MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year Devine13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 03-08-2013 08:42 AM
First Year Questions! davied First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 01-14-2011 09:52 PM
Some questions from a second year kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-23-2010 08:12 PM
First Year Kin Questions caitygambi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-21-2010 07:46 AM
questions (2nd year) kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-08-2010 07:39 PM

Various first year questions!

Old 07-14-2013 at 10:12 PM   #1
CSpad

Liked: 0 Times

Various first year questions!
Hi! I have some questions.

1) I'm in Hedden. Do they replace the mattresses every year? If not, is it likely that they're gross? Should I bring my own mattress?

2) I registered for Welcome Day, and when it asked "how many people are you bringing?", I said 0. However, my mom now wants to come. Is this a problem? Can I change it?

3) Would we get in lots of trouble if we tried to bring in our own mini-fridge, not from Coldex?

4) I have a gluten allergy- anyone else celiac, did you find that the food services at Mac accomodate you well?

Thank you!

Old 07-14-2013 at 10:46 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpad View Post

1) I'm in Hedden. Do they replace the mattresses every year? If not, is it likely that they're gross? Should I bring my own mattress?

2) I registered for Welcome Day, and when it asked "how many people are you bringing?", I said 0. However, my mom now wants to come. Is this a problem? Can I change it?

3) Would we get in lots of trouble if we tried to bring in our own mini-fridge, not from Coldex?

4) I have a gluten allergy- anyone else celiac, did you find that the food services at Mac accomodate you well?

Thank you!

1. I highly doubt they waste all that money replacing the mattresses each year. Just bring a mattress pad/cover (those aren't provided anyways).

2. No, it's not a problem. They just wanted an idea for numbers.

3. They won't let you put it in the room. You can try to sneak it in on a day other than move-in day, but you'd have to move it out before they do the winter break checks of the room, and if a CA happens to see it (or if someone snitches on you), you will get in trouble (major or minor, not sure which) and ordered to remove it.

4. They've gotten a lot better about gluten free options...Centro has gluten free pizza at no extra cost; Bridges has options too. It's not extensive, but it's a lot better than it used to be 5-6 years ago. You're certainly not the first Celiac or gluten-free student to live on campus.

CSpad says thanks to starfish for this post.

Chad, kaytuh like this.
Old 07-14-2013 at 11:08 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Check below.
Quote:

Prob not unless it was really disgusting or ridden with stuff. Not really If it is bad you could complain

Should be ok just a general gauge of population

You definetly would have to bring it NOT on move in day. Plus if something happens like an explosion or leak or whatever and they find out you would be liable. The Coldex policy is just a moneygrabber scheme.

I know goodnewsinc has gluten allergy she can help you with that. I think gluten allergy is kinda big thing and you could call the hospitality services to ensure. Also, before you order something you have the right to ask for gluten free options

Thank you!

CSpad says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 07-14-2013 at 11:28 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I think you got some great responses above, I'd answer basically the same things so I won't repeat what was already said.

I like dancing bunnies though
Old 07-16-2013 at 02:19 AM   #5
CSpad

Thank you all!

Every good forum needs dancing bunnies.

Old 07-16-2013 at 07:08 AM   #6
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I also agree with all of the responses, but I just thought I'd add a couple more points.

1. The matress will probably be fine. However, I find the matresses in res pretty hard, so I brought a memory foam topper, which made the bed a lot more comfy, so you might want to think about bringing one.

3. If I were you, I'd just rent the Coldex fridge. The risk probably isn't worth it.

4. I'm allergic to gluten AND corn and I lived in res first year! The head chef was very accommodating. I had plenty to choose from even though I couldn't have a lot of the gluten free stuff, so you should be more than fine. You can get rice noodles in the pasta section at Centro, and at Bistro, they will seriously make you almost anything you want if you talk to them.

CSpad says thanks to Allana:) for this post.

CSpad likes this.
Old 07-18-2013 at 10:53 PM   #7
CSpad

Thank you!

I have another question- My mom wants to come to Welcome Day. Do a lot of people bring their families or would she be out of place?
Old 07-19-2013 at 02:16 PM   #8
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Thank you!

I have another question- My mom wants to come to Welcome Day. Do a lot of people bring their families or would she be out of place?
Yes, the majority of people have their parents with them. There was even an activity that involved parent participation during Welcome Day two years ago.

CSpad says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.
Old 07-20-2013 at 02:59 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

If it's found that you have the fridge, it's a minor as well as a fine from what I remember. Like mentioned, you'd also have to move it out in December and back in, in January. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Just split the cost of a coldex fridge with your roommate.

CSpad says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.