MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which Laptop should I get?
MacBook Pro 18 45.00%
HP - Windows 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci student blocked out of Life Sci 2A03??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-14-2010 08:56 PM
Typical Timetable nick First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-22-2009 08:56 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
Need some laptop advice for life sci. Sultan Computers & Tech 8 08-16-2009 05:14 PM
lesbian student life MissMalice General Discussion 3 03-08-2008 11:21 PM

Typical Laptop for a Life Science student?

Old 08-21-2009 at 10:13 PM   #46
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post

lol, I've guess they've updated that problem since I last played with OS X. This did not exist in everything below OS X 10.4.

On the other hand; I see they've removed the FTP server and the Windows SMB server, and left only the proprietary apple file sharing protocol; pretty nub. I'm sure you won't have any trouble sharing files with a Windows system .

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 08-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2009 at 10:38 PM   #47
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, I've guess they've updated that problem since I last played with OS X. This did not exist in everything below OS X 10.4.

On the other hand; I see they've removed the FTP server and the Windows SMB server, and left only the proprietary apple file sharing protocol; pretty nub. I'm sure you won't have any trouble sharing files with a Windows system .

Anyway; this does not
Whenever the OS increase in .1 that means a significant system overhaul. Which is why OSX Snow Leopard is 10.6.

They do have OSX Server. It's unnecessary to include the FTP server and Windows SMB in the OS for general users. Sharing with Windows machines has always been a hassle. It seems the kink between the two won't be solved anytime soon. Especially considering how Windows Live Messenger makes it extremely difficult for osx users to share files just through that.
If you really want to start up a server though with an external simply use the terminal to set one up much the same way you would with Windows, except you'd be typing the address etc into a black box than a grey one with menus.
Old 08-22-2009 at 02:21 PM   #48
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
lol people are getting to hyped up over Windows 7. It's basically just a tweaked Vista but people seem to think its amazing since all they have to compare it against is Vista which was a major flop. It's still got nothing on OSX.

Actually 7 has been benchmarked to run faster and more efficiently than Windows XP, on top of looking pretty and being easier to use for the general (non-techie) population.

Ever since Windows XP, BSOD really aren't that much of an issue anymore... it's actually quite stable.
Old 08-22-2009 at 03:41 PM   #49
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Actually 7 has been benchmarked to run faster and more efficiently than Windows XP, on top of looking pretty and being easier to use for the general (non-techie) population.

Ever since Windows XP, BSOD really aren't that much of an issue anymore... it's actually quite stable.
The people that complain about Vista and 7 tend to have problems due to lacking sufficient RAM for the OS to do caching. Both do run faster than XP on newer machines. All of the most recent OS's do this (I'm going to assume OS X does it too). This is why most operating system specifications recommend at least a gig or two.
Old 08-22-2009 at 03:44 PM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The people that complain about Vista and 7 tend to have problems due to lacking sufficient RAM for the OS to do caching. Both do run faster than XP on newer machines. All of the most recent OS's do this (I'm going to assume OS X does it too). This is why most operating system specifications recommend at least a gig or two.
Do you think you can run windows 7 with 2Gigs of RAM?

Right now I'm running windows XP and I'm only using 600Megs... I don't play any crazy computer games either.
Old 08-22-2009 at 03:46 PM   #51
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Do you think you can run windows 7 with 2Gigs of RAM?

Right now I'm running windows XP and I'm only using 600Megs... I don't play any crazy computer games either.
2 gigs should be enough for the 32 bit version... it's recommended that you have more RAM for the 64 bit version.

jhan523 says thanks to Taunton for this post.

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 08-23-2009 at 09:37 AM   #52
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

I've seen people having no BSODs even on Vista in the entire 2 year course! People need to change their Mac vs PC perspective now....PC is ruling

and you'll need to buy another macbook for Snow Leopard
Old 08-23-2009 at 09:50 AM   #53
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
and you'll need to buy another macbook for Snow Leopard
lol wut?
Old 08-23-2009 at 10:06 AM   #54
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
lol wut?
lol, nevermind... its a $29 upgrade this time (had to look it up after your post)
Old 08-23-2009 at 11:31 AM   #55
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

your in denial if you think vista doesnt have problems.
Old 08-23-2009 at 01:25 PM   #56
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
Yup snow leopard is set to release in Sept. '09. Don't know and don't care about windows.
It'll be sooner than that for Snow Leopard. But you didnt hear it from me
Old 08-23-2009 at 02:26 PM   #57
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
your in denial if you think vista doesnt have problems.
never used it for more than 2 days. btw, no OS is without problems
Old 08-23-2009 at 07:42 PM   #58
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
...you'll need to buy another macbook for Snow Leopard
This is partially true. Leopard was the last OS to support Apples older Power PC processors. Anyone who has an apple computer with a Power PC processor will need to get an Intel based mac if they want Snow Leopard.

Afzal likes this.
Old 08-23-2009 at 07:46 PM   #59
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
You're in denial if you think Vista doesn't have problems.
I don't see many problems if your computer is fast enough for it. No more than XP had at least.

It's like how people complain that Office 2007 has problems. Everything being rearranged does not count as a problem .
Old 08-24-2009 at 12:33 AM   #60
bjorney

Liked: 0 Times

since XP was released i havnt had a single BSOD

OSX is a simple OS compared to windows, but that doesnt make it a better system unless you cant figure windows out in the first place.

I would get a windows based laptop but would generally avoid dell or HP, toshiba/acer/other companies will have comparable laptops for 25% less $