MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipod touch vs. ipod video **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 11 06-08-2010 06:20 PM
iPod Touch Ad Hoc Internet? Penguin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-02-2008 07:24 PM
Ipod Touch myster General Discussion 3 06-22-2008 08:49 PM

Using an iPod Touch with Campus WiFi

Old 08-20-2008 at 02:59 PM   #1
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

Using an iPod Touch with Campus WiFi
Anyone know whether this is doable? I will have an iPod touch when school begins, and it would be great to know I could check my email etc. using the WiFi which is available around campus.
Old 08-20-2008 at 03:15 PM   #2
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I'm not sure if you can. To use the wireless network, you need to download the Cisco client program which will allow you to log in using your student ID. I don't know if you can do all that on the Ipod. I'm leaning towards you not being able to do it.
Old 08-20-2008 at 03:35 PM   #3
ange.kwok

Liked: 0 Times

It's possible to get wireless on your iPod Touch. My friend has one and she gets the internet fine on campus.
Old 08-20-2008 at 03:48 PM   #4
benjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange.kwok View Post
It's possible to get wireless on your iPod Touch. My friend has one and she gets the internet fine on campus.
Thanks! Guess that means figuring it out is one thing - but it can be done.

Chad says thanks to benjs for this post.
Old 08-20-2008 at 05:00 PM   #5
ali11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
I'm not sure if you can. To use the wireless network, you need to download the Cisco client program which will allow you to log in using your student ID. I don't know if you can do all that on the Ipod. I'm leaning towards you not being able to do it.

that's true, but only for WINDOWS based PC's. iPod Touchs run on the mac osx, and so all you'll need is your MAC ID and password (macintosh-based computers DO NOT need the Cisco client program); open up Safari, it'll take you to the authentication page automatically, and just enter that info there, and voila.

also, a random, yet possibly useful piece of information:
since the residences (other than les prince) don't have wifi, you would think that your ipod touch would have no internet. but, considering you have an apple computer, you can actually make your own wifi network using your macbook/imac.
go to System preferences > Sharing, and enable Internet Sharing (you'll have to be connected using the ethernet jack). I thought it's a neat thing, and i hope some others find it useful as well. enjoy

Chad, Nosh all say thanks to ali11 for this post.
Old 08-20-2008 at 06:13 PM   #6
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

lol i have an ipod touch. i had it with me during May @ mac and i tried getting wifi on it. when i opened up the browser it redirected me to some login page automatically.. so i think all you need to do is login. but i didnt have my macID or anything like that yet back then.. so i couldnt login. but its probably doable..
Old 08-20-2008 at 06:51 PM   #7
benjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
that's true, but only for WINDOWS based PC's. iPod Touchs run on the mac osx, and so all you'll need is your MAC ID and password (macintosh-based computers DO NOT need the Cisco client program); open up Safari, it'll take you to the authentication page automatically, and just enter that info there, and voila.

also, a random, yet possibly useful piece of information:
since the residences (other than les prince) don't have wifi, you would think that your ipod touch would have no internet. but, considering you have an apple computer, you can actually make your own wifi network using your macbook/imac.
go to System preferences > Sharing, and enable Internet Sharing (you'll have to be connected using the ethernet jack). I thought it's a neat thing, and i hope some others find it useful as well. enjoy
That's incredibly good to know, thanks for that! For me, the biggest advantage of having internet on my iPod touch is that using Simplifymedia, I can stream my music, rather than selecting from my 12,000+ songs library.
Old 08-20-2008 at 06:59 PM   #8
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

gah ipod touch..i want one just to hack it

*glares at everyone who could afford one*

Old 08-20-2008 at 07:02 PM   #9
ali11

no problem
i've never heard of simplifymedia, seems pretty neat. i want the wifi on mine mainly for email, and the itunes remote
Old 08-20-2008 at 07:07 PM   #10
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I remember this question being asked awhile ago, and Chad said that it worked fine!

Yep, here's the thread: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1849 8

Chad says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 08-20-2008 at 07:24 PM   #11
furrys

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
the itunes remote
i am so getting a touch when my ipod dies just because of this. this is the greatest thing ever. too bad there's no blanket wifi from mac to my house.
Old 08-20-2008 at 09:40 PM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

As Cippi said, this question has already been asked and the answer is YES! Yes you can!

The only thing is that every time you try and connect to the WIFI you need to login with your macid/password on the login screen and click the submit button before it connects. This can be annoying because it doesn't remember your password or have a way for it to remember your login credentials so you have to use the itouch keyboard and type your macid/password in every single dang time. Since the WIFI isn't everywhere on campus, it also won't stay connected because you'll lose your connection if you leave the building you're in (ie. MUSC) so you'll have to reconnect and re-login when you get to your next class/building.

But hey... it's a sweet device and surfing the net wherever there's wifi is nice
Old 08-21-2008 at 08:57 PM   #13
KristaG
Mills - Reference Librarian

Liked: 37 Times

yup, you can definitely use it - i use it all the time on my itouch. with all mac products, you don't need to download any extra software (you need cisco or clean access or some such thing for windows computers). just open up safari, you'll be directed to a login page - it's just your macid.
Old 08-21-2008 at 09:41 PM   #14
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

ey, at the bookstore,
is it possible to pay half cash, and half credit for the apple notebooks?
*-)..
i can't seem to save enough lol..
Old 08-23-2008 at 07:24 PM   #15
thatdudeukno

Works like a charm. I used mine quite a bit to check my emails and wut not. You will have to log in with your mac id and password before accessing the internet though.