MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
November 11th is the last day to drop courses, but until what time? Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-10-2011 10:50 PM
until WHAT TIME tomorrow can we add/drop courses? PT001 Academics 6 09-15-2011 05:33 PM
Two Mandatory courses at same time mediagurl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-10-2011 12:12 PM
time to pick courses??? MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-06-2011 04:33 PM
Courses that have to be completed by certain time.. sidraH Academics 2 12-31-2009 04:20 PM

two courses at the same time

Old 06-03-2013 at 01:14 PM   #1
LifeSciences

Liked: 1 Time

two courses at the same time
If two courses are at the same time, can I still take both if I plan on not going to class? I know SOLAR lets you register for the courses, but then on your timetable it would say conflict or sth... But does that mean that I can take both?
Old 06-03-2013 at 01:53 PM   #2
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

If you have two classes at once and you have a midterm for each of those classes you are going to be screwed.
Old 06-03-2013 at 01:58 PM   #3
LifeSciences

But midterms are usually scheduled at night time aren't they? I am just wondering whether I am allowed to be registered into two courses that have conflicts...
P.S. one of the classes is physics and the other one is a health sic course tutorial.
Old 06-03-2013 at 01:59 PM   #4
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Chris23.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:12 PM   #5
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I know someone who took 2 courses that conflicted and it did not turn out well for them. The courses were in different departments and happened to have midterms in class on the same date. Since the person signed up for the classes knowing they conflicted the professors were not willing to make other arrangements for the midterm. The person used MSAF for one of the midterms and had the percentage moved to the exam. It turned out that the midterm had a very high average and the professor made the exam hard in order to lower the class average. I'm not saying that this happens every time, in fact its probably rare. But it is possible to run into conflicts like this so you need to make sure you do your research and find out the marking scheme for the courses since some courses also have in-class assignments/iclicker questions.

LifeSciences says thanks to sf for this post.

Jason036 likes this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:24 PM   #6
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
I want to smack you for this comment... just because two courses have the same lecture time slot, does not in ANY way mean that they will have the same midterm date and time. maybe you shouldnt answer the question when clearly you dont have a knowledgeable answer.
two classes at the same time is not a problem if you dont care about missing lecture.
One thing you should check on is whether or not there will be in class quizzes or tests in both of the classes. That would be something you would email the prof of the course about.
Sorry for the misinformation that was given to you by that previous poster.

I said "if"

lol

PockyWarrior, Silver like this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:38 PM   #7
peanuts

Quote:
I want to smack you for this comment... just because two courses have the same lecture time slot, does not in ANY way mean that they will have the same midterm date and time. maybe you shouldnt answer the question when clearly you dont have a knowledgeable answer.
two classes at the same time is not a problem if you dont care about missing lecture.
One thing you should check on is whether or not there will be in class quizzes or tests in both of the classes. That would be something you would email the prof of the course about.
Sorry for the misinformation that was given to you by that previous poster.
That's why he says if you have happen to get midterms on the same day, you'll be screwed.

Jason036 likes this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:39 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Some faculties, like Science, require that you remove yourself out of the conflict. If you don't, you are required to meet with the Associate Dean's Office for a chat. I suppose that in the worst case scenario, if you were in a conflict that effectively jeopardized your midterms/assignments/attendance/whatever else, neither faculty is obligated to assist you as in most cases, a course can be postponed or shuffled around.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

LifeSciences likes this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:41 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Insulting one poster unnecessarily doesn't help the OP either. His information was not correct. He said "if". Please don't inflame the discussion.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

nadinee likes this.
Old 06-03-2013
Silver
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:03 PM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
If you have two classes at once and you have a midterm for each of those classes you are going to be screwed.
If you read the post, the if statement is in regards to having two classes at once, not having to midterms on the same day. This sentence states if you have two classes, AND they each have a midterm (NOT ON THE SAME DAY BASED ON THE CHOICE OF WORDS). Thanks for coming out Silver!
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:05 PM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
another useless post that makes 0 sense. why you so damn hostile even when you cant read.

it is possible to get midterms at the same time. majority of 2nd year science courses have midterms in class during lecture time. and if its just the health sci tutorial and physics lecture, it wont be too bad and conflicts probably wont happen. physics 1b03, 1bb3 (i assume you have one of these) have midterms that arent during lecture time so youre fine there.
also, im pretty sure my post gave all the information that the op was looking for. Whether or not it also included my pointing out of a mistake made by another reply made in this thread, my advice was accurate and helpful. The fact that i further disproved your attempt at calling my post useless and saying that i was wrong in my comments against that other poster are just a bonus for me
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:08 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

In addition to all of the potential problems previously mentioned, if the exams are on the same day, you won't get any special consideration. They try to schedule exams for conflicting classes at the same time in order to minimize exam conflicts.

So yeah, you're risking having term work at the same time, if the tutorial has participation marks/quizzes/presentations and physics has in-class anything (quizzes, iclicker stuff, midterms, etc), as well as risking having conflicting exams that you can't do anything about. On top of that, your faculty might not even allow the conflict - as was already mentioned, the faculty of science won't let you unless you're in your fourth year and require the conflict to graduate. Other faculties might have similar rules.

Also, don't always assume that your midterms will be in the evenings. In upper years that is true less and less, and it still doesn't mean that they won't conflict.
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:56 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
also, im pretty sure my post gave all the information that the op was looking for. Whether or not it also included my pointing out of a mistake made by another reply made in this thread, my advice was accurate and helpful. The fact that i further disproved your attempt at calling my post useless and saying that i was wrong in my comments against that other poster are just a bonus for me
that doesnt give you reason to insult someone the way u do.
Old 06-04-2013
Chris23
This message has been removed by a moderator. .