MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job websites chuksmcc Volunteering Opportunities 4 09-14-2011 05:50 PM
Websites getting shutdown Rakim General Discussion 4 02-01-2011 11:05 PM
Scholarly Websites? shay2014 Academics 8 10-04-2010 11:17 AM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
New Websites for MSU and SOCS Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-31-2008 05:52 AM

Websites

Old 06-24-2012 at 07:08 PM   #1
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Websites
Hi,

I have some time on my hands for summer. I'm interested in making my own website. I've been doing some research but I'm having a hard time finding good information.

Can anyone give me advise if they have and run their own website?
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:28 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Start off with something simple like dreamweaver until you get a hang of html and css... then try to improve on it.

macsci likes this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 08:10 PM   #3
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

I've heard a lot about dreamweaver. What exactly is it? I was thinking of using wordpress.
Old 06-24-2012 at 09:06 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

What type of website are you interested in creating? If you have absolutely no knowledge and haven't created your own website before then I suggest HTMLDog as a starting point. That's what I did. I created a very simple personal website using pure HTML and CSS to get a solid understanding then I moved on to create a more complex site which is all on the content management system Joomla (think WordPress but gives you a bit more control).

Desda likes this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 10:23 PM   #5
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

A personal site. Basically showcasing my talents, mostly for photography. That's for starters. Later I would like to create something that can potentially give me some extra income.
Old 06-24-2012 at 10:31 PM   #6
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
A personal site. Basically showcasing my talents, mostly for photography. That's for starters. Later I would like to create something that can potentially give me some extra income.

If you want to be hosted by wordpress.com it is free , but your site will be mysite.wordpress.com
If you want your website to be formatted like "mysite.com" you have to pay for hosting but this time it uses wordpress.org . I personally use bluehost.com for hosting and I buy my domain name from domain.com! You can also purchase a domain name from bluehost. When you buy a bluehost account , you can open a website using the wordpress appliciation in blue host. Do these steps and I can help you after you begin with the basics

Also after making you website look for themes on themeforest.net
Old 06-24-2012 at 10:49 PM   #7
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Buy cheap webhosting from hostgator or something, a domain from namecheap.com or something similar, install wordpress, buy a nice portfolio theme from themeforest.net and it should be pretty easy to figure out from there
Old 06-25-2012 at 11:53 AM   #8
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

awesome thanks for the advice. I'm seeing a lot of different prices though. From $13 for the year to $13 a month. For example on GoDaddy it says $12.99 for the year. I like what hostgator is offering. Which of these providers would you recommend in terms of beginners that would help the most?
Old 06-25-2012 at 01:08 PM   #9
guerilla

Quote:
awesome thanks for the advice. I'm seeing a lot of different prices though. From $13 for the year to $13 a month. For example on GoDaddy it says $12.99 for the year. I like what hostgator is offering. Which of these providers would you recommend in terms of beginners that would help the most?
You can grab a free month of hosting from Hostgator with the coupon "FIRSTMONTHFREE20 12" I believe, but they will still require your credit card on file. Either Hostgator or Bluehost are good choices for starting out as both are the biggest brands around and have a lot more money and customers to be able to offer you greater service for the price. In terms of technical help, both of these hosts have outsourced help centres so the support you will receive should you need any questions answered will be mediocre at best. There is plenty of guides outlining most anything you'd want to do in cPanel on YouTube though.

In terms of the prices, the $13/month fee is likely for hosting and the $12.99/year fee is likely for a domain (although both bluehost and hostgator offer starter plans for shared hosting which begin at around $5/month). You will need both a domain and hosting in order to create a website. I'd recommend purchasing your domain from either Namecheap or Godaddy, as both are giants in the industry and can offer more benefits to their customers. Personally I go with Namecheap because it is a little bit easier to get things done with them and there is less upsells, Godaddy will try to slap extra things on to your bill. You can also use the coupon code "DEDOMAIN" to get a discount on .com/.net/.org/.biz domains from namecheap. I would advise against purchasing your domain from the same place as your hosting.

Scuderia says thanks to guerilla for this post.
Old 06-25-2012 at 01:22 PM   #10
sud28

Liked: 2 Times

I also suggest that you use a cms like Joomla or Wordpress. It is extremely easy to learn how to use and you don't need any css or html knowledge . I am currently only using Joomla to run our society's website - www.maclss.com.

In terms of buying a domain or hosting , i recommend you avoid GoDaddy. The hosting company i am using is Daves Network - http://www.davesnetwork.ca - Costs only $20 a year including taxes for Hosting.
Old 06-25-2012 at 02:43 PM   #11
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud28 View Post
I also suggest that you use a cms like Joomla or Wordpress. It is extremely easy to learn how to use and you don't need any css or html knowledge . I am currently only using Joomla to run our society's website - www.maclss.com.

In terms of buying a domain or hosting , i recommend you avoid GoDaddy. The hosting company i am using is Daves Network - http://www.davesnetwork.ca - Costs only $20 a year including taxes for Hosting.
Ugh so much to choose from. Okay so I found this site: http://lawchristopher.com/. This is similar to what I'm looking for. I believe he uses wordpress. So I think bluehost might be the best option but they don't seem to have .ca domains and it's a little pricey.

Dave's network says it's $30 Annually. How do I get the $20 deal and just to get things clear, once I get my domain how do I go about editing it and making the actual site? Is this where Joomla comes in? Would there be an additional cost?
Old 06-25-2012 at 02:56 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Register a domain from godaddy, and for hosting, check out redflagdeals - there are a few people that have FREE monthly hosting offered (with reasonable bandwidth and data limitations)
Old 06-25-2012 at 03:56 PM   #13
guerilla

Quote:
Ugh so much to choose from. Okay so I found this site: http://lawchristopher.com/. This is similar to what I'm looking for. I believe he uses wordpress. So I think bluehost might be the best option but they don't seem to have .ca domains and it's a little pricey.

Dave's network says it's $30 Annually. How do I get the $20 deal and just to get things clear, once I get my domain how do I go about editing it and making the actual site? Is this where Joomla comes in? Would there be an additional cost?
I'd strongly suggest that you purchase your domain from Namecheap or Godaddy, purchasing a domain name from your webhost leaves room for potential issues.

Here is essentially what you will have to do:

Step 1) Buy a domain (Namecheap or Godaddy are great options as there are a lot of tutorials out there on how to use their interface)

Step 2) Buy a shared web hosting plan (use any of the web hosts mentioned above, they should all work fine - all of them operate from cPanel as far as I can tell)

Step 3) Forward your domain's DNS to your web host, here is a video outlining how to do it from the Namecheap interface:

Step 4) Go into cPanel and create a mysql database so that you can use wordpress, here is a video that outlines how to do that:

Step 5) Install wordpress to your server, here is a video outlining how to do that:

From there you will be able to configure your website from the wordpress admin panel, which can be accessed at www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin

If you are still confused, I've found this video that outlines everything here step by step but it is a bit dated (from 2008) but you should still be able to follow it just fine:

Scuderia says thanks to guerilla for this post.