MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetables. JAYJAY First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 08-09-2010 11:27 PM
Timetables are Available! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 17 08-11-2009 01:05 PM
Timetables are out! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 66 08-25-2008 01:26 PM
Timetables Are Down lorend MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-11-2008 08:35 AM
When do timetables open for changing? Now, or tomorrow morning? aviaf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-10-2008 11:40 PM

Timetables open for switching them around?

Old 07-29-2008 at 11:41 AM   #1
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Timetables open for switching them around?
I was told that we can switch our cores/labs/and tutorials when timetables open (august 7th), but the email i got says they are available august 7 and solar reopens august 8 (or otherwise depending on your criteria)

Is august 7th the day when I can go back and switch my courses around the way I want, or is it august 8th?

Thx
Old 07-29-2008 at 01:40 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Just try on the day your time table comes out and then every day after that. I was told that we are allowed to change labs, tutorials and cores on August 11th... So yeah. Not sure about that,
Old 07-29-2008 at 05:07 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Hey guys,
Solar will reopen on August 11th, you will get your timetable on the 7th but you won't be able to change it anything on it until the 11th. If you do make changes you have to wait at least one business day before those changes will be reflected on your time table.

As for switching: you may be able to with some courses, not with others. It depends on how many sections/tutorials/labs are offered and if they're already full or not. If you have a big problem with the tutorials my best advice would be to speak to the prof come September and go from there. Make sure you have a good reason to switch (conflicts with working or something like that).

Old 07-29-2008 at 06:28 PM   #4
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

well hopefully they're not full. I spent 2 days configuring my cores/labs/and tuts the way i want them, so when it opens im gonna try hard to get it that way
Old 07-29-2008 at 06:29 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

I hear you aviaf, I do the same thing. If they don't give me the tutorials that I want I'm determined to make them switch them for me! We'll see how it goes

Old 07-30-2008 at 01:44 AM   #6
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

aw that sucks, im going on vacation august 9th..i guess ill have to wait until i get back before i can make any changes
Old 08-02-2008 at 02:13 PM   #7
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Sorry i have been gone for a while and haven't rli kept up to date with all this mcmaster talk...

what happens when we change our tutorials, labs and stuff, like do we pick a specific time we want to have these classes or what? Can somebody who knows a little bit about this or has already done their switching on labs and tutorials give me a quick run down on this
Old 08-02-2008 at 06:08 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Unfortunately...we can't give you a run-down as this is a new system this year...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-02-2008 at 11:59 PM   #9
Ruggedman

no problem, but the title of the thread, "timetables open for switching around"

when your schedule comes out can you pick and choose what time and what day you want your classes? not quite sure what everyone means by this.

And sorry for the confusion i was on vacation and havent quite caught up yet
Old 08-03-2008 at 12:22 AM   #10
jag6232

It's all iffy... there are not always options as to when you can have your classes. Tutorials/labs, there are more options... but they are often subject to conflict with cores in other classes... best thing to do is check the master timetable. As far as I can determine though, we WILL be able to edit our timetables as long as space permits. Therefore if you have a 12:30 class, but really want a 1:30... if the 1:30 is full, it's gonna be tough love from Mac.
Old 08-03-2008 at 01:01 AM   #11
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

I was playing around with the master timetable and I think my elective, MUSIC 1AA3, conflicts with MATH 1B03, which I need. I took them both in term 2 (both daytime) because thats all that was available. I didnt think there would be a problem because when I did my course selections in july, there was nothing in the "conflict indicator" column. But now that I checked out the master timetable.. I think the tutorial for math conflicts with the core in music. And there aren't multiple cores and tutorials in either of the two courses to choose from. So what do I have to do on August 11th when SOLAR re-opens? Will I have to choose a different elective? :( .. is the info in the master timetable final? Like, in other words, do they ever end up adding more sections to choose from? Can somebody confirm if I really have a conflict or not? Maybe I read the thing wrong.. I really wanted to take music though, and I'm worried that the other electives I want are full by now :(
Old 08-03-2008 at 01:12 AM   #12
Ruggedman

do all classes have labs and tutorials....im not even sure i fully understand what those are.

And this is something iv been dying to know, is it possible for us to have a day with no classes or anything at all, like mondays or fridays off...i know my friends at different universities do.
Old 08-03-2008 at 09:07 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandee08 View Post
I was playing around with the master timetable and I think my elective, MUSIC 1AA3, conflicts with MATH 1B03, which I need. I took them both in term 2 (both daytime) because thats all that was available. I didnt think there would be a problem because when I did my course selections in july, there was nothing in the "conflict indicator" column. But now that I checked out the master timetable.. I think the tutorial for math conflicts with the core in music. And there aren't multiple cores and tutorials in either of the two courses to choose from. So what do I have to do on August 11th when SOLAR re-opens? Will I have to choose a different elective? :( .. is the info in the master timetable final? Like, in other words, do they ever end up adding more sections to choose from? Can somebody confirm if I really have a conflict or not? Maybe I read the thing wrong.. I really wanted to take music though, and I'm worried that the other electives I want are full by now :(

Math 1B03 is offered M&W 11:30-12:20, F 13:30-14:20 with tutorial Th 13:30-14:20. Music 1AA3 is offered MWTh 13:30-14:20. So yes, your tutorial and your music class conflict.

But since both courses are only offered once an academic year, it's doubtful that they would have more than one section. Generally, if Mac was going to offer another section of a course, it would have been put up on the Master Timetable by now.

You may be able to still take music if your tutorial for Math isn't mandatory. However, you would need to contact the professor about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
do all classes have labs and tutorials....im not even sure i fully understand what those are.

And this is something iv been dying to know, is it possible for us to have a day with no classes or anything at all, like mondays or fridays off...i know my friends at different universities do.
Tutorials are small groups lead by a TA where you go over the material again to make sure you understand the concepts. They're generally only in the Humanities and Soc Sci courses (where they are always mandatory), although the Maths, Sciences and Eng courses have them as well, but they are not always mandatory.

Labs are courses in the Sciences where you do experiments.

Sometimes if you're lucky you can create your schedule so you have a day off. It depends on when the courses you need are offered though. It very rarely happens for first years, but it tends to be more common as you get into upper years.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

mandee08 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-03-2008 at 02:05 PM   #14
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Also, as you get higher up in years they stop giving you tutorials as often... unless you're in English ...sometimes tutorials are the bane of my existence... sometimes they're helpful.

And Ruggedman, I believe the thread was started because someone wanted to know if they could start switching stuff around on the 7th when the timetables come out on MUGSI, which you can't, you have to wait till the 11th.

Old 08-03-2008 at 11:17 PM   #15
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

ok I have another question about the master timetable. when I do a search for PHYSICS 1BB3 in term 2 (daytime) ... theres two multiple cores, both taking place at the same time, but the professor is the same for both. is that normal? how can the same professor be in two different places at once? :S