MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding timetable codes Limbacker First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-19-2010 07:19 PM
Understanding the Master Timetable... goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 42 06-30-2009 08:53 PM
Understanding Engineers WekSos General Discussion 30 01-14-2009 02:37 PM
Understanding Course Requirements FlyWithMac Academics 16 06-29-2008 08:44 PM

Understanding Student Acounts

Old 07-31-2009 at 01:16 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Understanding Student Acounts
Hey I was hoping someone could help clear something up for me. I registered and paid for a summer class but I canceled it before the critical date and so I should get the money back. On my student accounts, it says my student account balance is -503.45 (I hope the negative does not mean that I owe them any money). Anyways, I am having some difficulty getting the money to pay my tuition for the next year/getting back the money... when I click "pay now" it takes me to external banking site but I want to pay with what's on my card... can someone please help me out?
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:19 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Hey I was hoping could help clear something up for me. I registered and paid for a summer class but I canceled it before the critical date and so I should get the money back. On my student accounts, it says my student account balance is -503.45 (I hope the negative does not mean that I owe them any money). Anyways, I am having some difficulty getting the money to pay my tuition for the next year/getting back the money... can someone please help me out?
Thanks!
Nope, the negative means that they owe you money.

What do you need help with? They will automatically send the extra money through a cheque by mail. Not sure when, but they will.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:21 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

That -503.45 like Jeremy said is money that the school owes you. That being said, if you want to use it to pay for your tuition, then just leave it in your student account. It will offset the cost of tuition when the school ends up billing you soon.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:22 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
That -503.45 like Jeremy said is money that the school owes you. That being said, if you want to use it to pay for your tuition, then just leave it in your student account. It will offset the cost of tuition when the school ends up billing you soon.
The school should have already billed you though. I have the tuition I owe showing up in my student account.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:24 PM   #5
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The school should have already billed you though. I have the tuition I owe showing up in my student account.
Touche. I still think the $500 she has should be automatically deducted from what she owes then. It would be strange that the school would refund you $500 when you owe them money.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:27 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Touche. I still think the $500 she has should be automatically deducted from what she owes then. It would be strange that the school would refund you $500 when you owe them money.
Yeah, but that's only if she owes them money which would only be the case if they hasn't confirmed her payment agreement yet.

But it's true that they won't refund the 500$ at this time, more likely after the first OSAP pickup and then after the second OSAP pickup.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:31 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

thanks for your replies, I have both a negative amount 500 for "student account ballance" and a positive amount for "Balance forward" on my account statement for 5800... so my understanding is that the what I owe to Mcmaster ie balance forward, will go down to 5300 eventually... I hope that's right.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:34 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
thanks for your replies, I have both a negative amount 500 for "student account ballance" and a positive amount for "Balance forward" on my account statement for 5800... so my understanding is that the what I owe to Mcmaster ie balance forward, will go down to 5300 eventually... I hope that's right.
Yeah, that should happen. Have you reconfirmed your payment agreement since cancelling the course?
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:40 PM   #9
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Maybe it doesnt deduct it because tuition isnt due till Sept 1.
Old 07-31-2009 at 02:05 PM   #10
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, that should happen. Have you reconfirmed your payment agreement since cancelling the course?
Yeah that is most likely the reason why.