MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuters: evening classes missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-07-2011 11:24 PM
Hey Commuters - Go Service Changes sew12 Automotive & Transportation 8 08-31-2010 01:09 AM
Bikes for Commuters. goodnews.inc General Discussion 2 07-08-2009 10:39 PM
frosh for commuters jindal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-22-2008 11:31 PM
Social situation for commuters?? mazza General Discussion 7 08-11-2008 11:44 PM

Tips for Commuters!

Old 08-26-2011 at 06:24 PM   #16
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

You know what I hate... peoples' conversations. OMFG. specially when its something pathetic, or gossip. "OMG like you know like that guy that like I met him like a couple of days ago, OMG he is in this class with me blah blah" BTICH STFU.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:01 AM   #17
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

1) If you have a midterm, exam, presentation or assignment due, then do not take the last possible train/bus that will get you to Mac on time. Take the earlier train/bus. Traffic, cancellations can really screw you over.

2) If you take public transit, make use of your time on the train/bus. I like to read or sleep.

3) As somebody mentioned already, double check your backpack to make sure you're not missing assignment, book, etc.

4) Carrying around textbooks all day will destroy your back. Try to find PDF versions of all your textbooks. Consider getting a locker with a friend or borrowing textbooks from the library.

BlueWave, guildenstern all say thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 08-27-2011 at 12:09 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't suggest sleeping on the HSR.
Listen to music, it makes the ride go by faster. An hour bus ride seems overwhelming right now but you'll get used to it. If you can read on the bus, try doing homework or course readings.
Old 08-27-2011 at 02:43 PM   #19
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Alright so

1) I'd suggest making use of your time/breaks between classes on campus. Do your readings, homework etc then. Take the time on the bus to relax esp if you're one of those people to get motion sickness (I get it and it sucks). Listen to music..just relax or you can quickly doze off too, however, it's generally dangerous to do so as you may miss your stop. However, I've found that after a while you become so accustomed to commuting that you innately familiar with when your stop will come.

2) If you do all your work as planned, you should have time to socialize. For that purpose, as mentioned above, get involved with a few clubs but be sure not to over commit.

3) Time management and planning is crucial for commuters and as a commuter I've found that I've developed far better planning and time management skills than my friends on rez. That being said, you'll develop these skills over time, it can't be taught in a day or fed to you.

4)If you're not comfortable with crashing at a friend's place, do yourself a favour and get a locker and bring a comforter/blanket and put it in your locker as a reserve for those cruel freezingly cold winter days. Find yourself a comfortable spot to sleep ..be at a library or elsewhere (I found one ) and sleep there when you really have/need to.

5) Ditto for the additional pair of socks suggestion

6) Remember when the last GO bus is for your destination so you don't end up being stuck at Mac overnight.

7) Figure out which classes absolutely need attendance (I'm not advocating you shouldn't go to class) but some are utterly useless as the prof puts up every single lecture notes online and reads off them in class. This will take a few classes to figure out. If you absolutely don't need to go to class, don't go and use that time to study or get other necessary things done. E.g. that's the only class you have that day, by not going you'll be saving yourself about 4 hours including the class and the commute and practically the entire day. So be wise.

8) Try to make your schedule with minimum breaks in between classes and specifically try to avoid those " first class:11:30 - 12:20 class ......next class will start at 7-10" if you can. Look at the ridiculously long break and the potential of those hours being wasted in tiredness, wandering around with your backpack and things..etc.Happened to me. However, if that 7-10 class will gaurantee you a 12, well that's a different story then.

Lastly, it's not hard, you'll soon start enjoying your time on the bus (esp if you take the GO) it's comfortable and serves as the only stretch of time to relax your mind, listen to music,etc.

Have fun

BlueWave, JamesMonroe all say thanks to Phantom for this post.