MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
“My Macbook’s Keys are Shiny!” – A Notebook Survival Guide Chad Technology 68 07-27-2009 11:06 AM
Picking up your keys Steph.Lau Residence & Housing 3 08-27-2008 07:25 PM

USB keys

Old 08-04-2007 at 11:25 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

USB keys
okay, i need some guidance/help myself

i've started to think that this year it will be really useful for me to get an USB key to use when i have office hours and whatnot...

- what should i be looking for?
in regards to:
- price
- size
- durabilty?

i'm not very computer/tech savvy if anyone hasn't noticed yet...

thanks!
Old 08-04-2007 at 11:46 PM   #2
Cuppycake

Liked: 0 Times

I use my 1GB mp3 player. It has a USB end so you can plug it in, and since I like to listen to music when I'm studing in the library, I bring it almost everywhere with me.

Umm... If you like to carry mp3s with you, just get one of those. Mine is a MuVo that I got from Future shop last summer for like $60-70.

If not, you shouldn't be spending more than $50 for a USB I think.
Don't get anything under 128MB unless you plan on only having school documents. (A normal music file is approx. 5MB)

I hope this helps..=S
Old 08-04-2007 at 11:50 PM   #3
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Size: If you're just using it to save occasional doc and pdf files, 1GB or 2GB should be sufficient.

Price:
  • 1 GB: $27-$35
  • 2GB: $35-$45
Durability: I think this mostly depends on the brand, but I've found Kingston DataTraveler (which they sell at titles!), PNY Attache and SanDisk Cruzer to be the best. I even accidently put my PNY Drive in the laundry and dryer and it still worked! =P I found that in terms of speed (on USB 2.0), Kingston is the fastest.
I wouldn't recommend Ultra "FlyDrive". Four months after I started using it, the drive wasn't recognized on any of my computers (OSX, XP and Vista). Not to mention for some reason, it hogged three drive letters when I first plugged it in.

Misc: DO NOT get a drive with "U3 Technology"! U3 drives contain annoying, useless add-ons like flash games and web browsing that require a launch pad and additional software to work. In essence, before you can use the drive, you have to install the U3 software, which I can't guarantee will work on public computers. It's even more frustrating trying to get it to uninstall on Macs.
If you're prone to losing the cap from time to time (like I am), consider the SanDisk which has a sliding usb port with no cap.

Last edited by kenneth526 : 08-05-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2007 at 01:33 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Get your usb key from Factory Direct. Cheapest prices you'll ever find.
http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/cate...php?cat =8100

Get the Sandisk 1GB for only $15.
http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/prod...pcod e=SA1100

Sandisk is a good make, and just about all USB keys are durable, they don't have any moving parts so you're good to go. It just comes down to quality of the hardware and read/writing speed. This one should do fine though
Old 08-05-2007 at 11:00 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

thanks everyone!

and kenneth526...washer and dryer? wow.