MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unlock Portal 2 Faster! ShadowPlay Gaming 2 04-15-2011 12:15 PM
I Need a Phone! RyanC General Discussion 116 02-20-2011 01:39 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
unlock Guitar Hero II marauderlove General Discussion 0 05-01-2008 03:17 PM

Unlock i phone 4 ios 5?

Old 10-31-2011 at 10:37 AM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Unlock i phone 4 ios 5?
Hello
I got an i phone 4 but its locked with rogers
and i am with fido
any one know how to unlock?

also i need to make my sim smaller is there a place close that i can do it on campus?
Old 10-31-2011 at 11:37 AM   #2
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

Gevey Sim
You need to buy a gevey sim because there is no software unlock for iphone 4 with that ios and baseband.
You can find gevey sim on ebay for around $10-15.
Don't make your sim smaller, just go to fido and buy a microsim for $10.

mfattal says thanks to MacNeuro for this post.
Old 10-31-2011 at 03:26 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Switch to Rogers, Fido is gross.

On an unrelated note, this is amusing.

ikantsepll likes this.
Old 10-31-2011 at 03:57 PM   #4
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Actually I don't believe a Gevey SIM will work for you. The new baseband that comes with iOS 5 prevents the Gevey SIM from working. If this iPhone 4 came with iOS 5 from the factory then it obviously must have the new iOS 5 baseband and there's no way at all that you will be able to use a Gevey SIM in it successfully, and if it came with iOS 4 and was updated to 5 without being particularly set up for unlocking (using a baseband preserving utility during the OS update process, which I believe also must be accompanied by a jailbreak), you're out of luck again.

Basically you need to wait for Gevey or someone to release a new product compatible with iOS 5.

mfattal says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 10-31-2011 at 04:05 PM   #5
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Hello
I got an i phone 4 but its locked with rogers
and i am with fido
any one know how to unlock?

also i need to make my sim smaller is there a place close that i can do it on campus?
alright so you have three unlock options;

1) Rogers/Fido will unlock phones for a fee, $50+tax which is quite expensive BUT I find it worth it for iphones to get it hardware unlocked. 3rd party sites were doign it for 175USD ... but they stopped. Rogers/fido do have some conditions, the phone must not be tied to a contract or else they wont do it. I recently got a 2nd hand fido phone I bought off kijiji unlocked, its an easy process its hit or miss when you call in. In your case you will have to call fido and explain why you need it unlocked.

2) Jailbreak and unlock it, currently there are a few basebands that can be unlocked through jailbreak, you can look that up

3) Unlock with gevey sim, but again with ios5 only certain basebands will be able to be unlocked. I would assume your phone got updated to ios5 and your probably running baseband 4.11.08 which will not work with the gevey sim.

Right now, considering you upgraded your phone, you may be SOL, you can either wait for a software unlock (jailbreak) or wait until the hackers find a way for the gevey sim to work.
Other than waiting, you can try getting it hardware unlocked.

Also if you need your sim cut , I can cut it for you.
PM me for details.

mfattal says thanks to WekSos for this post.
Old 10-31-2011 at 04:48 PM   #6
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WekSos View Post
alright so you have three unlock options;

1) Rogers/Fido will unlock phones for a fee, $50+tax which is quite expensive BUT I find it worth it for iphones to get it hardware unlocked. 3rd party sites were doign it for 175USD ... but they stopped. Rogers/fido do have some conditions, the phone must not be tied to a contract or else they wont do it. I recently got a 2nd hand fido phone I bought off kijiji unlocked, its an easy process its hit or miss when you call in. In your case you will have to call fido and explain why you need it unlocked.

2) Jailbreak and unlock it, currently there are a few basebands that can be unlocked through jailbreak, you can look that up

3) Unlock with gevey sim, but again with ios5 only certain basebands will be able to be unlocked. I would assume your phone got updated to ios5 and your probably running baseband 4.11.08 which will not work with the gevey sim.

Right now, considering you upgraded your phone, you may be SOL, you can either wait for a software unlock (jailbreak) or wait until the hackers find a way for the gevey sim to work.
Other than waiting, you can try getting it hardware unlocked.

Also if you need your sim cut , I can cut it for you.
PM me for details.
Thanks for the tips
I am with fido an the phone is locked to rogers
will fido unlock it?

and i saw a gevey sim on ebay but its 45$ so ill pay 50$ to unlock it
what you think?
Old 10-31-2011 at 07:13 PM   #7
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the tips
I am with fido an the phone is locked to rogers
will fido unlock it?

and i saw a gevey sim on ebay but its 45$ so ill pay 50$ to unlock it
what you think?
Fido may be able to unlock it, they can unlock the other companies phone, BUT you will probably be told to call rogers.

