MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering notes mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 02-27-2011 04:41 PM
Course Notes Steph Butter Academics 9 01-30-2010 05:26 PM
Write out notes or type out notes? Chad Academics 50 08-21-2008 02:54 PM

Typing Notes vs. Writing Notes by Hand

Old 08-15-2011 at 03:53 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

As others mentioned it really all depends on the class. If the class includes powerpoint slides, your best bet is to print them out and take notes directly on them. This has worked for me for all my bio and psych courses. You can definitely use your laptop for them though. For things like chem and math, you'll need extra lined paper and you can't really use a laptop for that.
Old 08-15-2011 at 04:02 PM   #17
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

for me when i was writing notes out by hand i would get tired and i tended to fall asleep. i would miss some stuff and if i was scribbling really fast it be hard for me to go back and read over it

when i was typing out the notes i found that the bright comp light in my fface kept me awake. and even if i was typing really fast i could make out what i wrote a lot better.
so for my typing was better. ( also if you worried about facebook distractions and other stuff you can always disable your network connection, this was you wont be able to get onto the internet, and you will get an extra hour+ of battery life , it worked really well for me)
Old 08-16-2011 at 05:50 PM   #18
younans

Liked: 0 Times

Use laptop if the stuff is very wordy (unless you prefer by hand). Just try not to simply type everything on the projector the way I did for headstart ENGINEER 1P03.

If you need lots of equations or diagrams, do it by hand.
Old 08-16-2011 at 06:02 PM   #19
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Out of all my courses first semester the only classes I used my computer for were Kin 1Y03/1YY3. It was a lot of info all at once so it was easier to write on my laptop. I also felt it saved paper and printer ink because I didn't print all of the powerpoint slides to write on them.

Typed out notes were easier for me to read when exam time came around. But it was so much easier carrying around pen + paper and not my laptop everywhere so I mostly just wrote my notes. It depends on prof/class. You will see!