MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
21 Days until first class. Can you wait? gongshow Academics 45 08-21-2010 10:51 AM
Wait list number sonic Residence & Housing 1 08-13-2010 05:54 PM
Course Wait Listing? DumbEngKid Academics 2 05-06-2010 10:27 PM
Wait list! surena Residence & Housing 12 05-05-2009 06:02 PM
off campus - how long to wait asmrke General Discussion 5 01-19-2009 05:55 PM

Wait list for courses??

Old 06-28-2010 at 09:14 AM   #1
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

Wait list for courses??
I picked my courses on sunday and solar opened up at 12:00 and i was on right at 12:00 and got in but i still didn't manage to get into KIN 1Y03 and 1YY3 which i'm really upset about. Is there any way to get on a wait list or am i stuck waiting for someone to possibly drop out?
Old 06-28-2010 at 09:26 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
I picked my courses on sunday and solar opened up at 12:00 and i was on right at 12:00 and got in but i still didn't manage to get into KIN 1Y03 and 1YY3 which i'm really upset about. Is there any way to get on a wait list or am i stuck waiting for someone to possibly drop out?
After looking at their website, there is no waiting list. So you'll have to keep on trying. You could e-mail them but unless you have an extremely good reason, they won't open a spot for you.
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:12 AM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

In first year, they were full for me too...when I went to the science dept's info session about how to register for SOLAR, they took us into the computer labs so we could register or fix our course selections...they saw I was taking two maths and two physics, and in exchange for me dropping math 1AA3 and physics 1BB3, they opened me up spots in kin 1Y03/1YY3. It was no problem at all

If you're going to one of those SOLAR workshop things, they can probably do it for you there. If not, you can try emailing the science academic advisors ([email protected]) or try calling them, but you probably won't have as much luck--they'll probably tell you to keep checking SOLAR. You can also try emailing someone from the Kin dept.

The reason it was full right at midnight is probably because a lot of upper years took it as an elective, and they got to register before you.
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:34 AM   #4
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

If the course is required then give your department a call or an email and they will open a spot up for you.

And ya being a first year sucks when you have to pick courses since all you get is what ever is left over that us upper years didn't take. =\
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:38 AM   #5
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

that would be an insanely good idea though.
Old 06-28-2010 at 11:52 AM   #6
LivLucy

Liked: 0 Times

I want to get into Math 1LS3, but I can only take it in term 2. I ve finished my course registration but term 2 was full so I substituted with another math. If I want to get into the class I just keep returning to SOLAR for the 7 days to see if it opens up?

And if the 7 days goes by and it still hasn't opened up then am I out of luck?
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:02 PM   #7
dani.garc

Long story short, you're out of luck. Being in Kin and a TA for that course, I know that it's one of the more popular electives for Science students. It's also a prerequisite for all 200 first year Kin students. Unfortunately, there isn't a wait list and they usually only hold reserve seats for students in upper years that need it as a prerequisite for med schools. Also, they can't increase the enrollment numbers as the class is held in MDCL 1305, one of the larger lecture halls in the university. So as mentioned above, your best bet is to keep on checking SOLAR and hope that a seat opens up. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:03 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLucy View Post
I want to get into Math 1LS3, but I can only take it in term 2. I ve finished my course registration but term 2 was full so I substituted with another math. If I want to get into the class I just keep returning to SOLAR for the 7 days to see if it opens up?

SOLAR also reopens on July 12th, closes again and reopens on August 11th.
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:04 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani.garc View Post
Long story short, you're out of luck. Being in Kin and a TA for that course, I know that it's one of the more popular electives for Science students. It's also a prerequisite for all 200 first year Kin students. Unfortunately, there isn't a wait list and they usually only hold reserve seats for students in upper years that need it as a prerequisite for med schools. Also, they can't increase the enrollment numbers as the class is held in MDCL 1305, one of the larger lecture halls in the university. So as mentioned above, your best bet is to keep on checking SOLAR and hope that a seat opens up. Good luck.
That's very interesting to know... I should have tried to get a seat. Oh well, I don't even have elective space anyways
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:06 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

You can keep trying until the drop/add date for second term, which is at the beginning of January. You can also try emailing the math dept to see if they'll open up a spot, but if it's not a required course then they can't guarantee it.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:55 PM   #11
LivLucy

When would be the most appropriate time to email the department? Is it too soon?
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:57 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It's never too early to email them. If they ask you to email later, just wait until the date they suggest and reemail them at that point.

On another note, McMaster is to wait lists as SOLAR is to functional.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-30-2010 at 02:28 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It's never too early to email them. If they ask you to email later, just wait until the date they suggest and reemail them at that point.

On another note, McMaster is to wait lists as SOLAR is to functional.
McMaster as a unversity doesn't have wait lists, but there are departments have have created their own wait lists because they know how popular their courses are. Just browse their websites and you might find a wait list form application.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:45 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
McMaster as a unversity doesn't have wait lists, but there are departments have have created their own wait lists because they know how popular their courses are. Just browse their websites and you might find a wait list form application.
Any ones in particular?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-30-2010 at 03:07 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Any ones in particular?
I believe seeing them for languages, there are others too but I can't remember clearly. But you can find out which departments have them with a couple minutes of browsing.