MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Phone messages psps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-17-2010 10:02 PM
Les Prince Phone OneL Les Prince Forum 6 09-01-2010 08:47 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Which Phone? bilalbagha General Discussion 60 08-26-2009 03:20 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

I Need a Phone!

Old 01-09-2011 at 09:56 AM   #1
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I Need a Phone!
Hey, I have a dumbphone... a really dumb phone.. and I need to upgrade it or risk going insane..

I was thinking of getting htc/windows or an android phone, but I don't know crap about selection or whats a good price.

I need:
-it to be fast
-reliable for texting (physical keyboard option would be nice, unless the touchscreen works in the cold)
-mp3 capabilities
-decent storage capacity (music)
-wifi capabilities
-service provider not important
-access to google calender would be a benefit
-apps would be nice
-realllly would like to be able to have no message storage limit

edit: actually I'd prefer something of quality( provider), such as rogers

Thanks!

Last edited by RyanC : 01-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:04 AM   #2
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

iPhone!

Its a gem once you jailbreak it. Then you can have all the free apps you want! Don't worry about it not having a physical keyboard since its software keyboard is superd.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:04 AM   #3
vannasty

Liked: 5 Times

blackberry torch

Chevalier, siefer1322 like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:07 AM   #4
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannasty View Post
blackberry torch
Blackberries have horrible selection of apps.

They don't play nice with Gmail either. I find, when compare to iPhone, there is a delay in updating Gmail stuff between phone and Google's server. For example, deleting message1 on your desktop won't immediately delete message1 on your phone. It will be a couple hours....
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:16 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

I was reallly considering an iPhone but I don't want to jump on the bandwaggon and I just really like androids :O

Maybe I'll buy iPhone used... could I still have Roger's with my new iPhone?
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:19 AM   #6
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I was reallly considering an iPhone but I don't want to jump on the bandwaggon and I just really like androids :O

Maybe I'll buy iPhone used... could I still have Roger's with my new iPhone?
iPhone work with all carries in Ontario except: Wind, Mobilicity, and Public Mobile.

Just make sure its unlocked or locked to the carrier you want.

You sure you wanna pick phone before carrier though? Monthly price can get expensive in the end. Phone eventually get replace with newer phone but monthly plans tend to stick for a long time.

I used iPhone 3GS and 4. Gave them up a month ago because monthly bill was too much and ended up going with Wind Mobile $40/month unlimited everthing deal. Stuck with this crappy Blackberry though...

Android is a good choice. I have no experience with it so can't comment how easy it is to get cracked apps and such. One thing you do have to watch out for is buying a android phone that will no longer get official software upgrade from manufactures. So if they release new Android OS, you might not get it unless there is a 3rd party support for it.

Last edited by PHLN : 01-09-2011 at 10:22 AM.

RyanC says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:34 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Yeah, I was kind of looking for an android expert
I don't need data plans or anything, complex...

Thats a good point about the iOS version support, never thought of that.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:40 AM   #8
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I recently upgraded to the new blackberry bold 9780 from a really crappy sony ericsson phone and I love it. Yes the app selection is not as extensive as iPhone but it has everything else on your list. I use google calendar as well and it syncs up if you download the google sync app. Also the trackpad is awesome for winter, you don't have to take your gloves off to use it

BBM is also a plus (if a lot of your friends have it too)

RyanC says thanks to nila* for this post.

Amita24, Chevalier like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:44 AM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Internet surfing experience on the Bold 9780 isn't very good though compared to the newer touch screen smart phones.

Be aware if you do alot of browsing.
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:12 AM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

I don't really like typical blackberries, and the new/awesome/touchscreen ones are really expensive.
Not doing a whole lot of surfing, but it would be nice to do it occasionally.
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:33 AM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Do you have a preference about contract or no contract?

Personally although they do tend to have high prices I am quite pleased with Rogers. I always have good service, no dropped calls etc.

If you're looking to get a smartphone through one of the major service providers I'm pretty sure you have to get a data plan to get the lower, on contract price. That said I like having a data plan, Wifi is nice but you can't get it in all places and its also a huge battery eater. I like having the flexibility of being able to use the internet no matter where I am, not draining my battery as badly and faster speeds in some cases.

