Hello from New York! izumo13 Gaming 0 11-25-2009 04:13 PM
If We Get York 2.0... britb General Discussion 55 11-01-2009 04:28 PM

Transferred out of Mac to York

Old 02-09-2014 at 07:30 PM   #1
imsoblessed

Liked: 0 Times

Transferred out of Mac to York
Hey!
So I was in the Mac life sci program for first year and then I transferred to York because I wanted to boost my gpa
I'm am currently doing second year honors bio at york
The reason I transferred out was cuz so many of my upper year friends who were applying to med school told me that prestige and WHERE u got your undergrad from, doesn't matter, as long as you get the marks, and plus I wanted to start fresh again

So i transferred out of Mac, by applying to york and I can say that I'm super happy with my choice!
It's definitely a different scene , anyway u live your uni life, it's all about time management
I came in with the mindset that york is going to be a breeze, that I can just sit in class and I'll get the marks, but noooo way , anywhere u go, it takes hard work
I will not say that york is any easier. But I can say that it is fair
If you study hard and do probs, you will forsure get the mark
I remember studying my ass off for bio 1m03 and still ending up with a horrendous mark, anyways,

I would've found it very helpful if someone had answered some of my questions when I was at that stage where I wanted to transfer out, cuz I know how stressful it can get and how many questions you have

So I'm happy to answer any questions the trasnfering process, credits and any other questions !
Old 02-09-2014 at 07:43 PM   #2
angelanon

Hi,
do you need a mark in certain courses to transfer? and what happens if you don't get all your credits transferred.
Thank you so much
Old 02-09-2014 at 07:48 PM   #3
imsoblessed

Hi
Are u planning to transfer to york specifically?

Yes, you need at least an overall average of 70% and atleast a C in every class
But if you don't have those marks, they have this thing where you write them a letter explaining if your marks were low and why, you'll have to call york and ask about that but they do have that option!

Some of my credits didn't transfer properly because hmm lemme give urban example
So I took math 1l03 at Mac and that's a 3 credit course
York requires 6 credits credits of math taken to complete your degree, but they don't offer 3 credit math courses, so I can't do the rest of the three even tho I already took a math , so I will have to do that whole math course (6 credits)
But overall my credits transferred over

angelanon says thanks to imsoblessed for this post.
Old 02-09-2014 at 10:17 PM   #4
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

where you got your undergrad from may not matter for med school but it does have an impact on select grad schools.

mac isnt a terribly hard school either though, i took chem 1000 (chem1a03) at york and dropped it in the summer, took it at mac in my second year and it was significantly easier here.
Old 02-10-2014 at 04:53 PM   #5
macstudent111

hey i am planning on transferring to York as well for second year! how did you go about transferring? I'm not sure how to even begin the process? I was accepted there earlier but went with Mac instead...bad choice lol. I was also wondering how the social scene is compared to Mac?

and one more question! I failed by calculus course but have straight A's in the rest of my courses. Math isnt required for the program i want to get into. Do you think i will still get in?
thanks
Old 03-01-2014 at 03:36 PM   #6
imsoblessed

hiii! lol i know what you mean! sorry for the late reply btw
if you wanna transfer starting in the summer term, you have to apply by april i think, and then fall is due in july, im not sure, but just check their website

also call and ask the admissions office to see if they would take your credits from mac, they will require a transcript, which u can get from gilmore hall at mac

and yess ofcc u will get in! but if they say its an issue, u can always write this letter called "letter of reconsideration" to the admissions office explaining why you got the mark u did. but i dont think it will be an issue because they can see that ur a strong student.

about the social scene here - i absolutely love it! with sooo many students, and such a diverse campus, i have such a great time here! all students are assigned to a college [like a residence almost], and theres alot of commuters, so everyone is part one their own college, and you meet some amazing people
Old 03-01-2014 at 07:46 PM   #7
Vagz

So, would you have preferred if you went to York for 1st year itself?
What are some drawbacks of doing Life Sciences at Mac, from your experience? Which University do u think is better for Life Science, with the ultimate aim of going to a medical school.