MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billing address for res thdms9211 Mary Keyes Forum 5 06-24-2010 02:22 PM
How are TAs supposed to mark you - based on your year or based on the course year? Kathy2 Academics 13 10-21-2009 01:53 AM
Meal Plan usage :) ali11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 04-26-2009 10:43 AM

Usage Based Billing

Old 02-03-2011 at 03:46 PM   #61
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

You should all write a thank you letter to Stephen Harper. Give credit where its due
Old 02-03-2011 at 03:49 PM   #62
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
You should all write a thank you letter to Stephen Harper. Give credit where its due
I don't have the habit of thanking people for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Iamanonymous, Lois like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 03:53 PM   #63
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Its a step forward and all but we are still lagging behind other countries.

The Cost of Bandwith: Canada vs. World

160/100Mbps line w/ unlimited bandwidth in Japan for the price I'm paying now... :'(

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 02-03-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2011 at 04:08 PM   #64
maki

Liked: 2 Times

Not so fast...
According to last night's news, the Government is meeting with the CRTC very soon to basically try to have them reverse the decision because: 1. to ensure fair competition, etc. 2. elections are upon us soon.

There is also this article I found: http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

So hopefully the decision will be reversed.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:10 PM   #65
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maki View Post
According to last night's news, the Government is meeting with the CRTC very soon to basically try to have them reverse the decision because: 1. to ensure fair competition, etc. 2. elections are upon us soon.

There is also this article I found: http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

So hopefully the decision will be reversed.
That article's from Feb 1st. If you go to page 4 of this thread, there's articles from Feb 3rd (today) that pretty much say that the decision will be reversed.
Old 02-03-2011 at 11:56 PM   #66
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Damn! Almost a victory.

Globe and Mail reports that CRTC will delay UBB start day for 60 days from March 1st in order to review the matter.

A lot of concerns about them trying to hide and hope people will just forget about the issue. 2 months is a lot of time though (They had 2 years to review!).
Old 02-04-2011 at 06:57 AM   #67
TheCrucible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Damn! Almost a victory.

Globe and Mail reports that CRTC will delay UBB start day for 60 days from March 1st in order to review the matter.

A lot of concerns about them trying to hide and hope people will just forget about the issue. 2 months is a lot of time though (They had 2 years to review!).
From your article:

“I’d like to be clear ... regardless of the outcome of the CRTC review, under a Conservative government, this ruling will not be implemented,” Mr. Clement told reporters.

I think it's safe to say that UBB will be overruled.
Old 02-04-2011 at 02:33 PM   #68
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
From your article:

“I’d like to be clear ... regardless of the outcome of the CRTC review, under a Conservative government, this ruling will not be implemented,” Mr. Clement told reporters.

I think it's safe to say that UBB will be overruled.
CRTC must be trying to find an alternative somehow.

If they know that the government refuse to accept any UBB, then why the need for 60 days review?
Old 02-04-2011 at 02:55 PM   #69
TheCrucible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
CRTC must be trying to find an alternative somehow.

If they know that the government refuse to accept any UBB, then why the need for 60 days review?
Because, as you said, they're probably trying to find an alternative. As well, it looks better for the CRTC if they "review" their own decision and subsequently rescind it than if the government simply overrules them.

Think about it this way: you're being grilled on the spot by the government, and you have one of three options.
1) Defend your decision and stick by it. Now the government will probably overrule you. And if they do, why do you even exist if the government can change every decision you make?
2) Rescind your decision right then and there. First of all, you don't want to rescind your own decision, because you (as the CRTC) don't think it's a mistake. As well, if you're rescinding your decision, why did you even let it pass in the first place? Your legitimacy is put into question.
3) Say that you will take "a couple of months to review the decision". This is the best option for you; the months you spend "reviewing" will be your excuse to rescind your own decision. As well, the government won't rescind your decision if you do it yourself, hence backing your legitimacy. And ALSO, it gives you time to think of another idiotic plan that perhaps the government will agree to, if not the people.

But the fact that pretty much every Federal party is against UBB means that it likely won't be implemented.
Old 02-04-2011 at 03:15 PM   #70
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

if this happens i'm moving the hell out

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 05:10 PM   #71
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

I may be wrong but I think the internet should be a fundamental human right and so we shouldn't be charged a lot for it. At least in my life, a lot of my daily activities rely on the internet.
Old 11-18-2011 at 12:21 PM   #72
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Thread Re-opened