MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
urgent question Haris Academics 4 06-15-2014 09:53 PM
Urgent Exam Question skk1 General Discussion 15 12-20-2013 12:11 PM
Need Info About Exam Deferrals, Urgent! Please Help :( MaraudeRower Academics 20 12-16-2013 09:24 AM
Urgent Course Question gunsnroses Academics 3 06-07-2013 05:58 PM
Transcript Question (Urgent) CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-22-2010 10:22 AM

Urgent Exam Question!

Members have rated post #414968 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 02-19-2015 at 11:32 AM   #1
HiddenTruth

Liked: 1 Time

Urgent Exam Question!
Hi there

I have a deferred exam today in an hour and I was wondering if its possible to request a retroactive withdrawal from the course? (because I'm pretty sure you cant defer a deferred exam, but then again I was granted a withdrawal last year and they were saying that it would not be done again and is a one time thing). Ive been struggling immensely mentally, and I am registered with SAS/SWC but its hit me hard again and I have no idea what to do. Im certain I will fail....and I already have failed once. Please let me know if you have any advice on whether I should go in and write it OR if I should wait for a response from someone from the SAS department? Because if i do go in and write it they wont consider anything at all. I just dont know what to do right now, I most likely will end up blindly walking in and failing the exam unless I get so lucky i guess most MC questions right...(*eye roll*). Any quick advice?
Old 02-19-2015 at 12:42 PM   #2
lyonsnew

Liked: 3 Times

just a note
I am pretty sure you cannot do what you want in cancelling but you can defer a deferred. I know this seems mean (I honestly don't mean it to be) but once the real world starts you are going to have to deal with your problems and do the work. Unless you get a government job, such as a teacher, you will have to do your work to deadlines.
Old 02-19-2015 at 01:32 PM   #3
HiddenTruth

Wait are you sure about that? About deferring a deferred exam? Or did u mean to say you CANT defer a deferred exam?

Thanks.
And also I know what you mean, Idk why just this past week had to go the way it did.
Old 02-19-2015 at 01:38 PM   #4
lyonsnew

You can defer a deferred exam. You cannot deferred a deferred-deferred exam.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 02-19-2015 at 01:39 PM   #5
HiddenTruth

OMG have you done this? or experienced it or know someone who has? because i remember reading that that isnt possible
edit: look: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...edExamForm.pdf

Last edited by HiddenTruth : 02-19-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2015 at 03:20 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The school's rules explicitly state that you cannot for ANY reason defer a deferred exam, no matter how valid your excuse.

Based on the timing of your posts, I'm assuming you didn't end up going to write it.

If you've found yourself in this situation before and still have not managed to figure out how to handle things (i.e. get yourself into a situation where you do not require deferred exams that you then find yourself being unable to write), you really should sit down with SAS and have a discussion about the actual problems, instead of just going from crisis to crisis and hoping that people will bend the rules for you to be able to continue along a path that will lead you nowhere.

That wasn't intended to be mean, but if you are repeatedly finding yourself in these situations then the proper solution isn't hoping that the rules that were bent once before for you can be bent again and again.
Old 02-19-2015 at 05:50 PM   #7
HiddenTruth

I may have taken what you guys are saying as being harsh if this was new but I honestly at this point completely understand what your saying.

IDK why but I was able to do everything and willing to study for other things that I have upcoming this week, but for some reason didn't even process the fact that I have to study for this deferred exam. Maybe the stress paralyzed me... or idk what happened :/ and its not that im looking for rules to bend, I was going to go in and write it anyways and fail the course cuz I felt like that I deserve to fail but my counselor ended up responding quickly and let me know that its probably not the best choice to make in terms of the long run and marks and so I didn't.
Old 02-19-2015 at 08:50 PM   #8
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

Hey, the last part of your post confused me, how did you end up handling the situation? Did you end up writing the final?

I have a friend who had a similar situation and either had the option to 'redo' the course the following semester or he defered the final, again. Dont remember the exact scenario but he had a doctor's note stating he could not write the exam.
Old 02-19-2015 at 09:28 PM   #9
lyonsnew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenTruth View Post
OMG have you done this? or experienced it or know someone who has? because i remember reading that that isnt possible
edit: look: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...edExamForm.pdf
This may be new but I do know that I have TAed a courses where a person had a 'deferred-deferred'. I do believe it is possible but they don't advertise it. Just like those people that use numerous MSAF forms each semester.
Old 02-20-2015 at 05:19 PM   #10
SciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenTruth View Post
Hi there

I have a deferred exam today in an hour and I was wondering if its possible to request a retroactive withdrawal from the course? (because I'm pretty sure you cant defer a deferred exam, but then again I was granted a withdrawal last year and they were saying that it would not be done again and is a one time thing). Ive been struggling immensely mentally, and I am registered with SAS/SWC but its hit me hard again and I have no idea what to do. Im certain I will fail....and I already have failed once. Please let me know if you have any advice on whether I should go in and write it OR if I should wait for a response from someone from the SAS department? Because if i do go in and write it they wont consider anything at all. I just dont know what to do right now, I most likely will end up blindly walking in and failing the exam unless I get so lucky i guess most MC questions right...(*eye roll*). Any quick advice?
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I ahve a quick question about retroactive withdrawl. If you retroactively withdraw from a course, do you get a pass or fail (depending on if you passed or failed the course) or is the course completely removed from your transcript (which changes your course load from 10 to 9)?
Old 02-20-2015 at 09:08 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciGuy View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I ahve a quick question about retroactive withdrawl. If you retroactively withdraw from a course, do you get a pass or fail (depending on if you passed or failed the course) or is the course completely removed from your transcript (which changes your course load from 10 to 9)?
If you withdraw from a course, you are certainly not going to pass it!
Old 02-20-2015 at 10:13 PM   #12
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

A retroactive withdrawal takes the course off your transcript. I got one because I forgot I was still registered for a class (lol). Once they realized I hadn't participated at all, they let me withdraw without penalty and refunded 100% of the tuition for that course. And it's not noted on my transcript.

Last edited by Kudos : 02-22-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2015 at 11:15 PM   #13
HiddenTruth

Sorry yeah a retroactive withdrawal is what Kudos mentioned, I meant to say retroactive CANCELLATION, that way it still shows up on ur transcript but as a cancelled course rather than a fail. Its basically allowing you to drop a course without having to fail after the drop deadline if you encounter serious issues.
Old 02-28-2015 at 01:26 PM   #14
HiddenTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitnikovi View Post
Hey, the last part of your post confused me, how did you end up handling the situation? Did you end up writing the final?

I have a friend who had a similar situation and either had the option to 'redo' the course the following semester or he defered the final, again. Dont remember the exact scenario but he had a doctor's note stating he could not write the exam.
I didn't end up writing. what do u mean defer the final again? I don't get that part of your statement...was that his first deferral of the exam for the course? or second? because then you say next semester he could either redo the course...

Thanks