MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Transfer from college? Leibniz Introduce Yourself 2 09-08-2010 12:00 PM
College pro or 'action go' Sasha General Discussion 140 11-17-2009 09:45 PM
Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms? hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-02-2009 09:03 PM

Update on College Pro Painters in classrooms

Old 01-27-2011 at 10:50 AM   #15
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times
They have other opportunities to recruit students that do not use up class time, such as the upcoming (or has it passed?) career fair in MUSC.

Old 01-27-2011 at 10:53 AM   #16
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Question: How will this affect legit employers doing recruiting in classrooms? For instance, IBM likes to sometimes show up and talk about some recruiting event every year.
let's not compare IBM to College Pro Painters

L'Étoile, Mahratta like this.

Old 01-27-2011 at 10:59 AM   #17
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Question: How will this affect legit employers doing recruiting in classrooms? For instance, IBM likes to sometimes show up and talk about some recruiting event every year.
There's an exceptionally large difference. IBM is a trusted corporation that has been dealing with McMaster for years. College Painters Pro is a nuisance around campus for litter and making money directly off of students by conning them into literally buying into their program.

Old 01-27-2011 at 06:40 PM   #18
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Oh, look at that. The MSU not being effective.
Hmm, I'm not sure about this. In order to address this we really need a concerted effort from students. A lot of students have been emailing me with the course code/professor name, and I've sent the professor an email letting them know about student concerns and requesting that they no longer allow such announcements to be made. The response has been quite positive.

In order to eradicate CollegePro (and similar organizations) from classrooms it will take a bit of time ... the University cannot unilaterally impose anything due to instructional autonomy. Therefore I think the best way is for students, collectively, to voice their concerns to professors. I've e-mailed the professors of several large geography and chemistry classes so far, and we can be pretty sure their lecture halls will never have another CollegePro representative.

From what I've heard, they tend to ramp up their efforts in February, and they come back every semester. If we are to work together on this, we can increasingly minimize the number of professors who allow this to happen. Like with any lobby effort, these things take time...

Also, there isn't much we can do about CollegePro booking tables and rooms in MUSC unless we wanted to ban them altogether, but I think the most important thing is to ensure they aren't taking up the valuable class time that you pay for.

Mary

Old 01-27-2011 at 06:58 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
I don't understand why people technically need the MSU to stamp their posters to be put up around campus but you can't send out a mass email to all profs saying not to let CP and other garbage make announcements.

So putting up flyers without approval of the MSU is a big nono but going around to our classes that some of us pay 650 dollars for is okay?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Joey, kinetochore, L'Étoile like this.

Old 01-27-2011 at 07:00 PM   #20
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times
Quote:
I don't understand why people technically need the MSU to stamp their posters to be put up around campus but you can't send out a mass email to all profs saying not to let CP and other garbage make announcements.

So putting up flyers without approval of the MSU is a big nono but going around to our classes that some of us pay 650 dollars for is okay?
haters gonna hate

Old 01-27-2011 at 07:23 PM   #21
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:

You're someone who looks at anything you think is stupid and yells "WOW THATS SO STUPID" but never actually offers a solution. Exactly how do you propose to do something. I'm sure if you come up with an idea that nobody else has thought about. Actually this goes for everyone.

If someone comes up with a solution to such problems that hasn't been thought of, or tried before, I am sure Mary will agree to champion that cause.

Old 01-27-2011 at 07:29 PM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
You're someone who looks at anything you think is stupid and yells "WOW THATS SO STUPID" but never actually offers a solution. Exactly how do you propose to do something. I'm sure if you come up with an idea that nobody else has thought about. Actually this goes for everyone.

If someone comes up with a solution to such problems that hasn't been thought of, or tried before, I am sure Mary will agree to champion that cause.
qqing still, i see.

Um, what exactly is the problem with mass-emailing the professors? Because it's used for "emergencies?" What does that even ****ing mean?

Yes, E-MAIL THE PROFS.
Ban them outright from coming to class. Like I just asked, why are they not allowed to put posters up without permission but they can come to classes? What exactly is your response to that? Because unless I'm mistaken about that policy (which I only know about because of MSU clubs and members), then you haven't provided any better of an answer.

(ps keep making assumptions they're lulzworthy)
(also, the fact that you completely twist everything around is even better. My original comment is ONLY to the fact that students have spoken, have said they DON'T want these sham companies coming around and wasting our time and money, and Mary's efforts were futile. Am I condemning her for trying? No. It's just funny that we have proof that the MSU can't giterdun)

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-27-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Old 01-27-2011 at 07:30 PM   #23
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post

Just want to point out that she said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop

So her solution is to email the profs.

Last edited by micadjems : 01-27-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Oops lawley was here first. Sorryyy

lawleypop says thanks to micadjems for this post.

Old 01-27-2011 at 07:33 PM   #24
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Just want to point out that she said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop

So her solution is to email the profs.
I'm glad the Engineer can read.

(Not bashing on your faculty, trying to make a point about his )
(iirc, he's in polisci or something)

micadjems, mike_302 like this.

Old 01-27-2011 at 07:38 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

And if you really want me to elaborate, I will.

How is e-mailing the professors of ONLY students that complain effective? I'm sure by the time action is taken or when it's time for CollegePro to come around again, these SPECIFIC students will already be in different classes and will probably be subjected to more sham advertising because... WAIT FOR IT. Their new specific instructor hasn't yet received the e-mail.

So yes, a mass-email WOULD WORK because ALL the profs would be told the exact same thing. ALL the profs reaches ALL the students. And yes, unfortunately a lot of us are apathetic and won't take time to send an e-mail about our specific course that had advertisers come to, but isn't that something politicians normally take into consideration?

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:16 PM   #26
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times
I understand your argument, but the MSU doesn't have access to a list of all the faculty members. I agree that this would be the easiest solution, but those who do have access are unwilling to use it. It goes against their policy.

So my solution? Exhaust all other possible avenues so that if it does not work, I can go back with a stronger case. I'm still providing pressure for a mass email to be sent out, but in the interim I'd rather do something than nothing.

As for why posters require an MSU stamp, that is mostly a protective mechanism for students. So that means poster spaces are mostly reserved for students and student initiatives rather than companies looking to advertise. You can bet that if we removed this requirement the campus would soon become an advertising haven and student groups and their events would be drowned out.

Joey likes this.

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:17 PM   #27
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
And if you really want me to elaborate, I will.

How is e-mailing the professors of ONLY students that complain effective? I'm sure by the time action is taken or when it's time for CollegePro to come around again, these SPECIFIC students will already be in different classes and will probably be subjected to more sham advertising because... WAIT FOR IT. Their new specific instructor hasn't yet received the e-mail.

So yes, a mass-email WOULD WORK because ALL the profs would be told the exact same thing. ALL the profs reaches ALL the students. And yes, unfortunately a lot of us are apathetic and won't take time to send an e-mail about our specific course that had advertisers come to, but isn't that something politicians normally take into consideration?
That's such a simple and logical idea. The only problem is that it's already been proposed and taken to the Associate Dean (by the MSU that you keep insisting is useless/incompetent). The administration refused the idea and Mary was forced to take things into her own hands (i.e. Pass on complaints to the Profs). The MSU has addressed this issue as best it can, any complaints you still have about it should be directed towards the Administration that refused your idea, not the MSU who've already tried to do exactly what you're suggesting.

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:20 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
That's such a simple and logical idea. The only problem is that it's already been proposed and taken to the Associate Dean (by the MSU that you keep insisting is useless/incompetent). The administration refused the idea and Mary was forced to take things into her own hands (i.e. Pass on complaints to the Profs). The MSU has addressed this issue as best it can, any complaints you still have about it should be directed towards the Administration that refused your idea, not the MSU who've already tried to do exactly what you're suggesting.
If I could rub my crystal ball and be informed of every event/decision that goes on in the MSU, I would. Maybe next time she should be a little bit more detailed.

But thanks for the update.

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:22 PM   #29
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
lawley you're in commerce, please stfu

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search