MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linear Algebra 1B03 - are tutorials mandatory? omgwtfitsp Academics 6 12-29-2011 06:18 PM
Are Math 1B03 tutorials mandatory? oranges Academics 7 11-05-2011 09:48 PM
Two Mandatory courses at same time mediagurl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-10-2011 12:12 PM
Mandatory Courses FULL. Rakim Academics 1 06-14-2010 12:10 PM
Conflict Are PSYCH 2RA3 (STATS) tutorials mandatory?? WavyOne Academics 10 06-15-2009 07:56 PM

Are the tutorials for the following courses mandatory and what do you do in each?

 
Old 07-08-2012 at 10:58 PM   #1
lalalola2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 4 Times




Are the tutorials for the following courses mandatory and what do you do in each?
Like are there any assignments?

These are the courses:

Chem 1AA3
Psych 1XX3
Physics 1L03

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012 at 12:19 AM   #2
vinny06
Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 60

Thanked: 5 Times
Liked: 3 Times




Chem 1AA3 - there's a TA that can help you with questions that are posted on Avenue. These are questions for practice, not marks. Also, the full solutions for the questions are posted on Avenue at the end of each week.

Psych1XX3 - you discuss the assigned modules for the week with a TA. No assignments during the tutorial, but you do get marked on participation. I believe the tutorial participation mark is ~10% of your final mark, but I'm not completely sure and it may change even if this was the case last year.

Physics 1LO3 - the TA goes over concepts discussed in class and at some point (the beginning or the end) during the tutorial there is a multiple choice quiz based on content from the previous week's turorial. The quizzes are usually fairly straightforward but there's not much room for error as they're only out of five. I believe there are ~9 quizzes that make up ~27% of your overall mark (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope this helps.

lalalola2011 says thanks to vinny06 for this post.
Old 07-09-2012 at 12:20 AM   #3
Silver
Elite Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,511

Thanked: 193 Times
Liked: 392 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Like are there any assignments?

These are the courses:

Chem 1AA3
Psych 1XX3
Physics 1L03

Thanks!
before chem tutorial they post questions for u to do. in tutorial u work on them and take them up. answers to these are posted weekly. not many kids go to tutorial since the answers come up. in my experience, doing them before a test would help. i never kept up with the though. just did em a night or 2 before each test.

i cant comment on the other courses.

lalalola2011 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 07-09-2012 at 01:50 AM   #4
Leeoku
Moderator
MacInsiders Staff
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,998

Thanked: 276 Times
Liked: 521 Times




I used to like it when they go through the whole thing and show step by step. Now it's just group work and "ask for help" in chem 1aa3

lalalola2011 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 07-09-2012 at 08:06 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
Moderator
MacInsiders Staff
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,509

Thanked: 312 Times
Liked: 633 Times




For Psych 1XX3, your tutorials are mandatory as that's where you receive your participation marks and get assigned your groups for your term long inquiry group project.

I wouldn't recommend Phys 1L03. It's a waste of a 1st year course and there are much more interesting things you can take instead, especially if you need to take Phys 1B03 at some later point.
__________________

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences


lalalola2011 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-10-2012 at 01:31 PM   #6
lalalola2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 4 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
For Psych 1XX3, your tutorials are mandatory as that's where you receive your participation marks and get assigned your groups for your term long inquiry group project.

I wouldn't recommend Phys 1L03. It's a waste of a 1st year course and there are much more interesting things you can take instead, especially if you need to take Phys 1B03 at some later point.
Yeah i know its a waste yet a mark booster, but the thing is im not sure if im ready for 1B03 even though i did well in grade 12 physics. So, if i get into a good study habit, i might change 1L03 to 1B03 if not then i wont take the risk
Old 07-10-2012 at 01:32 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,511

Thanked: 193 Times
Liked: 392 Times




if thats your logic then how do you think you're ready for chem 1a03/1aa3, bio 1a03, and dare i say math 1ls3?
Old 07-10-2012 at 01:50 PM   #8
lalalola2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 4 Times




Cuz i HAVE to take all those courses and math 1LS3 isn't hard...from what ive heard and maths never a problem for me

Ive just been advised by a couple people to not take it first year as it is a challenging course...so yea idk
Old 07-10-2012 at 01:54 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,511

Thanked: 193 Times
Liked: 392 Times




you dont HAVE to take those courses. they are just serving as prereqs for 2nd year programs just as physics 1b03 would.

and are you considering taking physics in 2nd year then? 2nd year gets harder for most people. first year content is easy to understand for the most part. course content gets harder each year so you want to take a course you think is hard during 2nd year, which will be a tougher year than first most likely?
Old 07-10-2012 at 02:02 PM   #10
lalalola2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 4 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
you dont HAVE to take those courses. they are just serving as prereqs for 2nd year programs just as physics 1b03 would.

and are you considering taking physics in 2nd year then? 2nd year gets harder for most people. first year content is easy to understand for the most part. course content gets harder each year so you want to take a course you think is hard during 2nd year, which will be a tougher year than first most likely?
Well yea i thought of that too the fact that each year things will get harder and i think its better to take it first year and get it over with, but idk why some people are telling me to take it second year.

Maybe becuz by then ill have good study habits and will be more prepared?
Old 07-10-2012 at 05:00 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,392

Thanked: 347 Times
Liked: 345 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Yeah i know its a waste yet a mark booster, but the thing is im not sure if im ready for 1B03 even though i did well in grade 12 physics. So, if i get into a good study habit, i might change 1L03 to 1B03 if not then i wont take the risk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Well yea i thought of that too the fact that each year things will get harder and i think its better to take it first year and get it over with, but idk why some people are telling me to take it second year.