I currently like the plan I have with Rogers that includes data but I don't know how much you're looking to pay. Its the $50 student plan and it includes everything I need, which includes 500 MB data (which I've never gone over and I use it every day), unlimited texts, unlimited evenings and weekends with the unlimited evening talk starting at 5 pm (this was an option though, I think there were 2 or 3 other things you could pick w/ the plan instead of this if it suits you better) and 200 daytime minutes.

I got an Android phone with the plan in the summer (Xperia X10) and I really like it. My particular phone is outdated now and won't be getting any further Android updates but it doesn't sound like you absolutely need to be on the cutting edge so maybe. Its fast and Rogers is offering it for 49.99 on a 3 year contract now. On screen keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but it works in the cold for me.

That said they have new Android phone offerings too and the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate seems amazing. Its 99.99 on a new 3 year contract. I know someone who got one and they love it, the touchscreen is absolutely gorgeous. I can't comment on the on screen keyboard though.

On top of specs online reviews might help you select an Android phone that would suit your needs. People will often comment on things like the ease of use of the on screen keyboards.

Internet surfing on any of the these Android phones would be excellent. The screens are large, bright and beautiful. I like surfing on my phone just as much as surfing on my big computer monitor.

And of course with Android phones built in Google Apps is obviously a huge bonus.

If you're not looking to lock into a long contract or be forced to purchase data then you might want to look for someone selling used or something.

As far as storage for music goes the internal memory on the phones is 16 GB and they can take up to 32 GB micro SD cards. If I'm not mistaken the phones Rogers sells generally come with 16 GB micro SD cards standard.

AnguishedEnd, RyanC all say thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:36 AM   #12
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Have you heard of Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro? It is a good phone. You can text using either touchscreen or keypad although the keypad is so much better. Touchscreen is good for everything else beside texting. It is pretty fast although I am not sure how fast it is for web browsing. It can play music but the main strength of this phone is the camera. Picture and video quality is highly respectable. The price is pretty economical if you go with a plan, Fido and Rogers both carry it.

Fido $75 with a 2 year plan. $275 without a plan
Rogers $50 with a 3 year plan. $275 without a plan.

Personally, I think 2 year plan is the way to go...you can upgrade your phone just when you feel like it.

RyanC says thanks to jeboi7 for this post.
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:38 AM   #13
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

I agree with sew12.

You will never be able to take full advantage of your new smart phone if you do not subscribe to a data plan.

No instant email anywhere for example.

Hence the big question is: Are you sure you want to start picking a phone first before a plan?
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:42 AM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Have you heard of Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro? It is a good phone. You can text using either touchscreen or keypad although the keypad is so much better. Touchscreen is good for everything else beside texting. It is pretty fast although I am not sure how fast it is for web browsing. It can play music but the main strength of this phone is the camera. Picture and video quality is highly respectable. The price is pretty economical if you go with a plan, Fido and Rogers both carry it.

Fido $75 with a 2 year plan. $275 without a plan
Rogers $50 with a 3 year plan. $275 without a plan.

Personally, I think 2 year plan is the way to go...you can upgrade your phone just when you feel like it.
To note the Vivaz Pro is not an Android smartphone. It runs the Symbian OS. If the OP is not dead set on an Android phone though it might be a good option because of the QWERTY keyboard. That said it only has 70 mb of internal storage and it wouldn't be anywhere near as fast as the aforementioned Android smart phones (Galaxy, Xperia etc) that have 1 GHZ processors.

Last edited by sew12 : 01-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.

RyanC says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:43 AM   #15
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

The LG quantum is a Win 7 phone with one of the best keypads I've tried out. However Win 7 is new and lacking in apps. But that won't be a problem as time goes on, also the interface is extremely fast and smooth.

If not, you can't go wrong with any of the new HTC android phones.

Try one out in-store at a mall first to see if you like the interface/keyboard.

0t10, RyanC like this.