strict, compared to parents born and raised in Canada or US who Im sure most of the time have different experiences.

Amita24 likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 08:06 PM   #30
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklink121 View Post

That is all.

darklink121, Rakim like this.