MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost student card Phoebe Z General Discussion 1 09-06-2013 05:18 PM
Lost my student id and I have no other IDs on me lolidunno Academics 13 12-19-2012 05:37 PM
Lost Student Card: How Do I Get A New One? shes-a-diva* Anime & Comic Books 8 09-11-2012 04:31 PM
Lost my Student Card NatalyaOtaku General Discussion 2 08-10-2011 01:35 PM

A very lost student, please help (Info about Kin)

Old 09-07-2014 at 01:17 PM   #1
Nobody

Liked: 0 Times

A very lost student, please help (Info about Kin)
Hi there,
So i'm having a really hard time. I dont know what i want to do and i cant face my parents or my gf and tell them again i cant finish my program. Im not sure how many of you have been in the position of feeling so lost you're on the verge of tears every night and youre ashamed of your own shadow and you cant talk to anyone about it because you're afraid of being ridiculed. I just want some friendly advice. I'm in Business but im just not interested in any of the courses. I switched from another uni and i had completed some of my first year business courses there which i had received 93 (math), 88 (ACTG), 91 (Micro Econ), 77 (MGMT), i had great marks and its killing me inside, i wish i had the motivation to finish but i honestly don't...if i continue ill barely edge by with probably 50s because i just dont want to do any work and i dont have the money to keep hopping around from program to program and this is just fueling my already very high anxiety. I had to work very hard for those marks because im not as smart as those marks show, that was 6 hours a day minimum every single day in a chair studying. I do see a light though at the end of the tunnel, my last hope is Kinesiology. Im wondering what the course load is like (hours of homework a night)? Memorization is my strong point as long as im interested, if im not interested ill be total ADD. The courses look very interesting, if anyone in the Kinesiology program could tell me about their experience in the program, that would be greatly appreciated. I love going to the gym, I love reading up on nutrition and different exercises in my spare time, and although my grade 12 exercise science class was ALOT of work, it was good work, i enjoyed it...so maybe this would be a good fit. Im going tomorrow to drop out but im definitely considering switching into the program cuz other than this idk what else id be interested and all im seeing ahead of me is a dead end job at McDicks and i know im better than that.
*superbigsigh*
Thank you
P.S. i apologize if this isnt the right section to be posting under im just in a rush to get some answers because i just feel like crap
Old 09-07-2014 at 01:26 PM   #2
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

First of all, what is your career goal or what would you like to do after you graduate? Study for the sake of studying will get you nowhere at the end.
Old 09-07-2014 at 01:35 PM   #3
Nobody

My career goal after completing Kinesiology would be to go into physiotherapy. However i love hands on work as well and i know there are many career options that are hands on available if i complete this program.
Old 09-07-2014 at 02:50 PM   #4
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
My career goal after completing Kinesiology would be to go into physiotherapy. However i love hands on work as well and i know there are many career options that are hands on available if i complete this program.
I am thinking since you have found an area you are interested in, a helpful step would be to look into career counselling. I had a lot of appointments with career counsellors to help shape my educational and career path after my undergrad. I would suggest one of two centres to check out after you switch to kin:

1. Since you are switching from business, you may not know about SCCE. SCCE (science career and cooperative education) is pretty much where all the you can get support related to career development such as mock grad school interviews, career exploration, drop-in advising, and co-op placements. Drop by the SCCE office and look at some of the colourful handouts on the wall which gives you a list of all the schools that have physio and also other areas that may interest you in rehabilitation such as massage therapy. I also suggest booking an appointment for career exploration. The goal is to get started on thinking what sorts of skills you would need and cater your extracurricular and academic activities to develop the skills you will need.

Here's the site to SCCE: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scce/book-appointment

2. I am not sure if you have ever used the student success centre's services in Gilmour Hall 110 but there are some more career related services. I suggest booking a career counselling appointment with Kerri Latham. She is experienced and is very helpful. I have had a few appointments with her and I have been very satisfied. In addition, it may be helpful to do the Career Planning workshop which explores your interests and strengths. After the workshop, you can do one-on-one counselling to work with the results.

Student Success Centre Services: http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...-services.html

Career Planning Group: http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...ssessment.html

-------

Both 1 and 2 can be booked on Oscarplus. It's hard to say which of the two options to try but you can try both and see which one you like more.

Personally, I thought 1 was a good way to get general ideas of careers available and the appointments are quick and short.

For 2, the appointments are longer but well worth it. I book appointments after I have done the Career Planning Group and we talk about my personality, values, skills, and goals to narrow and shape down my options.

I hope this will help you make an informed decision and I hope it did not overwhelm you.

Nobody says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.

Nobody likes this.
Old 09-09-2014 at 08:18 PM   #5
MeenaM

Hey honestly you're going to be just fine. You're still a first year - you still have many opportunities to change your career/academic path. Most of us still don't know what we're doing and are just taking every step each day. If you're getting grades like those for something you don't like, can you imagine what you can do with something you do like? Like the previous posts say - talk to a counselor - it'll help a lot. I realize family and relationships are important, but something like this should be decided on your own for yourself and your goals in life. AND ABSOLUTELY NO ONE SHOULD RIDICULE YOU FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS - WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH IS NORMAL AND EVERYONE GOES THROUGH IT. Sorry I don't know anything about kin or commerce so I can't really help you there.