MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transportation between universities kourtney. Automotive & Transportation 4 09-19-2010 08:47 PM
Transportation class macculkin Academics 1 01-06-2010 10:08 PM
Fees ishk33 General Discussion 11 08-29-2009 08:46 PM
Fees Nino General Discussion 4 07-02-2009 12:50 AM
Question about Transportation! rebeccaaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-01-2008 02:06 PM

Transportation Fees

Old 08-07-2010 at 07:58 PM   #1
shay2014

Liked: 4 Times

Transportation Fees
How much does it cost to commute to school by go bus/ go train ( still deciding)? Are there student discounts or do you buy a monthly pass? and where can i buy it? thanks.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:14 PM   #2
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

It depends on your destination.
The student ticket is roughly 95 bucks and you can get them at any Go station. At mcmaster you can get the at COMPASS.
here's a link to calculate the ticket prices.
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...?N ew=#frcity
TO get the student ticket all you need is the mac ID with the appropriate sticker on it

shay2014 says thanks to Ace0fSpades for this post.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:17 PM   #3
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2014 View Post
How much does it cost to commute to school by go bus/ go train ( still deciding)? Are there student discounts or do you buy a monthly pass? and where can i buy it? thanks.
I'll be commuting from Mississauga and it really depends on your location. For ex, if I take Square One GO BUS to Mac, the student monthly pass is $210 (excluding discounts) whereas if i take Oakville Carpool lot GO BUS to Mac, the student pass is $165 (excluding discounts)...

And yes, you can get discounts on your student monthly passes. Your McMaster Student ID, along with HSR sticker i believe, acts as your GO student discount card. Your discounts can range from 10% to 30% of the original cost.

Helpful links:

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa.../GOTransit.htm

http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainability/at_transit.html

shay2014 says thanks to TheMist for this post.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:19 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

They no longer have student tickets, unless they've changed this for 2010.
When you purchase a monthly pass, which you'll need for most months, you ask for a student ticket to McMaster from wherever you're originating. You MAY have to show ID but I have never had to. Just carry it when you purchase your monthly pass just in case.
Buy your tickets 2 weeks ahead of time so you don't have to deal with the rush
I commuted from Mississauga and my MP was 204/month

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...OStudentID.htm

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

shay2014 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:40 PM   #5
shay2014

yeah, i'm thinking i might take the one transit bus to burlington go , and then take the go train from burlington to mac.

thanks sooo much for the help. and just out of curiosity, what is better... go train or go bus, or no real difference. I'm just wondering since i'm assuming a large part of my life once school starts will be spent on a bus/train.

is one more comfortable, less noisy, idk. any preference? thanks again !
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:50 PM   #6
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
yeah, i'm thinking i might take the one transit bus to burlington go , and then take the go train from burlington to mac.

thanks sooo much for the help. and just out of curiosity, what is better... go train or go bus, or no real difference. I'm just wondering since i'm assuming a large part of my life once school starts will be spent on a bus/train.

is one more comfortable, less noisy, idk. any preference? thanks again !
To get to McMaster, it will always be a GO train + bus (unless you catch the rush hour bus from Burlington to Mac). I find the train to be a lot more comfortable due to leg room, but it is fairly rocky and writing can be tricky. The bus isn't too bad either, unless somebody drops the back of their seat onto your knees while somebody else is beside you, causing you to have no room.

In the end, there's no real difference, but I prefer the train. You'll have to get used to both since you need both to make it.

Old 08-07-2010 at 08:51 PM   #7
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Personally, I think the train is more comfortable (unless you're leaving Toronto during rush hour and spend the whole trip sitting on your backpack in an aisle). There's more space, and better lighting. However, coming from Burlington GO, the train only goes to Aldershot GO, and then you have to take a bus to Mac. Between 7 and 9am the train actually stops at Burlington GO, so there's a direct connection to Mac (approx 20 min). And between 4 and 7pm, the bus from Mac also bypasses Aldershot GO. The rest of the day, the trip is longer because you have to take a bus and the train (which I would just find annoying because it takes longer ).

Your other option is the Burlington carpool lot at Dundas and Walkers' Line. There's a bus from there direct to Mac that also takes about 20 min.

ETA: If you want to save some money, and don't mind the extra time, you can get home for free! You can use your student card to get on the HSR, and if you ask for a transfer, you can get on Burlington Transit. It takes about an hour to get from Mac to Burlington GO though.

Last edited by KRan : 08-07-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:57 PM   #8
shay2014

ohh ok ! something else i can consider, awesome. does the burlington carpool happen everyday... and how frequent is it? and yeah, i was thinking the train might be more comfortable.
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:59 PM   #9
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Here's the Carpool lot schedule:

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/schedules/lstserdt.aspx?table=4 6&station=&new=

A new schedule will come out for the fall - buses come more often during the school year. It never runs on Saturdays.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:02 PM   #10
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
ohh ok ! something else i can consider, awesome. does the burlington carpool happen everyday... and how frequent is it? and yeah, i was thinking the train might be more comfortable.
Weekdays, same with the bus direct to Mac. For weekends, you'll need to take the train to Aldershot, take the bus to Hamilton GO Centre (which actually has a bunch of stops along Main West/East, so you can get off and catch HSR to Mac).

Old 08-07-2010 at 09:02 PM   #11
shay2014

thanks ! i greatly appreciate the help and advice.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:40 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
They no longer have student tickets, unless they've changed this for 2010.
When you purchase a monthly pass, which you'll need for most months, you ask for a student ticket to McMaster from wherever you're originating. You MAY have to show ID but I have never had to. Just carry it when you purchase your monthly pass just in case.
Buy your tickets 2 weeks ahead of time so you don't have to deal with the rush
I commuted from Mississauga and my MP was 204/month

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...OStudentID.htm
Can you cite your source for the fact that they don't tell student tickets anymore?

I still see that 10-ticket student rides are still available.