MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRIPLE Minor? britb Academics 17 06-18-2010 04:52 PM
Triple Rooms in Residence Jayuna Residence & Housing 2 07-04-2008 08:18 PM
Triple Room Request omzar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-25-2008 02:52 PM

Triple Rooms & Co-ed?

Old 03-10-2009 at 04:19 PM   #16
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

random interjection:

you CAN have co-ed residence rooms! When I lived in Bates 2 years ago there was a 4 person apt on my floor that had 2 guys and 2 girls. Housing won't placing you with the opposite sex, but if you really, REALLY want it, you can get co-ed rooms.

Does Hedden not have triples anymore?
Old 03-10-2009 at 04:33 PM   #17
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

If your first choice is triple then I have a feeling you will get it (obviously nothing is certain). The top choices are most likely single, and keyes suite, then apartment, double and so on down the list.
Old 03-10-2009 at 04:35 PM   #18
JeffB

To the best of my knowledge they do not allow co-ed rooms. But housing and conference services would known for sure. Definitely not in double triples where you are in the same room. Small chance for suite or apartment where you are technically in separate rooms.
Old 03-10-2009 at 05:13 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinny1 View Post
random interjection:

you CAN have co-ed residence rooms! When I lived in Bates 2 years ago there was a 4 person apt on my floor that had 2 guys and 2 girls. Housing won't placing you with the opposite sex, but if you really, REALLY want it, you can get co-ed rooms.

They changed the policy on coed room sharing the year after you left Bates. I remember talking to Marty Brown about it...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Alex McColl says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 03-10-2009 at 11:05 PM   #20
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

hahaha that's probably for the best!
Old 03-11-2009 at 06:57 AM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yeeah.

Apparently the year previous a couple moved into a room together in Bates and then broke up a few weeks into the school year...

*awkward turtle*

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-11-2009 at 08:57 AM   #22
marieeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinny1 View Post
They removed the triples in Hedden, I lived there last year and I thought the third person in a triple room had not so much personal space.

Brandon has a few triples on the first floor, they're quite large and roomy.
Old 03-12-2009 at 09:54 AM   #23
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Hedden had tons of triples (and even some quads) when I was in first year last year. The amount of triples depends on the demand for first year residence spots. I heard that a lot of the rooms that used to be doubles became triples because of demand, maybe they were too small that's why they apparently don't exist anymore.
Old 03-12-2009 at 01:33 PM   #24
Chimmy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Unless things have changed since last year, you rank your housing preferences according to building and style. For example, Whidden triple, Woodstock triple etc.
When I applied for rez just last week, there was no option to specify a building, which I was greatly dissapointed about. The only option was what type of room you wanted :s
Old 03-12-2009 at 03:04 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

That's the way the system was when I was in first year...

i was wondering how long it was going to take for them to go back...

Old 03-12-2009 at 03:38 PM   #26
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i don't like the new system. i loved being able to look at buildings, decide what i wanted. they each have a different atmosphere, i liked selecting based on that.
Old 03-14-2009 at 12:41 PM   #27
Sweetie321

Liked: Liked 3 Times

whatt :|
so this means that my building preference doesn't even matter anymore?!

oh no :( .
Old 03-19-2009 at 06:06 PM   #28
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

If you ask for a Bunk & Loft Triple, you'll get one. If you ask for a Triple, you might get it. That's only because there are a lot of Bunk & Loft Triples with a very low demand while there are relatively few "real" Triples. That being said, B&L Triples are less expensive than the real Triples.

Moulton & Whidden are very similar buildings. They were built around the same time and "mirror" each other (Moulton was all Girls, Whidden was all Guys). Now everything but Wally is co-ed. As was stated previously, co-ed apartments are no longer offered.

Hedden only has B&L Triples when the demand requires them. I lived in a Hedden pentagon shaped B&L in 1st year, it's the smallest triple in the system and they have mostly been converted back into the doubles they were designed to be. That being said, if Commerce & Engineering over enrol again (like they did last year) the Hedden B&Ls will be back as anyone with an average high enough to get into Commerce or Engineering also has a high enough average to be guaranteed res.

Just some numbers:
Type - # of Beds (# of rooms)
B&L Triple - 384 (128)
Quad - 28 (7)
Double/Triple - 1612 (don't know the breakdown, but most of these are doubles)
Double + WR - 320 (160)
Single - 403 (403)
Single + WR - 145 (145)
Bates Apt - 511 (6, 4 and 2 person Apts... most of these are 4s)
Keyes Suite - 280 (70)

* WR = Washroom
** the odd one out in Bates is the MSU President (he has a 2 person Apt to himself)

Macstu129030, Sweetie321 all say thanks to Alex McColl for this post.