MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Club: McMaster's Autism Assistance Tutoring Program (Executive Positions Avail) Rene Clubs & Groups 6 09-25-2010 01:02 PM
CHEM 1A03 Tutoring Jason036 Academics 6 09-17-2010 03:37 PM
tutoring activities janeller Volunteering Opportunities 7 01-06-2010 11:12 PM
Math Help/Tutoring? changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 04-22-2009 10:33 PM
Where should I go if I need Math tutoring? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-11-2008 02:44 PM

Tutoring

Old 01-10-2010 at 02:59 PM   #1
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Tutoring
Where is a good place to connect with people looking to tutor students?
I'm *considering* getting a tutor for BioChem... (HTH SCI 1AA3)... because we don't really have lectures, only powerpoint slides and tutorials... and after going through the first powerpoint lecture... I feel like I may need some help.
I'm not for sure yet though, going to see how this week in tutorial goes and how much more learning happens there, and I don't have a lot of money (I'm not working this semester), but I gotta decide if I really do want a tutor...
but is there a place on mac's site or anything where people advertise for their tutoring?
Old 01-10-2010 at 03:40 PM   #2
MrFryingFish

Liked: 5 Times

This is where you're supposed to find them

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/tutors

Good luck though, I've contacted 4 people for math tutoring in the last couple days and not one has gotten back to me yet.
Old 01-10-2010 at 04:00 PM   #3
Charbs

lol go figure eh...

well thanks for the site though

Maybe someone tutoring biochem will be more attentive than math people

Hope someone gets back to you soon though, it's frustrating when you can't understand the stuff you're supposed to be learning...
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:10 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFryingFish View Post
Good luck though, I've contacted 4 people for math tutoring in the last couple days and not one has gotten back to me yet.
The Math and Stats department prides itself on the availability of tutoring/extra help...so much so that it provides free tutoring every week for first year math courses (See http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/undergra...pin_center.php for details) and hosts a list of private tutors:

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/tutors.php

The reason people may not respond is because people so frequently send mass emails to everyone on the list. I used to respond to every single email I got, but after meeting with several people who didn't take it seriously (ie. "Oh ok, let's meet next Monday" and bailing on me last minute/not showing up), I decided to only respond to a limited number.

On that note however, what course do you need help with? Here is my personal tutoring page if you're still looking for a tutor:

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/tutoring.html

Last edited by Mowicz : 01-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:23 PM   #5
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

You could also ask your professor if he/she has a list of grad students or upper year students who are looking to tutor. In my experience, most professors know of 2 or 3 students who are willing to help out for some money.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:50 PM   #6
Charbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

The reason people may not respond is because people so frequently send mass emails to everyone on the list. I used to respond to every single email I got, but after meeting with several people who didn't take it seriously (ie. "Oh ok, let's meet next Monday" and bailing on me last minute/not showing up), I decided to only respond to a limited number.

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/tutoring.html
That's why I am not emailing anybody quite yet, because it said they charge 15-25/hr and I don't know if I can do that... AND I haven't had tutorial yet so I'm curious to see how much my TA teaches us and goes over concepts first.
And I'm assuming you were asking the other poster what courses they needed help with ... because you tutor math, and I am doing everything possible to avoid taking math courses haha

<p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
You could also ask your professor if he/she has a list of grad students or upper year students who are looking to tutor. In my experience, most professors know of 2 or 3 students who are willing to help out for some money.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
That's a good idea too, except that I have seen my prof once at the front of a lecture hall and will never see him again haha... but I may msg the head TA and see if he has any suggestions for someone he knows is looking to tutor as well

Thanks guys
Old 01-12-2010 at 07:35 PM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

^^Yes, I was asking the other poster regarding math courses...unfortunate ly, I have no experience with biochem, so I can't address your question directly, but hopefully gave a little insight indirectly.

Also, I hate to be saying this, but I doubt you'd find tutoring at the university level for less than 20 an hour. ): It's a shame, really. If you find someone charging substantially less than this (ie. even 15) then they may be lacking in confidence, which isn't a good quality for a tutor to have, or haven't done their research (which shows a lack of initiative. I doubt anyone would be doing it just 'out of the goodness of their heart' which I think is a shame.

Personally, I charge an average of 25/hour** for one-on-one tutoring, depending on what exactly the student wants me to do. It isn't that I want to make money off of it or anything (infact, I try to hold 'free' tutoring sessions now and then so everyone can benefit (: ), it's simply the way the market is...20-25 is a 'typical' rate for tutoring, for whatever reason. As I mentioned, I need to come off as 'confident' otherwise people will think 'why is this guy charging so little?'

(**I'm a grad student...the going rate is typically anywhere from 20-35/hour).

EDIT: Oh I forgot...if finances are the main issue preventing you from getting a tutor, you may be interested in 'group tutoring' sessions. What some tutors will do (hopefully a biochem major would do this) is meet with small groups of 4 or 5 people for just a little more than the cost of 1 student.

I had a group last semester, of 5 students I'd meet with every week to discuss calculus. I charged $30 per hour, which benefits me because I get $5 more than I'd charge for 1-1 tutoring per hour, but benefit the students because by splitting the cost between 5 students, each only had to pay 6 dollars (which is a ridiculous deal for tutoring!)

EDIT 2: Oh I also just remembered. Try not to contact your own TA for tutoring advice (unless they specifically told you what I'm about to say).

A TA is not allowed to tutor students registered in their own course because it creates a conflict of interest. ie. the TA may be accused of giving the student special treatment, test answers, etc. and it's just a big mess all around that isn't worth it for the TA or student.

The problem is many TAs don't realize how serious an accusation like this is, because there's no like, TA manual or anything... and so unless your TA knows about this issue, they may be tempted to tutor you themselves (which is a bad idea!)

Good luck with your search. (:

Last edited by Mowicz : 01-12-2010 at 07:48 PM.