MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
sessional average? maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:40 PM
Made By Mac Finalists Face The Judging Panel! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 02-27-2010 11:25 AM
What does everyone's face look like when they make a dump killza General Discussion 15 11-27-2009 01:24 AM
Questions on Diversity at McMaster and Sessional Profs feonateresa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 42 04-16-2008 07:23 PM

Two Hundred McMaster Sessional Professors Face LayoffI

Old 06-11-2009 at 12:58 PM   #45
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
CLAs picketing at Convocation: http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/581574

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-11-2009 at 01:40 PM   #46
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Yeah, my program isn't as bad but 18-19% of the courses on the course list aren't offered anymore. But that's only 8 courses out of 43. So there still quite a bit to choose from. Can't say they are all interesting though :\
Old 06-22-2009 at 04:20 PM   #47
sinsintome
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
A lot of science courses were lost.

:| Now I'm screwed to find a course from a "required" list, where 50% of the courses are missing and the rest I've either taken or they're incredibly uninteresting (sup, bioinformatics!)

Bio 3TT3 is gone - thankfully I took it last year. Yes, the enrollment was small, but that's because it was a night class and Kolasa wasn't teaching.

4T03 - Gone. So, Phys students are forced to take 4X03 instead.

Nucleus and Cytoplasm - Gone, even though they had large enrollments last year.

Bio 3F03 - Gone. Probably because the lab component forces the class sizes to be smaller.

Histology - not offered.

It wasn't just the arts that were affected.
ITA! all the seemingly interesting courses are either full or unavailable for me. this sucksssssssss!
Old 06-30-2009 at 02:45 PM   #48
paixetamour
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
Another Perspective Would be Necessary
If we could kindly have the University explain these cuts, because I just read an article about this in the Hamilton Spectator that reports the hiring of 35 tenure track professors in the wake of these "cut-backs". There is a conglomeration of numbers and facts and figures, but not a clear explanation WHY this is happening.

If anyone has picked up the Silhouette lately and purused the first article the money the University is receiving in order to enrich Technology programs seemed to be dripping off the page. Maybe the University is actually trying to improve itself and use the money they are receiving wisely?

The dispute between WHICH professors are better CLA or Tenure, because we all have had both and both have advantages. I don't care if your mom is a Prof or if your Uncle is a janitor, it doesn't matter. CLA's are equally as qualified but just less perminent. The increasing number of CLA's is due to the University's inability or lack of desire to hire full time tenure track professors for whichever reason.

I have signed the petition but, I am still a little in the dark....

PS: I am just wondering, how come University officials never post personal statements on Macinsiders? It is mostly our student drivel...which is amazing but, it doesn't do much for me because I feel like I am reading a cat-fight rather than range of well constructed arguments.
Old 06-30-2009 at 03:06 PM   #49
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Anyone looking for more information: http://unit2jobcuts.wordpres s.com/
The Budget section on this website explains some stuff. I'm not the expert at spreadsheets but its ridiculous at first glance. The budget for HealthSciences goes up from 57k to 58k from 08/09 to 09/10. For Science it goes from 45k to 48k
For Social Science however it goes down from a less then half pathetic budget line of 23k to 20k in 09/10.
So it appears it has only targeted the ARTS students. But then again I'm not the best at Accounting so can someone with a background with budgets the VP Finance for example explain the implications of this budget?

This Comment from a user looks interesting though: Including: "how is it the university is creating a new VP position paying hundreds of thousands of dollars a year while cutting back sessionals that cost under $7,000 per course per semester"
Seriously?! So the cost of two Mac Students or half of my tuition(international ) pays for a course and they are talking about serious economic concerns?
Hence If I were to be asked are impressive profs like Todd Alway worth $8000? How hard an equation is that?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-30-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2009 at 03:47 PM   #50
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times
You might also be interested in MUFA's (who represent tenure track faculty and CLAs) budget report at http://www.mcmaster.ca/mufa/BACJune12Combined.pdf .

They call attention to the fact that there has been a tremendous increase in the number of highly paid administration positions (VPs, Deans and associate Deans). They also show the difference between the rate of enrolment vs. the increase in faculty. Lots more students, nowhere near as much increase in faculty.

