MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring on the GO goodnews.inc Automotive & Transportation 2 03-27-2010 02:36 AM
Transferring into Life Sci after 2nd year hamza123 Academics 4 09-07-2009 08:46 PM
Transferring to Mac Trillian Academics 4 01-04-2009 07:56 PM
Biochemistry Year II zango Academics 1 07-06-2008 06:06 PM

Transferring into 3rd year biochemistry...

Old 06-11-2009 at 10:35 PM   #1
*jessica.13

Liked: 0 Times

Transferring into 3rd year biochemistry...
Heyy, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice about my current situation. I just finished my 1st year and Im very interested in being in the biochemistry program but was not eligible to enter in 2nd year. I've been told, however, that I can transfer into the program for 3rd year. I was just wondering how that would work out..for example for the 3G03 and 2EE3 courses..those are biochem courses within the biology program but are antirequisites for the actual required biochem courses within biochemistry. Would those count as "substitutes" for the required biochem courses or would I still have to somehow take the required ones? Im just slightly confused on how this would work. Thanks so much in advance!
Old 06-11-2009 at 11:48 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

As far as I know, you would still have to take the courses somehow. Anti-requisite doesn't mean it's the same course. If it's cross-listed then I believe it would be. I would recommend contacting the undergrad advisor about it.

The undergrad advisor for biochem is Mary Margaret Strong:
4H45 Health Sciences Centre
905-525-9140 ext. 22059
[email protected]
Old 06-12-2009 at 09:33 AM   #3
*jessica.13

Alright thanks a lot!
Old 06-12-2009 at 03:27 PM   #4
WavyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13jess13 View Post
Heyy, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice about my current situation. I just finished my 1st year and Im very interested in being in the biochemistry program but was not eligible to enter in 2nd year. I've been told, however, that I can transfer into the program for 3rd year. I was just wondering how that would work out..for example for the 3G03 and 2EE3 courses..those are biochem courses within the biology program but are antirequisites for the actual required biochem courses within biochemistry. Would those count as "substitutes" for the required biochem courses or would I still have to somehow take the required ones? Im just slightly confused on how this would work. Thanks so much in advance!
I'm not sure if it is the same now but I talked to someone in the past who switched into Biochem going into 3rd. They took Biochem 2EE3 in 2nd year and it replaced the Biochem 3D03 they would have taken in third year (since they are anti-reqs) however they didn't take biochem 3G03 in third year they took biochem 2B03 and 2BB3 with the lab course Biochem 2L06, which they were supposed to take in 2nd year. If you really want to get into the course i would suggest you shadow the course as best as possible; take Bio 2C03 and 2B03, Chem Bio 2A03 and 2P03 in second year that way you will still be able to complete your degree in four years.
Old 06-12-2009 at 03:40 PM   #5
*jessica.13

okay so next year I would take biochem 2EE3, which would replace the 3D03 and NOT take the 3G03 next year because I will be taking all three biochem courses in third year (including the lab course). so if by the end of second year I've taken the two organic chems, two chem bios (P03 and A03), two bios (B03 and C03), physics 1B03 and biochem EE3, I would meet all the requirements to transfer 3rd year? Course wise that is.
Old 06-12-2009 at 10:04 PM   #6
shikha

Quote:
okay so next year I would take biochem 2EE3, which would replace the 3D03 and NOT take the 3G03 next year because I will be taking all three biochem courses in third year (including the lab course). so if by the end of second year I've taken the two organic chems, two chem bios (P03 and A03), two bios (B03 and C03), physics 1B03 and biochem EE3, I would meet all the requirements to transfer 3rd year? Course wise that is.
Hey,
I just did what you're planning on doing. I'm going into my third year, and I got accepted into biochem. I would recommend that you follow the 2nd year program for biochem students as closely as possible, to make the transition smoother. So yes definately take biochem 2ee3 because then you won't have to take biochem 3D03. Also, take bio 2b03, and chem bio 2P03 i think it is. I would also recommend you to finish genetics 2C03 in the summer (since it's easier). That way, when you get into biochem, you won't be overwhelmed and will still have more than enough space for electives . Also if you haven't already, take stats 1cc3! hope that helped
Old 06-13-2009 at 12:01 AM   #7
*jessica.13

thanks so much! but just one more question..i was planning on taking both bios (c03 and b03) next year and getting them out of the way. i was thinking of doing c03 first term for scheduling reasons...would you advise against that? or should i be alright if i take it during the year?
Old 06-13-2009 at 06:19 PM   #8
shikha

A few of my friends took it during the year, and they did alright in it. Only thing is though, that it's a LOT of work thrown at you. They, if i remember correctly, had assignments every week (that were very long and time consuming) and their tests were quite hard. I also have a few friends taking it in summer school at mcmaster right now, and they seem to be having an easier time doing it. So i would advice taking it in the summer. Keep in mind though, that taking the course online is another option. I'm taking genetics online at athabasca university right now. So far it seems really good! I find taking some hard courses online easier at times. Hope that helped

Quote:
thanks so much! but just one more question..i was planning on taking both bios (c03 and b03) next year and getting them out of the way. i was thinking of doing c03 first term for scheduling reasons...would you advise against that? or should i be alright if i take it during the year?
Old 08-12-2009 at 02:22 PM   #9
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

what biochem students are taking this year
biochem 2b03, 2bb3
chem 20a3 20b3
biochem 2l06
chem bio 2p03
bio 2b03

i would suggest that you follow this pretty closely so u wont have to take alot of these courses in next year
also biochem 2ee3 ive heard is a really easy course and it is a cross listed course with a third year course for biochem so if you take that, this will free up an elective for 3rd year and allow you to avoid taking a third year course