MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring into Life Sciences titaniummob General Discussion 15 10-23-2011 06:45 PM
Transferring from Life Science to Health Science MichaelScarn Academics 12 07-06-2011 10:39 AM
transferring to computer science Juve General Discussion 0 02-28-2011 04:35 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
Transferring into Life Sci after 2nd year hamza123 Academics 4 09-07-2009 08:46 PM

Transferring from Life Science to Nursing..?

Old 11-14-2011 at 10:12 AM   #1
chelseac

Liked: 0 Times

Transferring from Life Science to Nursing..?
Is this difficult? What is the avg you need, and if anyone could explain the procedure thatd be great. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011 at 10:50 AM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I would contact an academic advisor for sure but i believe some of the credits are transferable, also it may be the you need to apply with your high school grades, the cut offs are similar for life sci and nursing so from that perspective it shouldn't be a problem
Old 11-14-2011 at 11:18 AM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/education_undergrad_b scnaccel.html This may be of interest to you if you can hold out another year of life sci.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 11-14-2011 at 11:29 AM   #4
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

i'm in a similar situation. Unfortunately, mac only takes 10 transfer students to start in year one of their 4 year program. I had ended up applying for the mo-mac program and got accepted that way (they don't have a cap on transfer students, it's a rolling basis), didn't end up taking the spot though. and yeah you can look @ accelerated, but you'd have to get all of the prereqs done for feb 2013. What you COULD do is take the anatomy/physiology requirement over the summer through u of t, they offer an online course (SCS 2159), and you could get it on a letter of permission for credit for KIN 1Y03/1YY3 or maybe even possibly the health sci anatomy/phys course (check into it!). There's also a course offered through athabasca university (they offer online courses), but the admissions coordinator at mac told me they prefer the uoft one over this one. then next year you can take nutrition (life sci 2n03?) and biochem 2ee3, another psych course, and stats 2b03 and that should satisfy your course requirements. Mac's accelerated also has a supp app. Your basis of admission is 50% grades 50% supp app. And based on what i've gathered from the admin advisor / friends who have applied and got accepted , it really is a toss up. so you could have a 7-8.0 avg and get in based on a good supp app, and you could also have a 12.0 and get rejected due to a poor supp app. So just look into it and decide what's best. hope that helps!
Old 11-14-2011 at 11:58 AM   #5
erink

Liked: 1 Time

Hi Chelsea

I transferred into Nursing this year from Life Sci so I can help you out. It is very competitive to get in since there are about 10-20 spots available for 400+ applicants with a university background. Since you're already a Mac student you don't have to apply through OUAC... you just have to complete the online application. I think the deadline this year is February 1st. The selection process is based on marks and a supplementary application. There were 5 questions on the supp app last year which were mainly about your learning style and the qualities you would bring to the nursing profession. I'm not sure if they place more weight on marks or the supp app, but judging from my experience, I would say the supp app is more important. I was accepted with an average of ~8.5 and I was told by an admissions person that I scored very highly on the supp app.

Like others have said, you can also apply to the accelerated stream in a year or two but it requires a number of prereqs. There's more info about both streams and their respective application processes here: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/education_faq.html

If you have any other questions about the application process or the nursing program in general lemme know!

Mz.Morra13 likes this.
Old 11-14-2011 at 12:33 PM   #6
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

@erink that's awesome that you got in to first yr by transfer! congrats