The gevey sim is only guaranteed to work with os4.3.5 and lower, and CERTAIN ios5 basebands but yours probably got updated when apple caught on.

The gevey is not worth $45.
I have an extra gevey sim laying around now that i unlocked my fido iphone but it most likely wont work in your situation.

If you go to settings -> general -> about and go to the very bottom check the "Modem Firmware" portion and post up what baseband you have. It should be in a XX.XX.XX format.
My guess is that you have a 4.11.08 baseband..
Old 10-31-2011 at 08:57 PM   #8
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WekSos View Post
Fido may be able to unlock it, they can unlock the other companies phone, BUT you will probably be told to call rogers.

The gevey sim is only guaranteed to work with os4.3.5 and lower, and CERTAIN ios5 basebands but yours probably got updated when apple caught on.

The gevey is not worth $45.
I have an extra gevey sim laying around now that i unlocked my fido iphone but it most likely wont work in your situation.

If you go to settings -> general -> about and go to the very bottom check the "Modem Firmware" portion and post up what baseband you have. It should be in a XX.XX.XX format.
My guess is that you have a 4.11.08 baseband..
ya I have Modem Fimware
is it possible i can deupgrade my iphone?
like go to the older version for the i phone so i can use that gevey chip?

how did u unlock ur fido?

I called fido and they told me to talk to rogers
and fido takes 50$
Old 10-31-2011 at 09:24 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
ya I have Modem Fimware
is it possible i can deupgrade my iphone?
like go to the older version for the i phone so i can use that gevey chip?

how did u unlock ur fido?

I called fido and they told me to talk to rogers
and fido takes 50$
Its my understanding that the only way to 'downgrade' your software is to have an image (or whatever the term is) backed up because of the way Apple authenticates the software with your particular phone.
Old 10-31-2011 at 09:27 PM   #10
mfattal
Elite Member

I called rogers
they said i need to have the phone with them for 3 years before i can unlock it with them
the person told me go to a mall in hamilton and unlock it there
will these guys do a legit unlock or jail break my phone?
any one know a trusted place and know how i can get there?
i live on res and i dont have a car so maybe by bus?

thoughts?
Old 10-31-2011 at 09:39 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
I called rogers
they said i need to have the phone with them for 3 years before i can unlock it with them
the person told me go to a mall in hamilton and unlock it there
will these guys do a legit unlock or jail break my phone?
any one know a trusted place and know how i can get there?
i live on res and i dont have a car so maybe by bus?

thoughts?
I went into the Rogers store in Eastgate Square mall a while ago to get my old phone unlocked, and the guy referred me to the little booth set up there that unlocks phones. Not sure what the name of the booth is but its 'legit'. Theres lots of places that do this service, but this is the only place I know of... and I was referred by Rogers, and Wind employees, so...

mfattal likes this.
Old 10-31-2011 at 10:40 PM   #12
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I went into the Rogers store in Eastgate Square mall a while ago to get my old phone unlocked, and the guy referred me to the little booth set up there that unlocks phones. Not sure what the name of the booth is but its 'legit'. Theres lots of places that do this service, but this is the only place I know of... and I was referred by Rogers, and Wind employees, so...
where can i find this place?
and how much does it cost?
is it close to mac cause i dont have a car
Old 11-01-2011 at 08:39 AM   #13
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its my understanding that the only way to 'downgrade' your software is to have an image (or whatever the term is) backed up because of the way Apple authenticates the software with your particular phone.
It's possible to downgrade to a lower iOS version (eg 4.3.5 to 4.3.1 or 5.0 to 4.3.3) if you preserve the SHSH blobs before upgrading. Then you will be able to downgrade with the help of a tool like TinyUmbrella.

Unfortunately this won't downgrade your baseband and so if you've upgraded to a non-unlocked baseband, downgrading to a prior iOS version won't help you unlock.
Old 11-01-2011 at 09:24 AM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
It's possible to downgrade to a lower iOS version (eg 4.3.5 to 4.3.1 or 5.0 to 4.3.3) if you preserve the SHSH blobs before upgrading. Then you will be able to downgrade with the help of a tool like TinyUmbrella.

Unfortunately this won't downgrade your baseband and so if you've upgraded to a non-unlocked baseband, downgrading to a prior iOS version won't help you unlock.
'Blobs' is what I meant, and I have no idea what a baseband is, hehe
Old 11-01-2011 at 10:03 AM   #15
Andrew A
Elite Member

It's the firmware for the cellular modem on the phone. It's updated when you update the OS but I'm pretty sure there's no known way to roll back to a previous modem firmware. And it's the modem firmware/baseband that essentially dictates whether or not you're able to unlock.