MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off campus Food expenses gggggg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-28-2012 03:55 PM
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles aviaf Residence & Housing 48 04-27-2009 02:42 PM

Vegetarian Food on Campus

Old 07-28-2012 at 02:33 PM   #1
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

Vegetarian Food on Campus
I've been asked this lately, but didn't know the answer since I mostly pack my food from home...

What places are good to buy vegetarian food on campus? Best fries? Anything not meatish, please share what places provide them. What about prices? I know Bridges Cafe is vegetarian but sometimes it's too far and I heard that it was a bit costly.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012 at 02:48 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Why helo thar! Bridges is your best bet. A lot of it is deep fried stuff, but you can't go wrong with the build-your-own pasta, and the specials are also pretty good. It can get costly, but the same is for eating anywhere on campus. The teriyaki place in the student centre is also good to grab some rice & tofu or noodles & tofu. Creation X in the student centre has good fries.

I must also take the opportunity to shamelessly promote the Mac Veggie Club. I'm an exec for that and you should join us! We have tons of fun. Look for us at ClubsFest and check us out on Facebook (Mac Veggie Club) and at www.macveggieclub.com

optimism says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-28-2012 at 03:40 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

@Freak705 said everything to be said!

I am a vegetarian and I cook my own food at home. I pack my lunches and bring them to school etc. It's much cheaper than buying unhealthy disgusting campus food!

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

ashleighp likes this.
Old 07-28-2012 at 03:59 PM   #4
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Best fries would have to the centro! Curly fries from there are epic!

optimism says thanks to madhur7 for this post.
Old 07-28-2012 at 05:24 PM   #5
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

Thanks Chris, I'll be sure to check it out @ Clubsfest!

I know that I sound foreign... but where is the Centro?

Edit: nvm got it.

Any other tips?
Old 07-28-2012 at 06:16 PM   #6
Freak705
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post

Any other tips?
If you do buy teriyaki from the student centre, don't use the hot sauce they provide. Walk 45 seconds to the Willy Dog and take some sriracha instead. It makes all the difference.

Nectar of the gods.

Old 07-28-2012 at 07:48 PM   #7
KAB:)

Liked: 11 Times

After 3 years at Mac as a vegetarian, these have been what I've found are my favourites (I don't know how strict a vegetarian you are, I'm a lacto veg):

Bridges:
-I don't actually like bridges all that much, a lot of it is deep fried and bridges isn't open all that often (not late at night and not in the morning and not on the weekends). I like the chilli and flat bread here, but for me that's it (I'm sure many vegetarians would disagree with me and say they love bridges though, it's a personal opinion thing). The real advantage for going to bridges is that I know I can eat absolutely everything on the menu. I can turn my brain off and just pick something at random if I didn't know what I wanted (which I did quite often first year).

Centro (Commons):
-They actually have some really good "you choose the toppings" pizzas for vegetarians. The margarita pizza has great flavours
-Centro also has a veggie burgers and grill cheese with tomatoes. If you're gonna order the veggie burger make sure you have lots of time because they take forever to make
-Subs and wraps are available here, lots of good veggie options
-Brocoli and cheese soup at the salad bar is completely veggie, no chicken broth or fish oils (I've read the ingredients) and super tasty
-Lots of pasta options (and not a make your own, they make it, which I like better). If your more strict like me, avoid the teriyaki sauces cause they have fish oils

MiniMac (In Mary Keyes):
-I really like the falafel pita here, one of my two favourite things on campus. They also have a Mediterranean grilled veggie pita that's pretty good.

MAC (in IAHS):
-They have a great bean burrito here (my absolute favourite). There was also a brushetta burrito which was kinda interesting and a veggie burger burrito was wasn't my taste but I know lots of people who liked it.
-Also a sub place that you can make a great veggie full sub or sandwich or wrap
-Pre-packaged mini pizzas, can choose cheese, standard vegetarian, or once and a while the speciality pizza was a Pomodora vegetarian with feta cheese and stuff

Student Center
-Has basically the same stuff as centro (commons). Lots of waiting for veggie burgers.
-Basic pizza pizza option of cheese or veggie with mushrooms and green peppers
-Pasta place is make your own. I liked eating here until I saw one too many people sneeze over the toppings.
-Has the teriyaki place, has some vegetarian sushi (cucumber and avocado). I find the food a little expensive here though and the vegetarian stuff lacking in flavour, but you can get tofu here, which is harder to find around campus.

ETB
-Has a really good sun dried tomato goat cheese panini. On the expensive side but good.

MDCL
-Sometimes has mac and cheese or a vegetarian ravioli, not every day but it's good when it's there

Bistro (in Keyes)
-When I was in first year, bistro had absolutely nothing vegetarian except for a side salad. Now they have one pasta dish (which I personally thought was super bland and blah). When my friends wanted to eat at Bistro, I would grab a pita from mini mac and sneak it in and just order a side veggie salad. Once and a while I got told I wasn't allowed to do that but for the most part they left me alone. Never got kicked out or anything.

Thode Library
-Never order the vegetarian panini here. It's just once slice of no nutrition lettuce and one slice of tomato on a dry bun. Waste of money.
-Vegetarian samosas weren't bad when they were available
In my opinion, take the 5 minutes to walk over to the Mini-Mac at Mary Keyes if you're here and it's not raining. Better and cheaper food.

JHE
-Not much to eat. Cucumber and lettuce pre packaged sandwhich, but it had a ton of butter on it and was kinda gross. Walk across the street to IAHS or over to Keyes for better options.

-Paid Tai here is veggie and tasty

Pheonix
-More of a real restaurant. Actually has a ton of vegetarian options (way more than east side marios or kelseys exc), I was thoroughly impressed with the number of choices I had here.

There are many more options, trust me you won't starve as a vegetarian at mac (I keep editing it as I think of more things, many choices)

Last edited by KAB:) : 07-28-2012 at 11:35 PM.

optimism says thanks to KAB:) for this post.

apples12, optimism like this.
Old 07-28-2012 at 08:32 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The go-to for vegies is Bridges but it is too expensive to eat at on a regular basis, so unless you're wealthy, its best to make your own food. The phoenix actually seems to have a decent vegetarian offering, but but like Bridges, it and 1280 aren't place to eat on a daily basis.

There's all the usual pre-made sandwiches, bagels, sushi (a number of vegetarians don't count fish as 'meat'), teryaki/stir fry ('spensive'), soups, salads/fruits, la piazza offerings (omlettes, fries, blah blah), waffles, crepes, doughnuts, muffins, cereal, pizza, and much more. Centro (residence-focused food place) has tons of good stuff of a variety of types (custom made pizzas, breakfast platters, oriential food?, subs, etc).
Old 07-29-2012 at 02:03 PM   #9
Freak705
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB:) View Post
Bistro (in Keyes)
-When I was in first year, bistro had absolutely nothing vegetarian except for a side salad. Now they have one pasta dish (which I personally thought was super bland and blah). When my friends wanted to eat at Bistro, I would grab a pita from mini mac and sneak it in and just order a side veggie salad. Once and a while I got told I wasn't allowed to do that but for the most part they left me alone. Never got kicked out or anything.
Bistro has actually changed quite a bit. I never went when I was in first year because they had almost nothing vegetarian, but now they actually have several raw vegan options (which are pretty good!). So props to bistro for getting their shit together for veg*ns =D

KAB:) says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

KAB:) likes this.
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:36 PM   #10
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Definitely bridges. I'm not much a vegetable only person, but honestly, some of the stuff I've had from Bridges was pretty great.