MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring meena101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-08-2010 07:37 AM
Transferring on the GO goodnews.inc Automotive & Transportation 2 03-27-2010 02:36 AM
Transferring Faculties leaffan General Discussion 2 05-03-2009 01:35 PM
Transferring to Mac k2s8262 Academics 3 03-18-2009 08:09 PM
Transferring to Mac Trillian Academics 4 01-04-2009 07:56 PM

Transferring from U of T

Old 01-19-2011 at 01:43 PM   #16
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

grow up, we're all here for an education not to have fun on the weekends, stop wasting your parents money and finish your degree princess.

britb, eullwm, Phaint, zagi like this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:44 PM   #17
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by em37 View Post
It's all a matter of personal experiences, I guess, but to me, U of T as a whole, is just really up its own ass. Students and TA's that I've met have been pretentious and unfriendly. I kid you not, I've actually shed actual tears because I go here. I kind of got dragged into that whole "U of T is Canada's equivalent to Harvard and a degree from there will be super impressive" thing, and realized too late that this school only functions like one but in reality all undergrad degrees are going to look the same when applying to grad school or whatever.

I go to mac and stay weekends with friends and the atmosphere is so different. I love your school and am pretty sad that i never considered it a choice in the first place...and to the user who didn't choose u of t, lucky you.
Anything that's the something of something isn't anything of anything...not to bash U of T of course, it's a great school.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:47 PM   #18
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
grow up, we're all here for an education not to have fun on the weekends, stop wasting your parents money and finish your degree princess.
parents money, lol

Old 01-19-2011 at 01:49 PM   #19
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
Anything that's the something of something isn't anything of anything...not to bash U of T of course, it's a great school.

12chars

Old 01-19-2011 at 02:03 PM   #20
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied View Post
Hey as a prospective student can you share some of these problems? It's nothing like racism or anything? Right?
No, I definitely wasn't referring to anything like that. I was referring more to the recent strike and things like that. In terms of student interaction, I'd say faculty bashing (which is common everywhere) is the worst I've personally seen, and I don't even really consider that a big issue, although some people are more sensitive toward it. In terms of things like racism that you're concerned about, I can't recall seeing anything serious. I'd say students here are pretty friendly.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-19-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: wanted to elaborate further

hamnahx02 likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:07 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Mac's problems are all generally administrative bs, and lack of funding for desired improvements. Nothing really to do with the students or things the students can control.
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:18 PM   #22
davied

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
No, I definitely wasn't referring to anything like that. I was referring more to the recent strike and things like that. In terms of student interaction, I'd say faculty bashing (which is common everywhere) is the worst I've personally seen, and I don't even really consider that a big issue, although some people are more sensitive toward it. In terms of things like racism that you're concerned about, I can't recall seeing anything serious. I'd say students here are pretty friendly.

That's good to know, cause for the past 4 years in high schoool ive been harrased, insulted with racist remarks and stereotypes and it really feels good that i can get a new start.
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:28 PM   #23
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
That's good to know, cause for the past 4 years in high schoool ive been harrased, insulted with racist remarks and stereotypes and it really feels good that i can get a new start.
I think it's safe to say you won't run into problems like that at Mac. Now if you're hoping for ease in course registration and actually getting all the courses you want (i.e. electives), think again. Mac's got a pretty bad, inefficient course registration procedure and things aren't exactly up to date, technology wise (ex. the online course management system sucks). But yeah, as stated above the problems are definitely just admin, and things could be handled a lot better, but improvements are...needless to say...really slow.

Other than that, mac's awesome, and the campus is the best part.
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:28 PM   #24
em37
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Yes, exactly, I'm in university for an education. Hence the reason why I chose U of T in the first place. But after accepting their offer and having been at this institution for a semester, and judging from my personal knowledge of my personal capabilities and strengths, I would fare better at a school that offers a program and a way of operating that won't stunt after 4 years of undergrad. I would essentially be wasting more of "my parents' " money by continuing to slack and **** around, unmotivated at a school I no longer think will benefit me. And that in the long run, will either result in epic academic failure on my part, or will hurt my chances of getting into any grad or professional school. But thanks for the advice, I'll make a mental note to grow up ASAP.

Anamaria likes this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:32 PM   #25
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes, exactly, I'm in university for an education. Hence the reason why I chose U of T in the first place. But after accepting their offer and having been at this institution for a semester, and judging from my personal knowledge of my personal capabilities and strengths, I would fare better at a school that offers a program and a way of operating that won't stunt after 4 years of undergrad. I would essentially be wasting more of "my parents' " money by continuing to slack and **** around, unmotivated at a school I no longer think will benefit me. And that in the long run, will either result in epic academic failure on my part, or will hurt my chances of getting into any grad or professional school. But thanks for the advice, I'll make a mental note to grow up ASAP.
I couldn't agree more, I've seen it happen to my friends who got forced into going to a particular university when they wanted to be elsewhere...it sucks and you just can't reach your full potential when you're doing something you don't want to do.

Remember though, IF part of your reason for coming here is ease of academics/getting better grades, don't get too hopeful because first year is tough no matter where you go. Though having gone through the experience at uoft this may not be relevant to you...
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:38 PM   #26
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Yeah, like SciMania said, a lot of people have problems with the online components of the university. I've personally had very minimal troubles with it, but some people have had pretty bad experiences. All of my friends in Psychology programs have a really hard time with it when it opens for course registration, because their courses fill up so fast since it's a really popular program, and a lot of students take their electives from those courses. I pretty much only have the Commerce students to compete with for courses, which probably explains why I haven't experienced those issues much.

In terms of people... I think ignorant people are going to pop up everywhere. But McMaster (and Hamilton) is a pretty diverse place, so hopefully it's not an issue for you if you choose to come here
Old 01-19-2011 at 02:50 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
And the fact we actually have a campus in the traditional sense

Not just a bunch of subway stops
So true. This is the thing that bothers me about U of T the most DX
Old 01-19-2011 at 03:17 PM   #28
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
if i was in soc. sci. @ mac(thank god im not) I'd be offended

Megan11, nikJ like this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 05:08 PM   #29
HerbalMeds

Hmm...

I guess the grass is always greener? I've found York to be much more enjoyable than Mac. The campus, the area it's in, the hotties everywhere

Even the lectures...about 90-95% of them are all recorded, past midterms/exams are almost always available to students for most courses, and even mark weights are shifted for students (i.e. midterm is 'optional'...mark will get added to your exam otherwise).

While we have that last part at mac if you're sick, I just find technology/resource-wise we're farther behind. In 4th year none of my lectures are ever recorded, and ALMOST ALL the slides are worthless pictures with no words. I find this to be ridiculously frustrating.
Old 01-19-2011 at 05:28 PM   #30
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalMeds View Post
Hmm...

I guess the grass is always greener? I've found York to be much more enjoyable than Mac. The campus, the area it's in, the hotties everywhere

Even the lectures...about 90-95% of them are all recorded, past midterms/exams are almost always available to students for most courses, and even mark weights are shifted for students (i.e. midterm is 'optional'...mark will get added to your exam otherwise).

While we have that last part at mac if you're sick, I just find technology/resource-wise we're farther behind. In 4th year none of my lectures are ever recorded, and ALMOST ALL the slides are worthless pictures with no words. I find this to be ridiculously frustrating.
Are you sure you're talking about York? It's so deserted, in the middle of nowhere, and the campus is horrendously large and ugly. Mac's campus is soooo much nicer!!

Also, York has more serious strikes than Mac, for example that TA strike that lasted soooo long.

I can see how the lecture recordings and exams would be useful though.

alh24, ~*Sara*~ like this.