Also, if you're having trouble figuring out what the hell these different types of professors are, try this http://www.jeffrybak.ca/primer.html#professor s It's related to UTSC, but it's applicable pretty much everywhere.
Old 07-01-2009 at 01:28 PM   #51
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by paixetamour View Post
PS: I am just wondering, how come University officials never post personal statements on Macinsiders? It is mostly our student drivel...which is amazing but, it doesn't do much for me because I feel like I am reading a cat-fight rather than range of well constructed arguments.
They don't post because we're not an official source of the university. Because we're run by students what we do or say effectively doesn't matter all that much.

Has anyone ever tried talking to someone in the university administration before? Unless you're tied with a specific group (senate, faculty society) you are likely to not even get the time of day, let alone an appointment. They're "too busy" to talk to students.

We're the ones left in the dark when it's our money that's being flushed down the drain.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-01-2009 at 03:30 PM   #52
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
They don't post because we're not an official source of the university. Because we're run by students what we do or say effectively doesn't matter all that much.

Has anyone ever tried talking to someone in the university administration before? Unless you're tied with a specific group (senate, faculty society) you are likely to not even get the time of day, let alone an appointment. They're "too busy" to talk to students.

We're the ones left in the dark when it's our money that's being flushed down the drain.
Well even with the two official venues for talking to the administration, the faculty societies don't view themselves as or have alot to do with gauging student opinion and getting their views across; they are more effective at organzing welcome week and other social events and funding sub-societies. Hypothetically a student could visit office hours for faculty members and share their issues with them, but hypothetically in today's world that student is a myth. The faculty socieites have to come out and approach students. Secondly I only realized last month that senators exist, and the one for my faculty was elected acclaimed along with other faculties similalry acclaimed since I have no idea when the elections happened. Similarly I don't think Senators do as good a job as the SRA members have recently "Attempted" to contact students and you don't really see them even participating on insiders apart from the Humanities senator Callen.

In such a scenario I would think atleast places like Insiders or maybe the MSU should have wider legitmacy(a quick look of the bylaws revealed that only the President is allowed to attend meetings, I don't recall whether that is on a voting basis or not) and voice infront of university officials.

Similarly even the faculty members on the senate are most probably long term employees and tenured members(since their terms are 2 years or even more sometimes in the senate), meaning all the CLA's and Sessionals don't really have much of a voice, I don't blame them for making CUPE active in that case then!

But I guess the Unversity officials "prefer" if there is a barrier of access between your average student who is critical of all these cuts and the ones making the descisions don't they? It probably helps them keep it all down low and pretend as if nothing negative is ever going on at McMaster!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-01-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2009 at 06:51 PM   #53
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing

Liked: 422 Times
Does anyone have any information regarding which profs are sessional, and do we know which of them will not be returning?
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:01 PM   #54
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

As for if they're sessional or not, if they have a rank of associate, assistant, professor or distinguished professor they are considered tenured. They would also be on the faculty webpage with a full blurb. But we don't know exactly who is and who is not other than by observing each department.

We don't have a full list of who is and who isn't returning, no. There are technically still some teaching positions for classes available.

Old 07-05-2009 at 11:57 PM   #55
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times
Sessionals generally don't have any rank and won't be listed on a department's website.

Also, tenure is different from rank. You can be an untenured assistant or associate prof.
Old 07-06-2009 at 05:55 AM   #56
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

True. Although from my experience most un-tenured profs don't really use titles like assistant and associate

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:34 AM   #57
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

I was at work reading an article about U of T's layoffs and I found it quite interesting. The gist:

- Although investment in the school has dropped (a loss of about 21 million)
- Grants and funding have increased
- The cost of tuition coupled with increased enrollment has actually increased the university's revenue.

The last two offset the loss from the lack of business investments. Still, sessionals were laid off. I'm curious to see how Mac is holding up.
Old 07-07-2009 at 11:38 AM   #58
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I was at work reading an article about U of T's layoffs and I found it quite interesting. The gist:

- Although investment in the school has dropped (a loss of about 21 million)
- Grants and funding have increased
- The cost of tuition coupled with increased enrollment has actually increased the university's revenue.

The last two offset the loss from the lack of business investments. Still, sessionals were laid off. I'm curious to see how Mac is holding up.
Well, UofT also implemented Flat Tuition fees this year, so I'm sure that will help with revenue.
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:32 PM   #59
Alvand
Program: Business

Liked: 39 Times
I heard Dr. Ouellette is not returning to Mac. If this is true, I am very saddened.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Article Tools