MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All My Pnb Majors Where You At? SirPhil Academics 55 08-09-2011 08:04 AM
GPA chart for Majors waleed123 General Discussion 4 11-29-2010 03:12 PM
Majors and Minors? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-19-2010 11:45 AM
Majors noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-27-2009 10:43 PM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

Toughest majors?

Old 10-26-2012 at 10:47 PM   #16
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

Everything is a joke when you compare it to Honours Physics. I'm in honours chem and the shit they talk about there is MIND blowing. Like it literally hurts your brain to think about shit in the ways they do. Be grateful.

Gazo12 likes this.
Old 10-26-2012 at 10:55 PM   #17
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
Everything is a joke when you compare it to Honours Physics. I'm in honours chem and the shit they talk about there is MIND blowing. Like it literally hurts your brain to think about shit in the ways they do. Be grateful.
Again, it's because your brain doesn't work that way. Some people find it quite easy. Personally, I find physics hard, but just because it would be a hard major for me, that doesn't mean it's hard for everyone, nor does it mean the people who find it easy are "smart". They're smart in terms of physics, but not necessarily in terms of anything else.

Just like when people ask for an easy course or program, asking which ones are hard is not going to give any useful answers.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 10-27-2012 at 12:22 PM   #18
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I have a friend who takes chem courses "for the fun of it". I take French and Spanish courses "for the fun of it".
We don't really understand each other...

starfish likes this.
Old 10-27-2012 at 12:55 PM   #19
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

hardest majors are ones that you have no interest in.

Phaint says thanks to Lulie for this post.

Old 10-27-2012 at 05:19 PM   #20
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

I think the best person to answer this question is someone who have got all the degrees in the world.

Find one if you can, and tell everyone here the result.
Old 10-27-2012 at 06:04 PM   #21
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
I think the best person to answer this question is someone who have got all the degrees in the world.

Find one if you can, and tell everyone here the result.
Sorry, I'm busy.

Phaint says thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.

britb, Phaint, Zebedee like this.
Old 10-28-2012 at 12:15 AM   #22
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
What shit is mindblowing, exactly? To a math major with a bit of topology and geometry, most of the physics that people find "crazy" is pretty straightforward, just a special case. However, that same person may find a lab-heavy chem course really difficult.

Old 10-28-2012 at 06:43 AM   #23
THRILLHOU

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Social Work was pretty difficult

seriously? social work is a joke.

zwitter likes this.
Old 10-28-2012 at 09:00 AM   #24
Hejie023

Music History...
Old 10-28-2012 at 09:07 AM   #25
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRILLHOU View Post
You are obviously confusing social science with social work. VERY VERY different.

jamescw1234, starfish like this.
Old 10-28-2012 at 09:53 AM   #26
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
You are obviously confusing social science with social work. VERY VERY different.
Does social work require education at all? I mean I can get arrested and do social work without education, or payment for that matter....
Old 10-28-2012 at 09:57 AM   #27
Hejie023

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
Does social work require education at all? I mean I can get arrested and do social work without education, or payment for that matter....
Siick, gonna get myself arrested, no need to waste all my money in post secondary.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 10-28-2012 at 10:03 AM   #28
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejie023 View Post
Siick, gonna get myself arrested, no need to waste all my money in post secondary.
Yeah, who cares they don't pay you, they will provide you with medical care, home and food. There's so much food in jail, the inmates toss salads in their free time.

Last edited by AngryBean : 10-28-2012 at 08:23 PM.

lgdynasty likes this.
Old 10-28-2012 at 12:52 PM   #29
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRILLHOU View Post
Social Work 1A06 is an easy class. But the program itself is brutal. 50 page pagers, running seminars, spending an entire semester doing an advocacy project, and I didn't even mention the two 390 hour placements which you will learn to take various forms of abuse from people. Last week someone at work someone had to do a suicide intervention. Yeah, totally an easy major to go into

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Old 10-28-2012 at 07:55 PM   #30
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Anybody that says one major is "easier" than another is lying. There's no such thing as "easy" and "hard" majors, since everything is 100% dependent on your inherent skills and interests. The workloads may be in stark contrast to one another, but that just means that it may require more work to complete a certain degree. For me, science, commerce, engineering, etc. are out of the question, because I can't think in terms of numbers. Give me an essay to write, however, and I'll have no problem coming up with an original argument. Some of my friends, however, are in math-based programs and can't reason through an essay to save their lives. Like I (and others) said, it's all about personal interest and skills.

jim1, lgdynasty like this.