MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hospital Volunteering... britb Volunteering Opportunities 11 07-25-2010 10:51 PM
Volunteering at Mac hospital t.dot Volunteering Opportunities 16 07-22-2010 09:16 PM
volunteering on campus cellphone Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-19-2010 09:55 AM
Interested in Summer Volunteering SSCLeadership Clubs & Groups 0 06-26-2009 01:37 PM

Volunteering

Old 07-13-2009 at 03:30 PM   #16
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

I <3 My Maroons Jump Suit I'm pretty sure if I had a choice I'd wear it at all times.

Or... you can join SWHAT (since everyone else is self-promoting I might as well too!). SWHAT is the Student Walk Home Attendant Team. You get to meet lots and lots of students at McMaster in all faculties & years and play really awesome games (when you're not walking) and get to know the campus & community by walking around.
Old 07-13-2009 at 04:16 PM   #17
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I will be putting up a student volunteer leadership article soon enough which covers the SRA and FYC and IRC in a bit more detail. In the meanwhile, I would highly recommend first years to Run for one of the 6 positions on the FYC exec, and if you fail to win that election then try out for Faculty Rep positions on the FYC. I am the Education and Community Commissioner for FYC this year and it is actually the first step towards anything within the MSU. If anyone has more questions about my position in particular feel free to Pm me! I am actually seeking out first years and encouraging them to stand for my position in Octobers election because I still have a very important project I started last year that needs to be continued by someone highly dedicated and competent! (The First Ever comprehensive FYC survey!)

As for SRA some people do run at the end of first year(late March) for positions in their faculty. A couple of elected first years might disagree with me but: in my opinion first years should be better of taking up positions in FYC, IRC, Faculty Socities and other exec club positions before they run for SRA(at the end of second year. The SRA is the highest authority at the MSU and I think you guys should spend some time learning advocacy, taking on projects and know how of student affairs before you step out to become the representatives!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

mcinside says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:23 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I will be putting up a student volunteer leadership article soon enough which covers the SRA and FYC and IRC in a bit more detail. In the meanwhile, I would highly recommend first years to Run for one of the 6 positions on the FYC exec, and if you fail to win that election then try out for Faculty Rep positions on the FYC. I am the Education and Community Commissioner for FYC this year and it is actually the first step towards anything within the MSU. If anyone has more questions about my position in particular feel free to Pm me! I am actually seeking out first years and encouraging them to stand for my position in Octobers election because I still have a very important project I started last year that needs to be continued by someone highly dedicated and competent! (The First Ever comprehensive FYC survey!)

As for SRA some people do run at the end of first year(late March) for positions in their faculty. A couple of elected first years might disagree with me but: in my opinion first years should be better of taking up positions in FYC, IRC, Faculty Socities and other exec club positions before they run for SRA(at the end of second year. The SRA is the highest authority at the MSU and I think you guys should spend some time learning advocacy, taking on projects and know how of student affairs before you step out to become the representatives!
That's so odd. That we come in September.. and run in October.. how will anyone know you and/or vote for you? I'll PM you though Huzaifa..
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:51 PM   #19
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

lol one month is plenty of time, between welcome week and random parties in different residences, you'll know alot of ppl
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:58 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
lol one month is plenty of time, between welcome week and random parties in different residences, you'll know alot of ppl
True.. Good point about Welcome Week.. Parties.. not really for me . But it's definitely worth trying to run anyway for anyone.. Nothing to lose really
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:04 PM   #21
Phoenix

lol so true, plus you bond really well with your floor and your building, so thats alot of votes right there
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:24 PM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Yeah I don't really like the whole FYC election system either, it makes sure that it is the upwardly mobile and popular students(who normally were in the student council in their school and hence the upward mobility and popularity) are the ones who usually run for FYC elections. However without going too much into the mad beef I have with this system, people don't realize that a university council is supposed to have different aims and objectives and resposibilites then a Highschool one. But then again there is no other way to elect the FYC either :S

First years do face alot of academic and personal issues when transitioning into University and its not easy for incoming FYC people to get onto finding academic and community issues and advocating for them(Especially since they have no experience in it). Hence what normally does happen is that the FYC ends up organizing some rather good social events(since that's pretty much guaranteed experience and skill they learnt from highschool councils) and the advocacy doesn't get that much of a look over. But that is most probably because they don't know how to get to know of issues and what to do about them, hopefully once we get the survey out for class of 2012(Hence point out a few issues) the next years FYC will be a more useful and effective advocacy and representation organization. Well atleast I'll do my best to make sure by harrasing them during transition period

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 10:16 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Back to the OP, there are tons of volunteer opportunities in September with CVA (Community Volunteer Action Group). There is a ton of opportunities to work with children, individuals with special needs, and tons more. Stay posted for more information on their volunteer fair.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-18-2009 at 01:42 AM   #24
mcinside
Elite Member

jesus, would you know when is the volunteer fair?
Thanks
Old 07-18-2009 at 01:46 AM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
jesus, would you know when is the volunteer fair?
Thanks
They don't say anything about this year on the website. Last year it was September 16th. So expect around this time, probably a little later since we are starting later than last year.
Old 07-18-2009 at 01:55 AM   #26
mcinside
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They don't say anything about this year on the website. Last year it was September 16th. So expect around this time, probably a little later since we are starting later than last year.
Wow, that's really early. But that's definitely a good thing...I would like to get exposed to volunteer/involvment opportunities early
Thanks Jeremy
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:23 AM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, I know! It's definitely early, but everything else is happening during that time.. so why not make it even busier >.< XD
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:48 AM   #28
Phoenix

If anyone is attending the Horizons Leadership Conference, you'll get to see some of the clubs in action!
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:57 AM   #29
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If anyone is attending the Horizons Leadership Conference, you'll get to see some of the clubs in action!
Ooh, Horizons should be more than awesome then . Anyone else plannign to come ?
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:59 AM   #30
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I went to Horizons in my first year! It was amazing! Enjoy yourselves!

~*Sara*~ likes this.