MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Television Network MACTV Clubs & Groups 0 09-18-2009 06:36 PM
McMaster Television Network MACTV MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-18-2009 06:32 PM
Cable/Television jhan523 General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 06:59 PM
Television marcotdj General Discussion 6 08-15-2008 09:55 AM

Thought Provoking/Uplifting/Positive Books, Music, TV Shows

Old 01-02-2014 at 01:06 PM   #1
jessica lobe

Liked: 0 Times

Thought Provoking/Uplifting/Positive Books, Music, TV Shows
Hey!

Looking for thought provoking, positive or uplifting texts to read, watch or listen to during my free time. If you've come across any music, books, movies, docu-series, etc. that have had a positive impact on your life or made an impression on you, I'd love to hear.

Last edited by jessica lobe : 01-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2014 at 01:28 PM   #2
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

planet earth documentary series is a good start

jessica lobe says thanks to jitnikovi for this post.
Old 01-02-2014 at 01:56 PM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Recently, i've really enjoyed:

Movies - Harvey, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Cloud Atlas. DEFINITELY recommend Harvey for you for an uplifting thought-provoking movie if you watch it with an open mind (the beginning is a little slow). If you like animated movies, i would recommend anything by Hayao Miyozaki, you can find a very giddy, childish positivity in My Neighbor Totoro.

Books - anything by Mitch Albom, For One More Day shares lessons about the bonds you maintain/don't maintain with family and the ramifications of that, and The Time Keeper tell you about the value we place on time and watching clocks. His books aren't exactly positive, but more so thought provoking. If you're looking for positive/uplifting i've been dabbling in buddhist literature (more progressive/western of course) and i've been enjoying that. The Tao of Pooh uses the characters from Winnie the Pooh as a metaphor for taoism. The Buddah Walks into a Bar is terrific too.

Music - Jason Mraz always makes me happy, any of his albums are wonderful. Owl City's earlier albums are full of really uplifting/happy songs as well.
Oneeskimo
The Paper Kites
Bibio

jessica lobe says thanks to adaptation for this post.
Old 01-02-2014 at 02:39 PM   #4
jessica lobe

Liked: 0 Times

The Time Keeper and The Tao of Pooh sound amazing, I'm gonna head to the library stat and I totally agree, the Waiting for My Rocket to Come album was gold.
Old 01-02-2014 at 03:11 PM   #5
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

The Big Think series on youtube is awesome.
Old 01-02-2014 at 04:00 PM   #6
AndrewS

Liked: 24 Times

For music, go to songza, select boosting your energy (I think it's on weekday, late morning or afternoon playlists), then select upbeat, happy, and absurdly fun, then select walking on sunshine.
Old 01-02-2014 at 05:03 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Try reading Brave New World.

Then play a drinking game called "find all similarities to our society today". Careful tho, it's deadly.
Old 01-02-2014 at 09:52 PM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

There's a british series called QI which is hosted by Stephen Fry, where british comedians & celebrities are invited to participate. It's kind of like an educational gameshow where each show features a specific topic and stephen asks questions about it, the goal is to answer the questions in an "interesting" way, without giving the most obvious/stereotypical answer. It's pretty neat if you're into learning while you're entertained

Here's an episode:

Amaryll likes this.
Old 01-05-2014 at 10:12 PM   #9
shay2014

Liked: 4 Times

Thanks everyone! These are awesome
Old 01-05-2014 at 10:30 PM   #10
rtongsta

Liked: 5 Times

1984 by George Orwell

Amaryll likes this.
Old 01-06-2014 at 01:41 AM   #11
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Listen to some Michael Franti & Spearhead, he is the happiest man in the world!