MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper years on residence ghumanm Residence & Housing 3 05-21-2013 11:14 PM
Rooms for Upper Years swarly Residence & Housing 4 01-15-2012 05:09 PM
Upper Years in Med Rad Sci kanvi_v30 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-09-2011 12:05 PM
Upper years in residence macbaby07 Residence & Housing 28 03-14-2010 01:05 PM
Res for Upper Years Kevin Residence & Housing 2 05-17-2008 06:14 PM

Upper-years, do you have any regrets about where you are right now?

Old 10-24-2014 at 07:03 PM   #16
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
I have a question to all upper-years.

Are you happy with how education at McMaster turned out?
Do you regret that you went to McMaster, or a certain program at McMaster?
How do you feel your education at Mac compares to other Universities?
Would you do things differently (university or degree choice-wise) if you knew what you know now?

This isn't a test or whatever. I just to know how people think.
I graduated from the Mechatronics Engineering program in 2012. During my studies I was somewhat disappointed with the program. It felt like the courses were just thrown together at the last minute. To give you an example Mechatronics students had to take an electrical course (3N03?) which was designed for Mechanical engineering students. The material covered was very basic stuff the Mechatronics students covered much earlier. It was just so ridiculous I could not believe it was happening and I was paying money for it. My thought process at the time was "Oh well, Mechatronics Engineering is still fairly new to the school. They are trying to figure things out and it will get better." I wish I brought it up at the time with the dept head looking back now.

I do not regret my program of choice rather the school I studied at. Speaking with alumni from other Universities around the world it only solidifies my feelings that McMaster University should have been on the bottom of my list.
Old 10-26-2014 at 11:08 AM   #17
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
The material covered was very basic stuff the Mechatronics students covered much earlier.
Really? Because from what I get in the course outline, it covers things like transistors and MOSFETS, and we didn't cover any of that in the second year.
Old 10-26-2014 at 11:12 AM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Really? Because from what I get in the course outline, it covers things like transistors and MOSFETS, and we didn't cover any of that in the second year.
I don't recall either of those things being covered in that course.
Old 10-26-2014 at 11:26 AM   #19
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't recall either of those things being covered in that course.
http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/ug_cours/..._outl ine.pdf

It's right there. They must have fixed that class since tron students have to take it, while it's just an elective for mech eng students.
Old 10-28-2014 at 02:32 PM   #20
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/ug_cours/..._outl ine.pdf

It's right there. They must have fixed that class since tron students have to take it, while it's just an elective for mech eng students.
This course has most definitely changed. The entire course outline has be overhauled completely. I guess that's good news...