MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Raises $87,000 for Shinerama lorend MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-18-2010 10:20 PM
MSU FIT Leader Will Get Shinerama Tattoo if MAC Raises $80K for Cystic Fibrosis lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-12-2010 05:25 PM
Tim Hortons ~*Sara*~ General Discussion 11 03-18-2010 12:11 PM
tim hortons on campus jenn_y General Discussion 9 09-26-2009 02:34 PM
Oil Prices J-Met Politics 7 06-20-2008 10:03 PM

Tim Hortons Raises Prices

Old 09-02-2009 at 02:44 PM   #15
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
Im pretty sure that tim hortons is canadian.
It's majority-owned by Wendy's, an American company.

Old 09-02-2009 at 02:45 PM   #16
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
They did, but now it's being re-incorporated in Canada.
They're moving their corporate offices back here because it's cheaper to operate here. They're still American, and their profits go back to the States (unlike Canadian companies operating in the USA, whose profits must stay there).

Old 09-03-2009 at 05:07 AM   #17
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Lol 2 Coke cans for $1.14 or so at UM FTW if you need your caffiene fix!

It works wonders for Prof Todd Alway

Another Caffiene dispensary device for times when my pocket is much more fuller(aka the first month of school lol) are Energy Drinks from UM or getting them in bulk from Costco.

I somehow am incapable of drinking hot coffee :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

.:callen:. likes this.

Old 09-03-2009 at 05:43 AM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
It's majority-owned by Wendy's, an American company.
All I know is, Tim Hortons started in Hamilton and no American company is going to take it's Canadianness away.

Old 09-03-2009 at 07:35 AM   #19
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
All I know is, Tim Hortons started in Hamilton and no American company is going to take it's Canadianness away.
Well, they're hawking Canadianness. They actually got a lot more "hoorah Canada" when they were bought out, from what I saw.

To me it amounts to the same as Wal-Mart selling a bunch of maple leaf stuff, but to each his own I guess.

Old 09-03-2009 at 03:14 PM   #20
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OooooOOOOOOO

Old 09-03-2009 at 05:42 PM   #21
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OooooOOOOOOO
lol Someone needed to bring us back to the real point of this thread. Thanks Temara.

Old 09-03-2009 at 05:49 PM   #22
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
lol Someone needed to bring us back to the real point of this thread. Thanks Temara.
Dunkin' Donuts is pretty American....

....oops!

Old 09-03-2009 at 06:28 PM   #23
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Dunkin' Donuts is pretty American....

....oops!

Taunton, xo.monica like this.

Old 09-03-2009 at 07:29 PM   #24
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
I went to union market today and saw a sign about increase prices though I think coffee is not effected.

Old 09-03-2009 at 08:23 PM   #25
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times
great.. we are in a recession and they are hiking up prices...

Old 09-04-2009 at 12:00 AM   #26
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member

Liked: 32 Times
DISLIKE

but seriously, prices go up EVERYWHERE all the time. McDonalds, gas, groceries. no one throws a fit when their loaf of non-name bread is now $1.29 or something outrageous like that. but when Tim Horton's has to raise their prices because of operational costs (read: actual operational costs, NOT raises) it makes front page news.

The price of coffee has not risen in a solid year and a half.

You're also not paying $5 like at Starbucks.

don't like the price increase? go somewhere else. And please don't yell at me in the drive thru about it, because it's not my fault.

Old 09-04-2009 at 12:03 AM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Haha, Tim Hortons is a joke compared to the constant rise of food prices.

I was at Metro the other day, and the milk was like 5.89! I was like damn, I can't buy that!

Old 09-04-2009 at 12:46 AM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, Tim Hortons is a joke compared to the constant rise of food prices.

I was at Metro the other day, and the milk was like 5.89! I was like damn, I can't buy that!
3.97 at No Frills a week ago Or It might even have been 2.97(I'm assuming you are talking about that Neilson 3 Plastic Bag Pack)

From an economists perspective though Canada actually had the lowest inflation rate in 56 years at -0.9% this year. The Biggest drop is in gas(transport) and on and off in mortgaging and interest rates as well as consumer retail. Though this certainly isn't good for the economy in the long run, people need to start spending more and prices have to go up if we are to recover.

But the problem is that food which is one of the highest sectors of any families spending is actually going up;For the poorest of the poor, food takes a bigger bite out of household budgets – 16.9 per cent of total spending. The comparable number for the highest-income earners is 7.9 per cent. There is obviously competition amongst grocery stores that is suppposed to bring prices down and it has to some extent but its not enough, my advice? Go to No Frills!

You can read more about it in these articles:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZwIHatrWwo4
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/683228
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can... v3eI76WJyNAcA

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 09-04-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Afzal says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:01 AM   #29
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
but when Tim Horton's has to raise their prices because of operational costs (read: actual operational costs, NOT raises) it makes front page news.
Thats what they get for increasing the amount of caffeine in their coffee to "build a stronger customer base." I can almost see Dave Thomas (even though he's dead) standing at a street corner with a thermos, "Anytime you want some more, come back and see me."

(of course I'm [half] joking :-)

Quote:
go somewhere else.
Done and done.

Quote:
And please don't yell at me in the drive thru
Drive "Thru", "donut" - it's "through" and "doughnut." Does anyone need any more proof that they're an American company? Obviously they don't even care about Canadian pride and our need for a sense of differentiation from the Americans, which are things that every Prime Minister for the past 50 years has known is essential to gain popularity and trust here (so it must be important :-).

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 09-04-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search