MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring meena101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-08-2010 07:37 AM
Transferring on the GO goodnews.inc Automotive & Transportation 2 03-27-2010 02:36 AM
Transferring Faculties leaffan General Discussion 2 05-03-2009 01:35 PM
Transferring to Mac k2s8262 Academics 3 03-18-2009 08:09 PM
Transferring to Mac Trillian Academics 4 01-04-2009 07:56 PM

Transferring from U of T

Old 01-19-2011 at 11:24 AM   #1
em37
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Transferring from U of T
Hey guys,
I absolutely hate and regret that I'm attending U of T, and am looking to attend McMaster in the upcoming September 2011 semester. I've applied through OUAC for the Level I Social Science program at McMaster because I figured I might as well make a clean slate for myself. My grades from highschool are at an 80 average but I'm scared that my grades from U of T which are in the B to C standing will be the grades that the admissions concentrate on.

I've heard so many different things, so can anyone please for the love of god clarify if it's the highschool marks the admissions office looks at for Level I applications or the post-secondary marks that are more up to date? I'm not concerned with transfer credits, I just really need to get into McMaster and leave this hell hole. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:38 AM   #2
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

B to C standing isn't even that bad. You shouldn't really have a problem.
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:39 AM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I believe they will mainly look at your high school marks.

Make sure you find out what transcripts you need to send in (high school, university, or both). Then you'd definitely know what they'll be looking at.
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:57 AM   #4
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

why hating on U of T, just curious. My parents begged me to go there but clearly i chose mac
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:58 AM   #5
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
why hating on U of T, just curious. My parents begged me to go there but clearly i chose mac
likewise, i am intrigued

Old 01-19-2011 at 12:22 PM   #6
greeno03

Liked: 0 Times

I transferred from U of T last year and my grades were about the same, I also applied to first year. I think you have a pretty good shot of getting in. The only thing you have to worry about I think when it comes to your grades are just making sure they are high enough so you get the transfer credits

em37 says thanks to greeno03 for this post.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:22 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Also, which program?
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:22 PM   #8
em37
Account Disabled by User

It's all a matter of personal experiences, I guess, but to me, U of T as a whole, is just really up its own ass. Students and TA's that I've met have been pretentious and unfriendly. I kid you not, I've actually shed actual tears because I go here. I kind of got dragged into that whole "U of T is Canada's equivalent to Harvard and a degree from there will be super impressive" thing, and realized too late that this school only functions like one but in reality all undergrad degrees are going to look the same when applying to grad school or whatever.

I go to mac and stay weekends with friends and the atmosphere is so different. I love your school and am pretty sad that i never considered it a choice in the first place...and to the user who didn't choose u of t, lucky you.

Last edited by em37 : 01-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:44 PM   #9
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

haha u only see it on weekends, during the week its a hell hole

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:51 PM   #10
em37
Account Disabled by User

i guess it's different from my perspective but i've stayed there for like weeks at a time just because i hate my school so much and i've sat in a few lectures too, and compared to ut, mcmaster is a million times better
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:56 PM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Mac's not a hell hole, it just has its own problems.

Based on what the OP has described they hate about U of T I think Mac would be a good option for them. Mac's problems aren't the same as what has been described above.

The atmosphere here is one of Mac's strong points imo.

alh24, mike4 like this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:57 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

One of my friends left U of T after her second year to go to Queen's, and said that the U of T campus had no sense of community because everyone commutes so no one really gets involved in anything. I think McMaster is pretty good in that sense, at least, although we definitely have our share of problems...

Equinox likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:02 PM   #13
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

I like how UoT sell exams package though. Previous 10 exams available to be review.
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:36 PM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Mac's not a hell hole, it just has its own problems.

Based on what the OP has described they hate about U of T I think Mac would be a good option for them. Mac's problems aren't the same as what has been described above.

The atmosphere here is one of Mac's strong points imo.
And the fact we actually have a campus in the traditional sense

Not just a bunch of subway stops

Old 01-19-2011 at 01:42 PM   #15
davied

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
One of my friends left U of T after her second year to go to Queen's, and said that the U of T campus had no sense of community because everyone commutes so no one really gets involved in anything. I think McMaster is pretty good in that sense, at least, although we definitely have our share of problems...
Hey as a prospective student can you share some of these problems? It's nothing like racism or anything? Right?