MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billing address for res thdms9211 Mary Keyes Forum 5 06-24-2010 02:22 PM
How are TAs supposed to mark you - based on your year or based on the course year? Kathy2 Academics 13 10-21-2009 01:53 AM
Meal Plan usage :) ali11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 04-26-2009 10:43 AM

Usage Based Billing

Old 01-30-2011 at 05:33 PM   #31
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building a site to educate student and youth about these issues. Anyone care to help me bring everything together? OpenMedia.ca is a good thing, but it's only one. We need to also have a voice as students and youth, because we're the ones getting screwed the most.

Send me an inbox message if remotely interested. Anyone with any experience in web apps and stuff are extremely welcome.
Old 01-30-2011 at 05:58 PM   #32
Mlochab

Liked: 0 Times

what about grandfathered plans? are those going as well? I have the Bell plan with 7 mbps down with unlimted bandwith, the plan is from 2001
Old 01-30-2011 at 06:16 PM   #33
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

It doesn't affect Bell plans yet. It affects resellers.

The true implication of this is that unlimited plans no longer exist, and so the big ISPs can now start attacking our regular plans.
Old 01-30-2011 at 06:29 PM   #34
kanthamd

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post

Their High speed ultimate packages (which appear to be a better deal than the pro) aren't available where I've checked in Hamilton.
I'm currently with Cogeco (and in Hamilton) and use the Ultimate 30 for internet... It's a 125 GB cap and when bundled with cable it is only $59.95. They have an Ultimate 50 package as well with a bundle price of $99 I think.

Last edited by kanthamd : 01-30-2011 at 06:31 PM.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-30-2011 at 07:09 PM   #35
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post

Alternatively you can sign up for a Cogeco business account which gets you:

Business internet starter
$64.95 with no contract, $54.95 with contract for:
7 MBps down
120 GB transfer per month

Business internet standard
$99.95 with no contract, $89.95 with contract for:
16 MBps down
200 GB transfer per month

For a house that downloads a lot, the Business internet starter is probably their best option. Note that they currently charge $1.50 / GB for overage to a max of $30. Although that is subject to change.
Actually, there is no overage charge for the Business packages. My friend in Oakville goes over by 100GB to 200GB every month, and has been doing so, for the past year and has yet to see a fee. Additionally, on the "Internet Usage" component of the Cogeco website:

Additional usage costs: $0.00 per GB (1 GB = 1024 MB)

Just went over for the first time this year, so we'll see if they try to BS. But when I was ordering I was sure to call one time in advance and ask about it and they said no.

Old 02-01-2011 at 02:54 PM   #36
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

I heard about this from my boyfriend and I signed the petition at openmedia which I hope all of you do as well since after getting over 160,000 signatures they are finally taking the petition seriously.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details since I don't understand who it affects too well. I have Bell internet at home in Toronto so would that mean changes to my billing as well? Or what is this I hear about only the smaller companies based on Bell changing? I'm thinking I should get my parents to switch from Bell but I'm not too sure which companies out there are better (we used to have Rogers and we hated it so I'm not too keen on going back to them).

I also think there should be way more knowledge about this throughout campus since I don't think that many people know about this happening.
Old 02-01-2011 at 03:24 PM   #37
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Info on how to fight UBB. Very easy stuff to do, direct links and all that:

http://www.antiubb.com/what-can-i-do/
Old 02-01-2011 at 06:34 PM   #38
smills

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Wow... someone is making a mighty fine profit... I wonder what it actually costs them to supply your internet service.
Bell Canada is profiting...

And, it costs a lot to set up the physical networks of cables and whatnot. But once they're already built (which they are) it costs maybe a penny at most to download or upload an additional gigabyte worth of data over that network... yet they're charging around $1-$2 (I believe) for every gigabyte you go over. Its outrageous.

Personally I'm screwed... sigh.
Old 02-01-2011 at 06:41 PM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I just want to share my last 4 internet bills with you guys in terms of overage charges (this is NOT including our cap of 60 gigabytes) just for the lulz

Dec: 73 gigs (our lowest amount EVER. I blame exams)
Nov: 150.67 gigs
Oct: 130.28 gigs
Sept: 124.70 gigs

Kinda funny that anyone would think that 25 gigabytes is sufficient.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-01-2011 at 06:46 PM   #40
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

Somewhat good news about this issue. The federal government is reviewing the CRTC's decision and they might possibly overturn it. The decision will be made on March 1st, which isn't too far away. Though personally I think the odds of it being overturned are small, at least there is some hope.

Full article by CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...g-clement.html
Old 02-01-2011 at 06:48 PM   #41
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I just want to share my last 4 internet bills with you guys in terms of overage charges (this is NOT including our cap of 60 gigabytes) just for the lulz

Dec: 73 gigs (our lowest amount EVER. I blame exams)
Nov: 150.67 gigs
Oct: 130.28 gigs
Sept: 124.70 gigs

Kinda funny that anyone would think that 25 gigabytes is sufficient.
Still small compares to my monthly 500+ GB.
Old 02-01-2011 at 06:51 PM   #42
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Still small compares to my monthly 500+ GB.
You're a champ.

Too lazy to find our bill.
Old 02-01-2011 at 07:06 PM   #43
robots

Liked: 40 Times

I've emailed my MP about the issue. If you plan to do so as well, be sure to mention the fact that most material required for post-secondary education (podcasts, research articles, lectures) must be downloaded from the internet. The decision by the CRTC undermines the right of students to have free access to the online learning materials that they have already paid for with their tuition.

Old 02-01-2011 at 08:18 PM   #44
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Updates:

Liberals are officially against UBB.

NDP are officially against UBB.

Current government now stepping in and reviewing the UBB.

Here is one good debate on UBB with Teksavvy defending itself. It starts at around 35 minutes so fast forward.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 02-01-2011 at 08:27 PM   #45
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Updates:

Liberals are officially against UBB.

NDP are officially against UBB.

Current government now stepping in and reviewing the UBB.

Here is one good debate on UBB with Teksavvy defending itself. It starts at around 35 minutes so fast forward.
Wow, that first guy is AMAZING at evading questions... I've never seen anything like that.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.