MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Review! GetFighted First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-22-2010 12:40 PM
HELP!! someone please review my timetable tiffanytian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 02:36 PM
Review my timetable please? :) Need some help... Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-18-2010 06:38 PM
Timetable Review LazyNinja First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-14-2010 08:02 AM
Review My Timetable Please :D MohitB First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-07-2008 10:41 PM

Timetable Review!?! Please!

Old 06-22-2010 at 12:46 PM   #1
jay7

Liked: 0 Times

Timetable Review!?! Please!
I am going into Life Science I this year and would like upper year students' opinions on my timetable. Please and thanks

Note: I only took Economics so I can fulfill my "social science" requirement for professional schools.

Attached Files
File Type: xls Mock Timetable.xls (20.5 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by jay7 : 06-22-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:10 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Looks good, similar to what I had in first year. Remember you also have to deal with labs and tutorials, though you have no way of knowing which one's you'll get, I'd add in two or three that you would like to have so you know when they are and can be quick on SOLAR. Same for your cores - know which numbers they are, because there's a decent chance you won't get the ones you list.

Try to avoid one hour breaks, except in the period right before a lab (let's you prep if you forgot to, eat, get your goggles and coat, or anything else you need to do)

Putting Eco 1BB3 right before Psych 1XX3 might not be a good idea - MDCL and TSH are pretty far from each other, though its definitely a manageable walk, you can probably slip it into another 1 hr break and avoid it. Same for Phys 1B03 and Psych 1X03 - long walk.

When you go to actually pick your sections, do your Psychs last - they have a spot for basically every hour every day, so it can fit whenever.

Also, I'm not sure if Eco 1BB3 can be taken without Eco 1B03 either in the previous semester or at the same time. The Calender says "either in order or concurrently." Since its only for the Soc Sci requirement, why not look into other electives, in case you can't take it or its full (likely, its popular).

Hmmm....that's about it. Make sure you have backup cores, tutorials, labs, etc, but wait for your timetable to come out and shuffle around that.

PM if you have any questions, I'm on pretty often and just finished Life Sci I.

jay7 likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:18 PM   #3
jay7

do you know any other good social science courses?

also are these 1 hour breaks just a waste of time unless before labs (chem bio physics)? i thought they were but also thought having classes back to back to back would be harder :S i really dont know

and how do course selections work? do we just choose the courses we want and we get a timetable made up for us or do we choose the time as well but it might get changed when our final timetable gets released?

thanks!
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:20 PM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

"ECON 1B03 and 1BB3 can be taken in either order or concurrently."

I think that means you can take concurrently or either one first.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:45 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Classes back to back is fine - remember you have ten minutes between each one to walk around and set up. Usually three is what I do, but four is totally doable, especially if one class is a tutorial. But if you're in res, it doesn't matter so much.

Soc sci I don't know too much about. The first year antros are supposed to be good, same with Pol Sci 1G06 (though is a full year). Psych MIGHT count, since it does have a Soc Sci department as well (essp. 1X03, since it deals with social psych), but you'd have to check the prof schools individually for that.

Yeah, 1 hr breaks are basically a waste of time. You might have like a half hour to do something, which really isn't much in uni.

Course selection: You pick your ten courses and which term you want them in. Then SOLAR closes (you get about a week to pick them and everything) until August. When it reopens, you have an automatically generated, non-conflict timetable to work with and change around. This table will be your first chance to deal with cores, tutorials, etc.

I'm still not sure about Econ, but there's probably someone on here who can help you. Either way, its very important to have back-ups. I had ten electives lined up this year and got #7 and #8 on my list after a week of watching SOLAR.
Old 06-22-2010 at 02:01 PM   #6
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

I took 1BB3 in 1st term of 1st year, with 1B03 in the second term. You can take them in any other, or concurrently-- it doesn't matter.

Old 06-29-2010 at 09:41 AM   #7
dani.garc

If you're looking for an easy Social Science elective and have some interest in Economics, I'd recommend Micro (1B03). It's a lot easier than Macro (1BB3). There are several forums comparing the 2, but Macro is somewhat more interesting and applicable to what you hear in the news, but Micro is simply a bird course. Although getting a 12 in either is possible, Micro is the easier 12. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dani.garc : 06-29-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2010 at 06:10 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Is Linguistics considered to be a social science course XD.
Old 08-13-2010 at 06:39 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Is Linguistics considered to be a social science course XD.
It belongs to the faculty of humanities.