MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
sony vaio screen problems Qadd Computers & Tech 5 09-08-2010 11:48 PM

VAIO processor?

Old 08-02-2011 at 05:39 PM   #1
MacJk

Liked: 7 Times

VAIO processor?
hey everyone,
I had planned to get myself a VAIO EB series laptop with Intel® Core™ i5-480M
however, yesterday I found out that sony isn't producing it anymore so they're out of stock

they do have the same style but it's with Intel® Core™ i3-380M
so I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the two processor types
I'm in kin so there's no need for any high tech programs
but is it good enough for uni work, and can it last 4 years? also, for anyone who bought one, what's your opinion of it?

thanks!

Last edited by MacJk : 08-02-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2011 at 05:57 PM   #2
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

I'm not a computer snob by any means but I personally wouldnt buy anything with an i-3 considering it's already seriously out-dated and underpowered.

EDIT: Ignore this I thought there were three generations of i-processors and the 380 was first gen but I just realized there's only two. My bad :/

Last edited by yaroslav64 : 08-02-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:09 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
I'm not a computer snob by any means but I personally wouldnt buy anything with an i-3 considering it's already seriously out-dated and underpowered.
i3 is outdated? Lmfao.

@OP
Since you won't be using any resource-heavy programs so to say it should last you 4 years if you treat it well. I have no person experience with Sony (Vaio) laptops though but a friend of mine does and he treats his laptop horribly yet it performs so well.
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:47 PM   #4
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

I have a sony eb with i3, and it works perfectly fine. I usually set it to power saver, and it performs well. I think you'll be fine with an i3 if it's just for everyday use.
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:52 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

i3 will be MORE than enough.
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:23 PM   #6
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

I have an Acer with an i3-350M processor, which I use quite heavily as a gaming, rendering and other resource-intensive work laptop. It's got a GT330M video card in it too, and it's never been much of a problem. It's lasted me about a year so far, and still performs like the day I bought it. Just gotta know simple things to take care of on a regular basis (y'know, memory cleanups every now and then, getting rid of useless shit like unnecessary startup programs, stuff like that.)

An i3 will do you well. It's a hyperthreaded dual-core processor, so it behaves as four virtual cores. Works wonderfully for the things you'll be doing with it.
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:27 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

These days, any processor that's not an atom will perform well above what you need for websurfing, movies, and light gaming
Old 08-02-2011 at 08:14 PM   #8
taylorsilva

Liked: 0 Times

ya that'll serve you fine for your 4 years for sure. my friend got a vaio in gr9 and he's still using it though he's deffs getting a new laptop for uni now just like everyone else
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:19 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
An i3 is not outdated. Please don't post if you don't actually know.

The i-Series is the latest personal computer processor series released from Intel, and released with the rest of the i-Series processors. It is also NOT underpowered. It provides adequate performance. You just won't be running any games at 60 FPS with it.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

MacJk says thanks to Rayine for this post.