MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable changes catnguyen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-08-2011 10:27 PM
New to this - Timetable help please!? omgwtfitsp Academics 4 08-08-2011 08:09 AM
my timetable - help Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 12:23 AM
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
Course Timetable MarissaK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-25-2009 09:48 PM

Timetable Help

Old 07-08-2012 at 10:35 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Timetable Help
Hey guys, I'm wondering which timetable you think looks better:

http://tinyurl.com/7kpb2ma - Option 1

Pros: Very few short gaps, Two 1 hour breaks on monday, One 2 hour break on Tues, 1 hour break on Wed & Thurs
Cons: Two days of 4 hour classes straight, good idea or not?

http://tinyurl.com/7v5kgnr - Option 2

Pros: On Tuesdays on non-lab weeks I'll end early
Cons: Only 1 gap per week, but they are longer gaps (3 hour gap on Mon, 1 hour gap on Tues, 2 hour gap on Wed, 2 hour gap on Thurs, 3 hour gap on Fri)

And a few more questions:

1) Would having two 8:30 classes be a bad idea? I have two other mock timetables but those have 2 classes that begin at 8:30. In your opinion, would you rather begin at 830 and end at 230 or begin at 1030 and end at 430 on most days?

2) Where do you think I should put Psych? Probably Fridays right?
Old 07-08-2012 at 10:47 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Hey guys, I'm wondering which timetable you think looks better:

http://tinyurl.com/7kpb2ma - Option 1

Pros: Very few short gaps, Two 1 hour breaks on monday, One 2 hour break on Tues, 1 hour break on Wed & Thurs
Cons: Two days of 4 hour classes straight, good idea or not?

http://tinyurl.com/7v5kgnr - Option 2

Pros: On Tuesdays on non-lab weeks I'll end early
Cons: Only 1 gap per week, but they are longer gaps (3 hour gap on Mon, 1 hour gap on Tues, 2 hour gap on Wed, 2 hour gap on Thurs, 3 hour gap on Fri)

And a few more questions:

1) Would having two 8:30 classes be a bad idea? I have two other mock timetables but those have 2 classes that begin at 8:30. In your opinion, would you rather begin at 830 and end at 230 or begin at 1030 and end at 430 on most days?

2) Where do you think I should put Psych? Probably Fridays right?
The answers to all of your questions depend entirely on personal preference. I really don't think there's much of a difference to each of your timetables in terms of how "good" they are, but it depends on your preferences.

For the 8:30 classes, if you're not a morning person then try to get out of them. If you are a morning person, then you should try to go for them. It really depends.

Keep in mind that you probably won't get your ideal timetable, because things will be full or conflict and you won't be able to switch into all the sections you want.

naval23 says thanks to nerual for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 10:51 PM   #3
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
The answers to all of your questions depend entirely on personal preference. I really don't think there's much of a difference to each of your timetables in terms of how "good" they are, but it depends on your preferences.

For the 8:30 classes, if you're not a morning person then try to get out of them. If you are a morning person, then you should try to go for them. It really depends.

Keep in mind that you probably won't get your ideal timetable, because things will be full or conflict and you won't be able to switch into all the sections you want.
Thanks for your answer. I am not really a morning person, but I like the fact that I end early, but I think I would be able to focus more if I had classes later since I would have a more comfortable sleep, so I guess morning classes are out.

So the 4 straight hours of class is not a big deal? I don't know what is better - more frequent small gaps, or less frequent big gaps.
Old 07-08-2012 at 11:02 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Thanks for your answer. I am not really a morning person, but I like the fact that I end early, but I think I would be able to focus more if I had classes later since I would have a more comfortable sleep, so I guess morning classes are out.

So the 4 straight hours of class is not a big deal? I don't know what is better - more frequent small gaps, or less frequent big gaps.
I don't think 4 straight hours is a big deal. I've done longer...four isn't too bad. If you have a shorter attention span or prefer more frequent breaks then you might have a problem with that though.
For the gaps, do you prefer getting your day done with? Or do you like relaxing between each class? That should tell you if you prefer small or big gaps. It also depends if you're commuting. Honestly, you haven't even started yet, so you probably don't even know what you preference is, and it's something that nobody can figure out for you, you just need to wait and see how things go.

You're never going to have a perfect timetable, and at some point during your time here you'll be screwed into a pretty terrible one. Might as well learn how to deal with and make the most out of both large and small breaks, morning classes, night classes, etc. Learn what works for you.