Upgrading Vista to XP........ hamza7 General Discussion 24 11-16-2008 05:27 PM
Problem: CAA and Vista danman324 General Discussion 4 10-15-2008 06:31 PM

VISTA help plz

Old 01-02-2010 at 09:22 PM   #1
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

VISTA help plz
Im posting this for Lawley, as I don't know Vista to save my life.

Her computer (Toshiba Satellite A200) is able to boot up in to safe mode, but will not boot normally. When it boots normally, it loads Windows, then the screen goes black.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:28 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Did she recently update Windows?
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:34 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

How's the hard drive?
Did she attempt a clean install of Vista?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 01-02-2010 at 09:35 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

she says no.
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:36 PM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
How's the hard drive?
Did she attempt a clean install of Vista?
HD seems ok. no disks to boot from to attempt scandisk or reinstall
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:39 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

http://windows.microsoft.com /en-us...tart-correctly

It might help, its the Windows Vista troubleshooting page.

Perhaps the first option, a system restore might work.

ETA: At the bottom of that page it has options for if Windows won't start at all and it says this:

Options to try if Windows does not start at all

• Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.
  • Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  • Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows**.

Last edited by sew12 : 01-02-2010 at 09:42 PM.

reeves says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:12 PM   #7
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

My friend had a similar problem. It was a curropt Windows Vista update file or something like that. He just installed Windows 7 to fix the problem though lol.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:27 PM   #8
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

I had the same problem right before my programming exam. Just do system restore (from the last, or one before the last, restore point) and it should be fine.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:38 PM   #9
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

could be anything really.

just reinstall.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:56 PM   #10
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

since she can boot up in safe mode, do System Restore. That should help.
Old 01-03-2010 at 12:13 AM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Thanks for the suggestions. System restore didn't work, so I guess reinstall it is.
Old 01-03-2010 at 12:25 AM   #12
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Install win 7, save everyone the headache
Old 01-03-2010 at 06:31 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Is the problem that it starts up, and then at that moments where the screen goes black (like the moment of darkness right between where the windows logo shows up and then it changes to black with mouse cursor followed by the login screen)?

If so, I had the same problem with vista a while back on my computer... no real explanation why on the internet. Eventually it would get passed that screen, but it would take like 45 minutes.

I reinstalled vista, and it happened again, and so I then installed 7, and it hasn't happened since.

Old 01-03-2010 at 08:10 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Question.
When you reinstall OS, is there a way to uh... not lose one of your programs? (AKA adobe suite >_<)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-03-2010 at 08:15 AM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Also, here's the real problem.

Recently, my lcd burnt out on my laptop (I think). It's really dark, but I can still see shit in the background if I look really hard.

So I bought a VGA cable to hook it up to a monitor/TV.

Now, just turning on my laptop regularly, it loads up just fine. It gets to my desktop and everything. It's just really hard to see.

If I try to hook up my laptop to a monitor using the VGA cable, I start it up... it loads the toshiba screen, it loads the microsoft corporation page (with the green loading bars), and once that's done.. it goes black for a sec, then the monitor says "No signal" then it goes black.

I connected the VGA cable I just bought from my monitor to my desktop (so just replaced the old cable), and it still worked. So we don't think it's the cable that's faulty.

It just seems to be a problem of connecting the laptop to a monitor. O_O

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.