MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is Mechatronic? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 11-04-2012 06:30 PM
Masters Degree help adeeb Academics 10 07-13-2011 09:56 PM
10 Lies You'll Hear Before Pursuing Your Dreams Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 11-03-2010 06:51 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM

Viability of Mechatronic degree when pursuing Masters?

Old 03-24-2013 at 12:22 AM   #1
Kinder

Liked: 13 Times

Viability of Mechatronic degree when pursuing Masters?
Mechatronic deals with Electrical, Mechanical, and Software engineering. Is it possible to do a Master in either of the 3 disciplines when you completed the program? Or are you restricted to a particular faculty?

I am having such a hard time listing my choices and any wisdom would be appreciated. I like programming (1D04), mechanics (1D03), circuits (a bit of 1E03). Really hate design (1C03) and materials (1M03).
Old 03-24-2013 at 12:45 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You're not restricted. You can go and take a masters in Chemical Engineering if you want... it's about connecting with a supervisor, so in that case you might have a tough time demonstrating what they need.
Old 03-24-2013 at 12:50 PM   #3
Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You're not restricted. You can go and take a masters in Chemical Engineering if you want... it's about connecting with a supervisor, so in that case you might have a tough time demonstrating what they need.
Do you know of people in Mechatronic? Are they happy? I have the GPA for any programs, the hard part is picking them.
Old 03-24-2013 at 02:25 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Well based on those three courses, mechatron may be a good idea for you. It is a little bit on the embedded side. If you haven't done so, I would read every single description of the mandatory classes and even look at the technical electives to see if at least the description intrigue if you.

What do you see yourself doing when you graduate? And are you serious about doing Masters, like did you want to do research ?
Old 03-24-2013 at 02:43 PM   #5
Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Well based on those three courses, mechatron may be a good idea for you. It is a little bit on the embedded side. If you haven't done so, I would read every single description of the mandatory classes and even look at the technical electives to see if at least the description intrigue if you.

What do you see yourself doing when you graduate? And are you serious about doing Masters, like did you want to do research ?
I want to work on smart housing. Basically, trying to put a A.I into a house and give it enough sensors and controls for it to manage the place for you. Automation won't just stop at brewing coffee and changing the thermostats.

Since I want to go into design, I hope that a graduate degree would give me a better chance than the rest. If I can do it without, even better.

The other project I want to work on is w^3.flyingmachinearen a.org. The end goal is to have these autonomous flying robots becoming a modern butler for the physical disable. Imagine being restrained in a wheelchair and still be able to get to the top shelf.
Old 03-24-2013 at 03:20 PM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

man i just did a bunch of research about the master programs but the post didnt go through. But its good you have dreams and ideas where you want to go. but none of the three soft, mech, elec specifically mention for the masc you need the same undergrad but meng in elec for example does. it really is about faculty supervisor who wants you