70%70%70%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 75%
Thtr&flm 1a03

INTRODUCTION TO PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS
How do theatre artists go from reading a script to creating a fictional world that questions audience expectations about the world outside the theatre? By creating proposals for staging plays, students explore how all the elements of theatrical performance (from sets, costumes, lighting and sound, to acting techniques and public relations) can come together to create meaningful live performances.

Overview:
You read plays, learn terminology and basics for theatrical productions (lighting and sound being the most interesting). The focus is on the mechanics of live performances and what goes on behind the scenes. It is an interesting course if you're into performance and theatre. One thing to note: even though the word 'film' is in this course title... THERE IS NO FILM in the class. That is in 1B03. You do, however, watch a few films of performances and critique them.

Plays:
An example of one of the plays I studied in this course was Ibsen's "A Doll House", you have an anthology full of scripts from plays that you will study.

Writing
There is writing in this course, and you end up quoting a lot from your Anthology.

nstak, pinkshuniza, Prasha Bala all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Thtr&flm 1a03!

Old 06-25-2008 at 03:53 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Really easy!
I missed lecture most of the time to be honest - it was 830am for me - and i still got an 8. all you have to do is read the plays and know the different kinds.

There is 1 essay and a group presentation.

You have to go to tutorials - its a group discussion so if you missed class - YAY!

(Unless it's changed since my first year :O)

Dr Graham is excellent - ive had her for a few other classes. Just an amazing woman.

DO IT! XD

nstak, pinkshuniza, Prasha Bala all say thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:48 AM   #3
MKelly

Liked: 0 Times
Can anyone give me some more information about this course? I'm still not exactly sure what it's about. Is there any acting involved, or is it mostly reading plays and learning the behind-the-scenes stuff etc? Thank you!
Old 07-30-2009 at 10:36 AM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Yeah, it's a "sit down and learn" class for the most part. (i dont know if its changed since 2006)

When we did it, we had lectures on our readings (about 7-8 plays), and in tutorials had to do a presentation on one of them with a group. We also had to see the fall major and write about it, and write about the first play we read. (4-5pg essay)

Exam was a few short answers and one essay comparing two of the plays.
Old 07-30-2009 at 02:20 PM   #5
MKelly

Liked: 0 Times
Thank you. Hmm, I guess I have some more decisions to make.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search