MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Program change M1234 General Discussion 6 04-03-2012 08:55 AM
Eng Phys Program Change jntyrhds Academics 3 02-22-2012 04:34 PM
is program change still possible? wjd1dud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-09-2011 10:26 AM
Program Change don.999 Academics 5 08-26-2009 10:26 AM
Can you still change your program? Raeann89 Academics 3 05-31-2008 04:48 AM

THINKING of Program Change

Old 09-08-2012 at 10:20 AM   #1
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

THINKING of Program Change
The title describes my issue. I have been thinking about it. At this point, would it even be possible to change programs? I know its super late. But I already doubt myself after this week. I thought engineering is what I wanted to pursue. But I honestly do not know if I can handle it anymore. My skills seems to be more suited on the math side. There is so much pressure being placed on me( 1st gen university student).

Would greatly appreciate everyone's comments/input.

**Computer Engineering**
Old 09-08-2012 at 12:05 PM   #2
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
The title describes my issue. I have been thinking about it. At this point, would it even be possible to change programs? I know its super late. But I already doubt myself after this week. I thought engineering is what I wanted to pursue. But I honestly do not know if I can handle it anymore. My skills seems to be more suited on the math side. There is so much pressure being placed on me( 1st gen university student).

first week of uni is really difficult to some and a lot of us start to wonder if we can make it through the year
i say if engineering is your passion stick with it !
study hard, ask questions, go to all your classes and you will pass and get good grades
its a challenge and you need to be up to it
if you are not interested in engineering and have no passion for it then switch ( i think you should contact office of registrar or a councellor )
sorry thats all i know
best of luck !!

jim1 likes this.
Old 09-08-2012 at 01:22 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:

Assuming you just started first year two days ago, it's not super late, it's super early. People switch even in their third year. The longer you wait the harder it is. I'd say give engineering a shot, because it's easier to switch out of eng than switch in. You said you prefer math, so if math is what you want to switch into, that shouldn't be too difficult from engineering. You can talk to an academic advisor if you want more information about how switching would work.

lgdynasty says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-08-2012 at 01:51 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Just a side note... you will get your share of math in Eng
Old 09-08-2012 at 02:08 PM   #5
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

What do you find so difficult about the non-math side?
Old 09-08-2012 at 02:22 PM   #6
lgdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
What do you find so difficult about the non-math side?
I seem to be struggling/taking more time to understand the basics of circuit engineering. The computer programming course seems to require more time as well. I have to learn three languages for the course CompEng 2SH4. They are C, Java, matlab.

The math courses math 1za3/1zb3/1zc3 i was able to grasp their content and practice enough to do well. I have also completed econ 1b03/1bb3.

I am also asking myself on the job aspect for the program math&statistics. I do not seem to find many jobs besides teaching.

**Computer Engineering**
Old 09-08-2012 at 02:34 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
I seem to be struggling/taking more time to understand the basics of circuit engineering. The computer programming course seems to require more time as well. I have to learn three languages for the course CompEng 2SH4. They are C, Java, matlab.

The math courses math 1za3/1zb3/1zc3 i was able to grasp their content and practice enough to do well. I have also completed econ 1b03/1bb3.

I am also asking myself on the job aspect for the program math&statistics. I do not seem to find many jobs besides teaching.
Some people get some concepts fast, others need some time to fully grasp some concepts... that's not a reason for leaving comp eng!

If you just realized that you really hate your courses, and lost interest in studying comp eng, then that would a good reason for transferring to another, more interesting program.

It's okay if it takes you longer to understand certain concepts, no one is perfect...there's lots of struggle in engineering, but if you are really passionate about your courses, you will eventually understand the hard concepts.
Old 09-08-2012 at 03:02 PM   #8
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

I find those courses which I find hardest, are the ones I do best in. Maybe it's a thing of more effort or something.. but I guarantee that if you spend more time on those hard classes you'll ace it.
Old 09-08-2012 at 03:24 PM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

If your finding the courses hard you should seek some help or get advice from upper year students who have completed those courses.

On a side note, if you're taking 2CI5 you really need to just keep solving circuits to get a better understanding of it. It honestly gets easier the more you do.
Old 09-08-2012 at 03:33 PM   #10
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:

Practice, practice, practice.

You'll be fine, I've seen much worse from friends in engineering
Old 09-08-2012 at 03:40 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

Once you get comfortable with one language, the other two are easy to deal with; I didn't find anyone that had much of a problem with that aspect of the course. Circuits is just a matter of repetition; once you have the basics down, the only difference between an amateur and a master is the ability to deal with basic arithmetic quickly.

You're in comp eng II and thinking of switching to math&stats?
Old 09-08-2012 at 04:06 PM   #12
lgdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Once you get comfortable with one language, the other two are easy to deal with; I didn't find anyone that had much of a problem with that aspect of the course. Circuits is just a matter of repetition; once you have the basics down, the only difference between an amateur and a master is the ability to deal with basic arithmetic quickly.

You're in comp eng II and thinking of switching to math&stats?
I really do not know what options I am left with. Some of the requirements for 2nd engineering are quite extreme IMO. My courses now expect me to do amazing that I pass the course with just the midterm & final. If i fail either of those, get lower than 50 but still did good in labs, tutorials, assignments, etc. That no longer matters. I know that I am suppose to work hard to make sure that doesn't happen but in end I am afraid my best would not be good enough.

**Computer Engineering**
Old 09-08-2012 at 04:41 PM   #13
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Dude seriously I don't know what you are worried about. Everyone especially eng students thinks "what am I doing here" at least once in his academic life. I also had the same anxiety right about the first term final exam last year (first year). You just have to suck it up and get thru it.

Think about it logically:

-It's just second day of school. You haven't actually tasted the classes, that right now you think you will have problems with.

-You chose that eng field for a reason, if you forgot the reason in all that work last year, just remember what it was and it will give you some fuel.

-In that course you mentioned, the profs are not eating people alive even in the second year. If you are to learn the three languages in the course, you probably won't have to learn them as in depth as in classes with just one language to learn. Not to mention that MathLab is basically Python, and Java and C are supposedly similar.

lgdynasty says thanks to AngryBean for this post.