MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring schools themacmaster Academics 1 04-29-2014 08:48 AM
Is transferring schools really hard? moosecm First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-06-2014 04:41 PM
graduate schools ForeverLost Academics 1 10-12-2013 07:33 PM
professional schools MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-12-2013 07:58 AM
Med schools.. ishk33 General Discussion 7 08-20-2009 08:25 PM

Transferring schools?

Old 09-04-2014 at 07:56 PM   #1
sniper96

Liked: 1 Time

Transferring schools?
Is it too late? Feeling homesick and wish I went to a different Uni where all my friends went. Not really feeling mac :/ Possible second year?
Old 09-04-2014 at 08:10 PM   #2
MuFasaChua

Liked: 0 Times

Its not too late... but it is not guaranteed either. You can still apply to transfer to the Uni you want through OUAC but like I said, it is not guaranteed if the Uni has spots for acceptance and they also look into your First year and High school grades.

sniper96 says thanks to MuFasaChua for this post.
Old 09-04-2014 at 08:28 PM   #3
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Trust me, i know exactly where you're coming from. There were days in my first year when I would be sitting in my dorm room contemplating on why I didn't commute to a university closer to home or why I didn't choose the school most of my friends went to.

My advice is to just give it time. You're in the first week of school and once you start talking to people in your lectures/rez you'll feel right at home. Join some clubs/intramural teams/study groups and you'll have stuff to tell your friends back home about when you see them. Once school starts picking up, the days just fly by and it'll be christmas break before you know it.

If none of that ends up doing anything for you, then it is definitely possible to switch schools. You would have to start talking to the school you're thinking of transferring to well in advance to make sure most of your credits transfer over and what other stuff needs to be taken care of.

I know this is kind of generic advice but, trust me, it really works.

sniper96 says thanks to MovingTarget for this post.

sniper96 likes this.
Old 09-04-2014 at 09:04 PM   #4
sniper96

Liked: 1 Time

thank you. its been getting better compared to the beginning but still sad and missing home. but thanks for the comforting words, hope these feelings do go away
Old 09-05-2014 at 12:49 AM   #5

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Mac is a depressing school overall. I know so many people who switched/dropped out after their first and second years. Who really wants to spend 4 years of their life alone in Hamilton, unless you're in an excellent program like Health science. Give it some time but don't think wrong of yourself for switching out. You can transfer to many schools for the Winter term beginning January 2015.

Bigmacfatpack, sniper96 like this.
Old 09-05-2014 at 09:05 AM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Mac definitely is not depressing, it's a great school. I moved from a small town and had no real choice but to move away for school. I felt really home sick for the first month, it's a totally normal feelings. Lots of people are in the same boat as you. It's only been one week since rez move in. Try out the first semester, if you still aren't feeling it, then consider transferring. It's just a bit of an adjustment.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

sniper96 likes this.
Old 09-05-2014 at 04:24 PM   #7
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar Aang View Post
Mac is a depressing school overall. I know so many people who switched/dropped out after their first and second years. Who really wants to spend 4 years of their life alone in Hamilton, unless you're in an excellent program like Health science. Give it some time but don't think wrong of yourself for switching out. You can transfer to many schools for the Winter term beginning January 2015.
How is Mac depressing? Obviously any school, anywhere in the world would be depressing if you were alone, so let's not blame Mac for that.
OP, try to socialize with people in your res and classes. When you make friends and start going out more, you'll love it here
Old 09-05-2014 at 06:23 PM   #8
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

While I have mixed opinions on Hamilton the city, McMaster is pretty freaking awesome and you do not to be in any one program to be happy here, though Physics is an awesome program to be in .

If you feel homesick maybe just talk to your friends, depending on how far they are meetup.

But mostly make some new friends, thats what going to university is all about.

sniper96 likes this.
Old 09-06-2014 at 12:37 AM   #9
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Your feelings are truly understandable but at times, we scare ourselves away from a situation too early or too instantly. It's only been one week into uni, I'm pretty sure your mind hasn't even fully accepted that you're in uni yet - Keep the door of switching out open for yourself. Nothing is ever the end of the world. I didn't like Mac at all in first year but soon after, I fell in love with it and now the thought of leaving it forever scares me. It's truly been home. I also did wanna switch out to a uni where I had better friends. Things certainly do change. Best thing about uni is you can just be, be yourself. If you are into interests/hobbies you'd like to pursue - go ahead - no ball of chain around your feet. Be active. You'll make a variety of friends. Remember, you didn't make best friends in one week into high school either.

I feel in first year, a lot of people are looking to make friends anyways so be more open and receptive. I know if you stick it out, soon there will be a time when you wouldn't even feel like going home

Bigmacfatpack, sniper96 like this.