Maybe becuz by then ill have good study habits and will be more prepared?
I've heard that 1L03 doesn't even prepare you that well for 1B03.
It's a mark booster, maybe, but so are other electives that you could take that you find more enjoyable. If you'll need 1B03 eventually, then you're wasting one of your electives by taking 1L03.

I highly doubt your study habits will have changed so much that you will suddenly be capable of doing physics in second year where you weren't in second term of first year. You will be just as prepared then as you would be in first year. It's a first year course, and like most other first year science courses, covers predominantly high school material and then moves a bit beyond it. It's designed for people coming from high school, you won't be at a disadvantage by taking it in first year.
Really, if you suck at it, you'll suck at it regardless of when you take it, and in second year you won't even have the benefit of all of your friends taking it at the same time as you (to study with, work on problems with, ask for help, etc), and you'll likely have a harder workload, depending on your program.

Also, if you are one of the people who cares more about the marks you get than the value of your education, consider that many professional and grad schools put less emphasis on first year marks than they do on later years. If you're going to get a bad mark it's better to do it in first year and get it over with.
Old 07-10-2012 at 06:33 PM   #12
lalalola2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 4 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I've heard that 1L03 doesn't even prepare you that well for 1B03.
It's a mark booster, maybe, but so are other electives that you could take that you find more enjoyable. If you'll need 1B03 eventually, then you're wasting one of your electives by taking 1L03.

I highly doubt your study habits will have changed so much that you will suddenly be capable of doing physics in second year where you weren't in second term of first year. You will be just as prepared then as you would be in first year. It's a first year course, and like most other first year science courses, covers predominantly high school material and then moves a bit beyond it. It's designed for people coming from high school, you won't be at a disadvantage by taking it in first year.
Really, if you suck at it, you'll suck at it regardless of when you take it, and in second year you won't even have the benefit of all of your friends taking it at the same time as you (to study with, work on problems with, ask for help, etc), and you'll likely have a harder workload, depending on your program.

Also, if you are one of the people who cares more about the marks you get than the value of your education, consider that many professional and grad schools put less emphasis on first year marks than they do on later years. If you're going to get a bad mark it's better to do it in first year and get it over with.
Yeah i heard that too
Well no im not really wasting it because i HAVE to take one or the other physics to meet requirements for the completion of Life Sciences I thats why i cant really take a different elective.

Well my study habits = cramming and its just a whole new experience so yeah ill definitely be more used to the system or environment than i will be in first year. I don't suck at it at all cuz i crammed for every test/quiz and even the final the day before, didnt pay attention in class EVER cuz i just always lost myself day dreaming (as the teachers notes sucked anyways) and ended up with an 88% (which i regret...could of done a lot better)

And yeah that is true...all my friends are taking it first year and i wont have that benefit if i take it later.

Wait so med schools look at your overall GPA AND your GPA of every year???

And then again a better mark = better knowledge of the subject so basically even if i do bad itll be considered a waste of money, and im sure i wont once i get into a schedule, fix my habits, and get organized.
Old 07-10-2012 at 06:36 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,392

Thanked: 347 Times
Liked: 345 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Yeah i heard that too
Well no im not really wasting it because i HAVE to take one or the other physics to meet requirements for the completion of Life Sciences I thats why i cant really take a different elective.

Well my study habits = cramming and its just a whole new experience so yeah ill definitely be more used to the system or environment than i will be in first year. I don't suck at it at all cuz i crammed for every test/quiz and even the final the day before, didnt pay attention in class EVER cuz i just always lost myself day dreaming (as the teachers notes sucked anyways) and ended up with an 88% (which i regret...could of done a lot better)

And yeah that is true...all my friends are taking it first year and i wont have that benefit if i take it later.

Wait so med schools look at your overall GPA AND your GPA of every year???

And then again a better mark = better knowledge of the subject so basically even if i do bad itll be considered a waste of money, and im sure i wont once i get into a schedule, fix my habits, and get organized.
The majority of second year programs require 1B03 to be completed by the end of second year, and if you do it then, it will cost you an elective spot, so yes, you are losing an elective.

For many people, cramming works. If it works for you, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Some med schools weight GPAs of each year differently, some only count your most recent three years, etc. It depends on the school.

A better mark does not mean you have more knowledge of a subject.

ozilcr7 likes this.
Old 07-10-2012 at 07:12 PM   #14
lalalola2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 4 Times




Oh i thought you were talking about an elective spot in first year....that is true what your saying :S

True but being organized will help so i can do other things like go out and plan stuff

Oh okay thanks for letting me know about that!

Well not necessarily but you know.... :/

Gah! Idk what to do...if i should stick with what im planning to do or not.
Cuz i know physics 1BB3 ill also have to do...and i dont remember clearly but i think its just as challenging
Old 07-10-2012 at 09:15 PM   #15
ozilcr7
Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10

Thanked: 0 Times
Liked: 0 Times




Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
A better mark does not mean you have more knowledge of a subject.
This statement deserves to be quoted. Spot on.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



McMaster University News and Information, Student-run Community, with topics ranging from Student Life, Advice, News, Events, and General Help.
Notice: The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the student(s) who authored the content. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by McMaster University or the MSU (McMaster Students Union). Being a student-run community, all articles and discussion posts on MacInsiders are unofficial and it is therefore always recommended that you visit the official McMaster website for the most accurate up-to-date information.

Copyright MacInsiders.com All Rights Reserved. No content can be re-used or re-published without permission. MacInsiders is a service of Fullerton Media Inc. | Created by Chad
Originally Powered by vBulletin, Copyright 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved. | Privacy | Terms