MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is the timetable for courses registered for Fall-Winter released? rahulsbhagat Academics 2 07-03-2011 08:45 PM
Master Timetable - Released! blackdragon MacInsiders Announcements 37 06-16-2010 03:51 PM
When will the 10-11 timetable be released? Kathy2 Academics 11 05-26-2010 09:28 PM
Final Exam Timetable December 2009 Released! Serps MacInsiders Announcements 20 11-07-2009 02:47 PM

Timetable not released?

Old 08-07-2012 at 08:40 AM   #31
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Not as much as 4 hectic weekdays scare me.
Ive seen some pretty hectic schedules, mostly from engineers. They get hectic when you have a few labs and tutorials for each class. But youre in math and stats? How many tutorials do you have? It shouldnt be that hectic. And in upper years you barely have tutorials. I have 1 this year. I think I have like 16hrs of class in 4 days, and 2 are night classes. Its going to be a breeze.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:45 AM   #32
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Ive seen some pretty hectic schedules, mostly from engineers. They get hectic when you have a few labs and tutorials for each class. But youre in math and stats? How many tutorials do you have? It shouldnt be that hectic. And in upper years you barely have tutorials. I have 1 this year. I think I have like 16hrs of class in 4 days, and 2 are night classes. Its going to be a breeze.
I'm taking Physics 1B03 and Chem 1A03 in Term 1 and they both have labs. I have tutorials for Math 1X03, Math 1B03 and Chem 1A03.

Any idea why Econ 1BB3 and Physics 1B03 don't have tutorials?

Last edited by Alexmahone : 08-07-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:14 AM   #33
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
I'm taking Physics 1B03 and Chem 1A03 in Term 1 and they both have labs. I have tutorials for Math 1X03, Math 1B03 and Chem 1A03.

econ just doesnt need a tutorial, the material isnt hard and its all posted. And also they are HUGE classes, so there would be too many tutorial sections.

Physics 1B has a lab, which I thought was just a hands-on tutorial. You use the concepts in class to watch a thing on wheels roll down a ramp and take measurements.

For Math 1B, if you have the girl with the thick accent and short dark hair, she is the best TA Ive ever had, to the point, covers alot of material, doesnt waste time, knows her stuff. I dont know if shes still around she was a masters student I think.

Alexmahone says thanks to Melanieee for this post.
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:16 AM   #34
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:

Econ 1BB3 doesn't need a tutorial time slot. You need help? Ask the prof before class, after class, at their office hours or drop by at the help 'clinic'.

Alexmahone says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:16 AM   #35
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
econ just doesnt need a tutorial, the material isnt hard and its all posted. And also they are HUGE classes, so there would be too many tutorial sections.

Physics 1B has a lab, which I thought was just a hands-on tutorial. You use the concepts in class to watch a thing on wheels roll down a ramp and take measurements.

For Math 1B, if you have the girl with the thick accent and short dark hair, she is the best TA Ive ever had, to the point, covers alot of material, doesnt waste time, knows her stuff. I dont know if shes still around she was a masters student I think.
Thanks. What is a tutorial, by the way? Just a problem-solving session?
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:51 AM   #36
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Thanks. What is a tutorial, by the way? Just a problem-solving session?
For math we usually just watch the TA do problems up on the board. A good TA will do problems that they know you should see, problems that they know explicitly use the techniques taught in class. The tutorials I never go to are the ones where the TAs just do the questions that the students tell them to do - they are never helpful. Or some TAs spend the whole time on 1 problem that doesnt matter, and then you really havent learned anything new.

Alexmahone says thanks to Melanieee for this post.
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:56 AM   #37
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
For math we usually just watch the TA do problems up on the board. A good TA will do problems that they know you should see, problems that they know explicitly use the techniques taught in class. The tutorials I never go to are the ones where the TAs just do the questions that the students tell them to do - they are never helpful. Or some TAs spend the whole time on 1 problem that doesnt matter, and then you really havent learned anything new.
Seems like a total waste of time; the best (only) way to learn math is to solve problems yourself.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 08-07-2012 at 10:17 AM   #38
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Seems like a total waste of time; the best (only) way to learn math is to solve problems yourself.
Yes, of course but if you're stuck and cannot understand what is being said in the textbook, examples are the way to go (for me at least).
Old 08-07-2012 at 10:31 AM   #39
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Hold on with your "only" haha. It may be best, but you can learn without doing problems.
Old 08-07-2012 at 10:35 AM   #40
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Yes, of course but if you're stuck and cannot understand what is being said in the textbook, examples are the way to go (for me at least).
Well, textbooks have solved examples, don't they?
Old 08-07-2012 at 10:43 AM   #41
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Well, textbooks have solved examples, don't they?
If you mean following a solved problem in a textbook, then yes thats how I learn and study most of the time.

However, it is SO FRUSTRATING when there are problems in the text that either the prof has assigned as practice, or you know are relevant to the course, and there is no solution provided. Cause no matter how many times you try your best to solve it on your own, even if you think its worked out to the right answer, you have no idea. You couldve just taught yourself something completely wrong.
Old 08-07-2012 at 10:57 AM   #42
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
If you mean following a solved problem in a textbook, then yes thats how I learn and study most of the time.

However, it is SO FRUSTRATING when there are problems in the text that either the prof has assigned as practice, or you know are relevant to the course, and there is no solution provided. Cause no matter how many times you try your best to solve it on your own, even if you think its worked out to the right answer, you have no idea. You couldve just taught yourself something completely wrong.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I only do proofs or problems that have answers. I think it's pretty pointless to do a problem and not know if you've done it correctly.

BTW, what do you plan to do after graduating, Melanie? It's very refreshing to see a female mathematician!
Old 08-07-2012 at 11:15 AM   #43
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I only do proofs or problems that have answers. I think it's pretty pointless to do a problem and not know if you've done it correctly.

BTW, what do you plan to do after graduating, Melanie? It's very refreshing to see a female mathematician!
Well prepare to be refreshed! Cause your math classes will have lots of girls, close to half. I know, I was suprised too.
I dont know what Im going to do, thats why Im in co-op. But as of now Im leaning toward some kind of statistics consulting, or market research. We'll see!

Alexmahone likes this.
Old 08-07-2012 at 11:20 AM   #44
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Well prepare to be refreshed! Cause your math classes will have lots of girls, close to half. I know, I was suprised too.
I dont know what Im going to do, thats why Im in co-op. But as of now Im leaning toward some kind of statistics consulting, or market research. We'll see!
But how many of those girls are math and stat majors? And what kind of work did you do as part of your co-op program?

Last edited by Alexmahone : 08-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2012 at 11:22 AM   #45
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Ouch. Having no timetable is better than having this: