MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Transfer from college? Leibniz Introduce Yourself 2 09-08-2010 12:00 PM
College pro or 'action go' Sasha General Discussion 140 11-17-2009 09:45 PM
Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms? hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-02-2009 09:03 PM

Update on College Pro Painters in classrooms

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:22 PM   #30
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If I could rub my crystal ball and be informed of every event/decision that goes on in the MSU, I would. Maybe next time she should be a little bit more detailed.

But thanks for the update.

From the first post in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi
I brought this concern to the Associate Vice-President (Academic) Peter Smith who in turn brought it to an Associate Deans Group meeting in December. Everyone seemed to be in agreeance that commercial entities should not be recruiting in class. The Associate Deans agreed to speak to instructors and ask that they not allow this to happen. There was some reluctance to send an email to all instructors as this is generally only done for matters of extreme urgence.

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:25 PM   #31
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Didn't they have a table at the job fair/whatever it was in MUSC today? I read "College Pro Painters" next to Compass...

Old 01-27-2011 at 08:26 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Actually BJ, all her posts says is that it was taken to the Associate Dean and that there was reluctance to send a mass e-mail.

Reluctance generally isn't a firm yes or no decision. That means they're thinking about it.
And was their reluctance because they don't have access to all the e-mails or because of the idea itself? See what I'm getting at? Her post is vague as t!tties.

Sorry that I'm not kissing her feet. Same ol' politics.

And if you don't have access to all the instructors' emails, how do you send out a mass-email in emergencies?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-27-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Old 01-27-2011 at 09:00 PM   #33
mlangille

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
And if you don't have access to all the instructors' emails, how do you send out a mass-email in emergencies?
I think Mary was referring to the Associate Vice President Peter Smith having access to the entire faculty list and emailing them in extremely urgent situations, NOT the MSU.

I'm going to go out on a wimb and assume that these extreme urgencies are more so referring to university wide problems or events, an example being a labour dispute of some sort on campus (i.e. Strike/ negotiations) or concerns regarding faculty funding allocations/ cuts and so on.

Old 01-27-2011 at 09:01 PM   #34
Furgazi

Liked: 22 Times
But really, take a wild educated guess as to why administration would be reluctant in the first place. It wouldn't be because they're lazy

Old 01-27-2011 at 10:03 PM   #35
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Who gives a ****. Have you people not heard about freedom of expression? It's the very same freedom that allows you all to sit here and go on spouting off whatever complaints you have. This ban on these groups is stupid. Who cares if they are a nuisance. That's all they are. Two minutes later and you're back doing the same shit you were before. Which is sitting on FB complaining about how boring class is.
We're paying, I think we've got the right to complain. Now, they don't have the right to waste our lecture-time, which, after all, we've paid for.

Would you think a ban on a group that, say, periodically took $5 from students is stupid? Overall, it'd just be a "nuisance"...I mean, it'd have been spent on the same shit anyway, booze & pot. Lecture-time is property. Groups that waste our lecture time may as well be periodically taking our money - they're entitled to this, you say?

aa123 says thanks to Mahratta for this post.

Old 01-27-2011 at 11:10 PM   #36
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Hi, is there anything stopping me from ripping up their sheets? Will I get in trouble or something?

Old 01-27-2011 at 11:15 PM   #37
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Hi, is there anything stopping me from ripping up their sheets? Will I get in trouble or something?
The other day one of my housemates said that they (or some other company, maybe) came to one of her classes and handed out a sheet. By the time it got to her in the back row, someone had scratched out all of the names on the list with a permanent marker and wrote "woops, my pen slipped!" on it.

collinbf, Joey like this.

Old 01-27-2011 at 11:17 PM   #38
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Hi, is there anything stopping me from ripping up their sheets?
Yeah.
You having really weak arms LOOOLOLOLOLO!!!!!! ROARRRRRR >:(

Old 01-28-2011 at 12:10 AM   #39
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Yeah.
You having really weak arms LOOOLOLOLOLO!!!!!! ROARRRRRR >:(
That's some unparalleled elaboration there. Well done. Such valuable input in your last few messages, like when you told someone to "stfu" because "[she is] in commerce". Man, your argument in that post: flawless!

Old 01-28-2011 at 01:26 AM   #40
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
That's some unparalleled elaboration there. Well done. Such valuable input in your last few messages, like when you told someone to "stfu" because "[she is] in commerce". Man, your argument in that post: flawless!
Dear Mike,

Can you please find it in your heart to forgive me?

I'll try my very best to contribute positively and with a degree of eloquence. Please PM me and we can further discuss this current issue.

Your Friend,

-Rakim

L'Étoile likes this.

Old 01-28-2011 at 07:45 AM   #41
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Rakim is Rhythm Shah, isn't he? It all makes sense now...

Old 01-28-2011 at 10:19 AM   #42
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Rakim is Rhythm Shah, isn't he? It all makes sense now...
hahaha nah im not, i just know hes a smart kid. Sebastian being a douche for some 'lols' wasnt necessary.

Old 02-14-2011 at 09:43 AM   #43
anonymous237

Liked: 0 Times
scam
I think the university should hurry up and ban these companies from advertising... My reasoning is more along the lines of protecting students though. I did this past summer with College Pro and lost over $5,000 (aka... work 60 hours a week may-aug, also part time feb-april, and end up owing them money). They outright LIE to us about the stats. They tell us that 90% of us will end up making money when if you look at the PDF files you download off their system, you can easily see that it's more like 90% of franchisees losing money, like I did. I don't understand how this company is still allowed to operate given their practices... They set me back at least a year or two with trying to get my life started.

They need to be stopped before more students fall victim to the scam!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search