MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waiting list :( jchoi92 Residence & Housing 192 08-30-2010 04:02 PM
Course waiting list SaphireFire Academics 2 08-12-2010 11:40 PM
CA waiting list pawmiii Residence & Housing 2 08-04-2010 11:26 AM
Waiting List?! Mfm12 Residence & Housing 3 06-24-2010 10:02 AM
HELP! - im on the waiting list for rez! futuremac Residence & Housing 21 07-18-2008 11:16 PM

Waiting List URGENT QUESTION

Old 07-02-2010 at 11:08 PM   #1
meena101

Liked: 4 Times

Waiting List URGENT QUESTION
Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. Today, I got notified that I am number 83 on the waiting list. I am a transfer student and I have some major concerns ! On my application I did check that I have a religious reason to live alone and to live on residence this year however when i checked it for some reason was never actually checked nor showed up when i reviewed my application today, but i did click it when i applied for sure. Secondly, my dad is sick with parkinsons and there is no way that so late i have to look at off campus housing, no way to bring furniture as I am 5 hours away and only my mom will be bringing me to school and what not. If I call housing on monday, will they consider that, esp when i DID click the religious reason for my residence application, as well as this new reason???

PLEASE HELP !

thanks
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:35 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

They don't take into account if you have special reasons to live on res. If you were guaranteed res but missed the payment/cutoff average, then you aren't guaranteed it anymore and they won't make special accomodations to get you on campus. There are people who live far enough away that they have to take a plane to get here, which severely limits how much they can bring (out of province/international students), yet they weren't able to get res.

Having said that, if you do get a spot in res, then you should get the accomodations that you checked off, but I don't know if there's any way of guaranteeing that anymore since they didn't plan for it, and once you're on the waiting list you pretty much take whatever spots become available. If you're on the waiting list but waiting for a single room only, then you're probably not going to get a spot. I think you're in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation--there's a decent (though not definite) chance you'll get a spot in res, but a very small chance it will be a single room. Call them though, and see what they say--I'm not sure what exactly their procedures are for people on the wait list that filled out a special accomodation form.

Edit: Also, just clicking that you need special accomodations isn't enough...You had to actually fill out a form with supporting documentation and everything. If you didn't do that, that might be why your request didn't go through.

Last edited by nerual : 07-03-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:38 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

If there's any more consolation, 83's not a bad place to be. In recent years, students on the waiting list past 100 got into res. If you really, really need to live alone, then it's not too late to look for places off campus -- and you do have like two months to move all your stuff in.
Old 07-03-2010 at 09:21 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You can also find rooms that are furnished (already have furniture) although how nice it is can vary from house to house. If you need I can give you the number of a landlord that offers furnished rooms where I used to stay, or you can call the OCRC (off campus resource center). They'll help you find a place!
Old 07-05-2010 at 12:43 PM   #5
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

As a transfer student myself, I was told that we are put on the same waiting list as upper year students.... After speaking to a friend of mine apparently a bunch of upper years she knows are planning on dropping out of rez....

I doubt you will get any preferencial treatment because you have no way of bringing your furniture... I mean, you assume the responsibility of choosing to attend a school far from your home....

On a lighter note *fingers crossed for us wait-listers*
Old 07-05-2010 at 12:43 PM   #6
meena101

whats your number on the waiting list ? lol
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:18 PM   #7
shes-a-diva*

I'm # 45
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:19 PM   #8
meena101

better than me im number 83 !! lol
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:30 PM   #9
shes-a-diva*

Yeah, well maybe since you put in a request for Special Accommodations (I'd assume you asked for a single room?) that's why.... They probably have less single bed rooms
Old 07-05-2010 at 03:04 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
If there's any more consolation, 83's not a bad place to be.
I think they managed to get through the first 130 or so when I came in. Unfortunately I was somewhere around position 260 :p.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 07-05-2010 at 03:17 PM   #11
meena101

haha ya but how late do you wait before u sign a lease off campus u know i cant wait forever LOL
Old 07-05-2010 at 04:01 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by meena101 View Post
haha ya but how late do you wait before u sign a lease off campus u know i cant wait forever LOL
Probably late July or early August at the latest if you want anything good.
Old 07-06-2010 at 12:30 PM   #13
eSsBee

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Im number 51,seems like the list isn't moving much,any idea around what dates we will see a shift.
I know around welcome week there will be a move but,anything before ?

Also,anyone know if I stand a good chance of getting residence??