MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring from Life Science to Nursing..? chelseac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-14-2011 12:33 PM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Transferring meena101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-08-2010 07:37 AM
Transferring on the GO goodnews.inc Automotive & Transportation 2 03-27-2010 02:36 AM
Transferring to Mac k2s8262 Academics 3 03-18-2009 08:09 PM

Transferring into nursing

Old 07-30-2012 at 12:20 PM   #1
Lilly_Allen

Liked: 7 Times

Transferring into nursing
Hi there, I'll be going into Life Sci first year.. I was originally planning to go into nursing but changed my mind. However, I still wish to transfer over to nursing. So my questions were, how difficult is it to transfer over? I am taking 6 unit of psych and 6 units of anatomy in my first year life sci, if I decide to apply to nursing.. will these courses be accepted? I was also looking at the BScN accelerated program.. but is it possible to try before instead of doing 2 years of my undergrad? Is there anyone who has ever transferred and can give me feed back? Thanks a lot guys, really would appreciate if someone could help me out
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:10 PM   #2
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

I have a friend who transferred to nursing from life sciences.
He didn't take anatomy, but did take the 2 psych courses. I'd say it's fairly easy, as long as you have the marks. You would apply around the same time when applying for second year majors.
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:36 PM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

I`ve found the whole transferring into nursing thing to be pretty stressful. Transferring from any program into nursing at Mac is super competitive and only 7-10 are allowed to transfer over every year. The averages of the students that transfer tend to be in the 10-11 range.

I`m personally sticking with accelerated nursing haha. I`m applying this Winter for September 2013 at three Ontario schools. It`s definitely not the easiest thing in the world because every school has different course and average requirements but if you`re willing to put the work in it can be rewarding. I`ve decided to finish my BA this year before going into the accelerated program because I decided it made more sense to finish with 2 degrees rather than 1 and 1/2.

In regard to your question about having to do 2 years of undergrad prior to accelerated nursing. Yes, you do have to do 2 years at all Ontario schools. They won't allow anyone in that has not completed at least 60 units. Again, they all have different rules though. For example, York requires 3 third or fourth year courses in order to apply, York also requires a microbiology, Mac requires two Biochemistry courses, U of T requires Philosophy and a ton of other random courses, etc.

Mz.Morra13 likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:55 PM   #4
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

@sarahsullz - I got accepted into Mac, U of T, and Queen's for their accelerated programs, so if you have any questions about the application process, don't hesitate to PM me .

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:14 PM   #5
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Wonderful! I'll definitely send you an inbox
Old 09-18-2012 at 02:38 PM   #6
zunaira12

Liked: 0 Times

@Mz.Morra13, i sent you an PM about the program. Could you please give e information about getting into the program.